Featurette 1 Analysis and Discussion thread.

No, that is a graphical bug, it is a mountain. I'm not sure what exactl causes it to "disform" and "flatten" but it is 99% a mountain tile enxt to the Gilbatar.

That would effectively mean that you lose spies if you want a diplomat!
Seeing as spies are powerful for taking techs, rigging elections, making coups, and counterintelligence, choosing to NEVER have a diplomat is clearly the best choice - spies are few, making one a permanent diplomat would make them even more so!
To me, it is quite clear that spies are more flexible than the one-trick-pony diplomats - that's why it's plain to see that diplomats ARE spies, they are expanding the actions a spy can make!

But maybe I'm just weird and I'm the only one who always feels I never have enough spies! :lol:

In the end, while it is possible, it would be incredibly stupid to forever lose a spy - not even when killed they are forever lost, and yet by giving them one mission they can no longer return?! :lol:

Spoiler :

I actually forgot Diplomats can increase Tourism against the Civilization they are stationed in! :) But yeah, nothing on the window is pointing to a permanent change in the spy's role - in fact, it even says "your spy will escape the city."

One would think that losing permanently your spy would imply a big red warning "THIS SPY WILL FOREVER BE LOST - YOU SURE YOU WANT THAT?" type of pop-up, not a "Your spy can steal techs or conduct propaganda - what will it be?" pop-up. :lol:

Aye, I don't think it's very likely that you'll permanently convert spies to diplomats. I wonder though if that basically means that you'll have some kind of ping-pong between spies and diplomats as you weigh up your tech stealing/couping against the impending commencement of the next WC.

You'll probably be able to make a diplomat into a spy again, maybe they need to leave the city first though (otherwise the other civ would know who the spy is after all :))

Spy: Informations on Civ, Tech Stealing
Diplomat, Informations on Civ, Better Tourism + Knowledge on which way they'll vote

Seems balanced and it basically means more things to do for spies so that 'coups' should get rarer as the AI uses them for other stuff as well... Or at least that's what I hope for.

I think the reason given was that they spread propaganda about your civ in the target civ and generally try to paint it in a favorable light.
EDIT: Wow, double-ninja'd by a few seconds.

You'll probably be able to make a diplomat into a spy again, maybe they need to leave the city first though (otherwise the other civ would know who the spy is after all :))

Spy: Informations on Civ, Tech Stealing
Diplomat, Informations on Civ, Better Tourism + Knowledge on which way they'll vote

Seems balanced and it basically means more things to do for spies so that 'coups' should get rarer as the AI uses them for other stuff as well... Or at least that's what I hope for.

Well to be exact,
Spy: Tech stealing, CS Coup-ing, CS election rigging, can be placed in any city
Diplomat: Able to trade for WC votes, knowledge of how the other civ will vote, increased Tourism, may only go to capital cities
Both will gather Intrigue and give vision of the city they're placed in.

I suspect Diplomats will become extremely important in the later eras once tech stealing becomes difficult due to defensive buildings and the WC/UN gets more important, but it will depend on how Firaxis has balanced CS coups (if at all), vote trading and tourism. If you can't change Diplomats back into Spies it won't be that bad I think.

:lol: I actually got excited thinking he was talking about the Great Engineer's icon!

I'm still hoping for era-specific Great People icons, along side Workers, Caravans and Cargo Ships... :D

But yeah, Modern Era Great Engineers have always looked like that - no news there...

:lol: I actually got excited thinking he was talking about the Great Engineer's icon!

I'm still hoping for era-specific Great People icons, along side Workers, Caravans and Cargo Ships... :D

But yeah, Modern Era Great Engineers have always looked like that - no news there...

It's not that unlikely.

Why does a diplomat increase tourism?
Am I missing something or is that totaly stupid?

Because that is one of the things embassies do, promote tourism and trade. And of course they are there to present a good image to the host nation.

Umm...Samuel Morse a great artist? Wasn't that the guy who invented telegraphs? (Morse code)

That would effectively mean that you lose spies if you want a diplomat!
Seeing as spies are powerful for taking techs, rigging elections, making coups, and counterintelligence, choosing to NEVER have a diplomat would be clearly the best choice - spies are few, making one a permanent diplomat would make them even more so!
To me, it is quite clear that spies are more flexible than the one-trick-pony diplomats - that's why it's plain to see that diplomats ARE spies, they are expanding the actions a spy can make! In other words, they are expanding the espionage system, not creating a complete new system.

But maybe I'm just weird and I'm the only one who always feels I never have enough spies! :lol:

In the end, while it is possible, it would be incredibly stupid to forever lose a spy - not even when killed they are forever lost, and yet by giving them one mission they can no longer return?! :lol:
Well, I've been in many games where I've either surpassed everyone in tech or wanted to play completely nice and not be accused of spying so I for one would not mind a diplomat instead. Furthermore, I agree with other posters that later in the game as it becomes harder to steal tech, schmoozing votes and boosting tourism would make a diplomat preferable.
Aye, I don't think it's very likely that you'll permanently convert spies to diplomats. I wonder though if that basically means that you'll have some kind of ping-pong between spies and diplomats as you weigh up your tech stealing/couping against the impending commencement of the next WC.
If it's not permanent then why the warning screen? I think it definitely could be and therefore requires you to make a hard decision instead of a "for a few turns" decision.
Because that is one of the things embassies do, promote tourism and trade. And of course they are there to present a good image to the host nation.
Well... consider New Zealand

If it's not permanent then why the warning screen? I think it definitely could be and therefore requires you to make a hard decision instead of a "for a few turns" decision.

That is hardly a warning screen - there's very little they are warning about. Simply put, placing a spy on a civilization's capital can have one of two results: the spy can steal tech, or spread propaganda. Obviously the game can't guess what you want, so it asked you.

Were it a warning screen, it would actually warn you that the decision is permanent. And as I pointed out, it still calls them "a spy" even in the context where they a diplomat. Sure, there are other similar pop-ups, like the Adopt Policy one, but adopting a policy doesn't permanently remove one of the policies you already had. The only exception being when you select to open a tree that conflicts with another you had already open, in which case it does warn you of that. One would expect a "Doing so will mean losing your spy" or similar wording somewhere on the wall-o'-text.

Well, I've been in many games where I've either surpassed everyone in tech or wanted to play completely nice and not be accused of spying so I for one would not mind a diplomat instead. Furthermore, I agree with other posters that later in the game as it becomes harder to steal tech, schmoozing votes and boosting tourism would make a diplomat preferable.

Between rigging elections in City-States and Counterintelligence in my most populated cities, I always have things to do with my spies. City-States, in particular, are a big element of my strategy, and it's not rare for me to have a bunch of City-State Allies, more than any other civilization. In games where I'm doing particularly well, it's common to ally every single City-State. This obviously comes with a price, and spies help immensely with that.

If it's not permanent then why the warning screen? I think it definitely could be and therefore requires you to make a hard decision instead of a "for a few turns" decision.[/URL]

it's not so much a warning screen as it is a notification. More than likely, that just shows up whenever you put a spy in a friendly capital.

Top Bottom