Civ V NOOB Question No. 2

CedricTheAwesom

Chieftain
I played Civ IV before V and was used to its mechanics and where everything was displayed, but things are really different in Civ5. Do you still need to build a road from a resource (like a corral, mine, etc.) to a city in order to add it to your trade network? Also, how can you see what resources are in your trade network? In Civ4 there was a list on the upper right hand corner of the city screen, and in Civ5 I can see resources like horses and iron at the very top of the screen, but nothing else, and I have WAY more resources than that. Thank you!! :king:

No, you don't need to build roads to resources.

To see what resources you have, go to the economic adviser. There you can see what luxury resources you currently have access to.

There is also a drop-down menu on the top left of the screen (typically shows what tech you are currently researching). The resources tab of that menu provides details about your resources, including imports and exports from trades and resources provided by city-state alliances.

I played Civ IV before V and was used to its mechanics and where everything was displayed, but things are really different in Civ5. Do you still need to build a road from a resource (like a corral, mine, etc.) to a city in order to add it to your trade network? Also, how can you see what resources are in your trade network? In Civ4 there was a list on the upper right hand corner of the city screen, and in Civ5 I can see resources like horses and iron at the very top of the screen, but nothing else, and I have WAY more resources than that. Thank you!! :king:
you dont need roads but you do need to build the proper improvement IE: mine,plantation,camp ect.

I can see resources like horses and iron at the very top of the screen, but nothing else, and I have WAY more resources than that.

Actually, in the early eras, horses and iron are the only strategic resources that you have. You probably have some luxury resources too (each tile is just one). Other terrain features, e.g. bison and stone, just buff the tile and maybe unlock a building in the closest city, but are not resources per se.

So I have another question about resources...
It seems that when I discover a resource, it's added to my empire, but then I "use it up" whenever I train a unit that requires it. Is there anyway to replenish it without finding new sources? How am I supposed to have a wel-equipped army when they use up so many resources?

There's lots of units that don't require any resources. Also, some units that require resources will free up those resources later when you upgrade them to units that don't require them.

Settling/warring for the sake of more resources one of the larger facets of the game.

Top Bottom