Figure out what Attila is speaking

I would imagine Boudica will speak Welsh, as it's the probably the closest language to what she spoke that has lots of speakers. Other, mostly unspoken languages they could choose are probably just as distant so I doubt they've gone out of their way.
Until now all the recordings have been done in Montreal, Canada, and the voice actors have mostly been people living there.
Since a lot of Scots emigrated to Canada, getting a Scottish Gaelic speaker might even be easier.
Scots Gaelic sounds completely different from Welsh Gaelic, though. Irish Gaelic I haven't heard in a long time. Does anyone have a clue what Boudicca might have been speaking - like what would be the closest modern variant?

Until now all the recordings have been done in Montreal, Canada, and the voice actors have mostly been people living there.
Since a lot of Scots emigrated to Canada, getting a Scottish Gaelic speaker might even be easier.
Scots Gaelic sounds completely different from Welsh Gaelic, though. Irish Gaelic I haven't heard in a long time. Does anyone have a clue what Boudicca might have been speaking - like what would be the closest modern variant?

Boudicca spoke Celtic, probably before Welsh and the Gaelics were separate languages. Think of it as Augustus speaking Latin, but Romance has been replaced in Italy by Germanic. Does he speak Spanish, French?

Welsh is closest to Boudica's lands. But Welsh changed alot from influence of Latin 100 to 400, and the Gaelics are more conservative in many important respects.
For fun, lets compare Boudica's name, which means "Victorious One":
Scottish Gaelic: buadhach
Welsh: buddug
Both similar and different from Boudic- in different ways.

I heard that Montezuma's voice actor was recorded in Mexico. Possibly Pachacuti's voice actor was recorded in Peru.

I heard that Montezuma's voice actor was recorded in Mexico. Possibly Pachacuti's voice actor was recorded in Peru.

It does not take alot of effort to get an actor into a studio anywhere in the world, say a few lines and have the sound emailed to Montreal, after all. So back to the original topic, anyone figure out what language hes talking in?

So here's what we know about Attila's language:

It's not Hungarian, but could be another Uralic language

It's not Germanic

It's not Latin

It's not Mongolic

It could be Turkic (like Chuvash)

It could be Ossetian (Iranian, Indo-European)

Not sure how we would go about this, but could we look at the staff listings for Firaxis/2k or something for a "gothic/hungarian/chuvash...etc".

Only got this idea from most the plot points from the Dark Knight Rises being skimmed from random casting lists :lol:

The voice actors don't work for Firaxis. However, they were credited in the manual. If they have a manual for G&K, they'll list them there. We can then try googling their names.

As it's generally thought that Boudicca would have spoken a form of Brythonic, the most authentic option would be to go for a later Brythonic/P-Celtic language, so probably Welsh, with outside options being Breton or Cornish. We know next to nothing about Pictish, but many think it may have been related to Brythonic.

Scottish Gaelic and Irish both belong to the other group of Celtic languages, the Goidelic/Q-Celtic family, so I don't think they would be suitable. But they seem to be going with a Scottish-themed Boudicca, so there's a good chance it'll be Scottish Gaelic. Historically though I'd say Welsh (ideally Old Welsh if they can find someone who speaks it there - I know someone, but she lives over here) is the best option and I'm hoping they will at least pick something Brythonic.

Thank you both for your answers, by the way. I would personally find any sort of Gaelic acceptable for her, it being well acted much more important.

I'm surprised there's still so much mist around Attila's speech.

Well, it's not a well-known language no matter what. I think the fact that we eliminated a couple are pretty good.

There used to be a huge Gaelic population in Quebec, but it has been alternatively Francized or Anglicized. Be honest, even though I've made a case for using Gaelic, I'd prefer she had Welsh. Most people would expect this for Boudica, as the Welsh are seen as the Celtic version of the English and this is basically what Boudica represents. Speakers should be fivolously easy to find. Welsh is by far the strongest Celtic language in terms of rootedness in actual living language communities, probably the only healthy one still around. Also leaves the door open for a rename to "Britons" or "Gauls", with a new Irish civ or a Scottish one for XP or DLC. :D

It sounds Turkic language with Mongolian voice acting. Words are more likely Turkic but melody in speech sounds very Mongolian. I guess, It is not Kumyk also. Probably Idil Bulgarian or Tatar dialect of Turkic language used in this scene.

It definitely doesn't not speak with Turkic intonation but it is rather little fault compared to Gothic speaking Attila.

I'm really glad that developers considered cultural and historical heritage of Turkic language as I mentioned in another thread before. http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=11331506&postcount=66

It sounds Turkic language with Mongolian voice acting. Words are more likely Turkic but melody in speech sounds very Mongolian. I guess, It is not Kumyk also. Probably Idil Bulgarian or Tatar dialect of Turkic language used in this scene.

It definitely doesn't not speak with Turkic intonation but it is rather little fault compared to Gothic speaking Attila.

I'm really glad that developers considered cultural and historical heritage of Turkic language as I mentioned in another thread before. http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=11331506&postcount=66

Do you mean Kazan Tatar instead of Crimean Tatar? It sounds plausible. Chuvash has less speakers than Tatar, so maybe they chose Tatar.

Pangur Bán;11407955 said:
There used to be a huge Gaelic population in Quebec, but it has been alternatively Francized or Anglicized. Be honest, even though I've made a case for using Gaelic, I'd prefer she had Welsh. Most people would expect this for Boudica, as the Welsh are seen as the Celtic version of the English and this is basically what Boudica represents. Speakers should be fivolously easy to find. Welsh is by far the strongest Celtic language in terms of rootedness in actual living language communities, probably the only healthy one still around. Also leaves the door open for a rename to "Britons" or "Gauls", with a new Irish civ or a Scottish one for XP or DLC. :D

Hmm, I like this line of thought...

Top Bottom