Maya

I can't wait to try the Mayans. Playing with a different calendar seems awesome. Perhaps the Pyramid will give culture or faith.

Do we have to deduce that shrines give +2 faith, then?

The Shrine is already known to give 1 Faith/turn, so I would assume that the Pyramid Has 1 more Faith than the regular Shrine plus the Science.

Ok, seems like a fairly good unique building then!

I agree, +2 faith and +2 science Shrine is great, you can focus on early faith without neglecting science.

Damn, got beaten to it.

So...now that the rumor is confirmed, I think my opinion of Mayans wrt the other civs has changed big time. I was already thinking of playing Mayans first.

On paper it states free GP. However can I get a GPro if I haven't founded a pantheon yet? Can I get GAdm if none of my cities are next to a coast? Well the answer's in one month I guess! :crazyeye:

Mind that it comes into force when you research Theology. That makes a lot of difference.

Mind that it comes into force when you research Theology. That makes a lot of difference.

When do people usually research theology ?
Rarely before year zero unless you sacrifice a great Scientist or have the Great Library. I guess Long Count will give four to five Great People per game. That still places them in the top tier.

Assuming that a realistic expectation is 5 GPs from Long Count, that is still quite powerful as it doesn't exclude normal GP generation or free GPs from HS/Liberty/etc. I feel even Babylon would be playing catch-up and that's just talking about GSes.

Anyway for your informational pleasure:

I spent way too much time on this, but if the Maya Calendar follows a rough turn comparison with the Gregorian calendar, here is the result for each Long Count:

Year Turn
2720 - 33
2325 - 42
1931 - 52
1537 - 62
1143 - 73
748 - 85
354 - 101
41 AD - 116
435 - 133
830 - 152
1224 - 182
1618 - 234
2012 - 432

Ignoring the gap between the last two (which is 198 turns), the rest are very close together - sometimes only 10 turns apart. If I had to guess, they'd apply it far more linearly, rather than give you something every ten turns from turn 30-80. Alternatively, they'd give different bonuses, that don't add up to something so dramatic.

Which now we know is not true, turns 85-182 will be a GP joyride for Mayans.

Top Bottom