How Am I Supposed To Survive (Early)

^^Thanks for the info about the negative gold. Unfortunately, I quit the game and trashed the saves (and emptied the trash) :(

If it ever happens again, I will definitely post it here.

Thanks again.

If you have negative gpt and will gave negative gold next turn, the difference is subtracted from your current bpt, and you gold stays zero. Usually gpt should only become a problem if you have done an excess in building army or stealing workers.

On rare occasion, the game will disband units on me. That has only ever been late game though. Do you know what is the threshold for that to occur?

I think that's to do with your net gold. In H-C-A games, for instance, I frequently have massive GPT shortages while having massive actual gold. Never had any units disbanded. Must be when your actual gold stays at zero for a while AND your GPT is negative that the game does that!

Yes, disbanding units has to do with net gold. Maybe ending the turn at 0 gold for a certain number of turns in a row? Or 0 gold with very high negative gpt?

I can be at 0 gold and negative gpt and not have units disbanded. The warning comes up every turn. This can go several many turns in row, but without me having units disbanded. Naturally, I am trying to remedy the situation, and ending turns in the black when I can (but maybe less than my negative gpt). But I have yet to figure out just how bad my economy has to get before units start disappearing!

And of course, the game disbands units with the most XP first! So when I get into this sort of crisis mode, I will start disbanding units on my own. I might be at triple digit negative gpt but disband one worker at the end of my turn. So I end the turn with 17 gold, and the game will not disband a veteran unit on the front line. Of course, it is not like I have an unlimited supply of idle workers, but this tactic can stretch things out quite a while...

But I would like to start that vicious cycle on my own -- before the game does it for me!

I'm 90% certain that disbanding happens when you're at least ten gold short. So, if you're on -17GPT, and you've got 6G as you end turn, you're risking a desertion next turn.

I have not played the unmodded game for years, so I do not remember where the info exactly is, but I think that if you hover over the gold/income in the top panel or click it, you will get a breakdown of your income and costs - this can help you identify where the problem is and what costs you the money.

Also are you running your first trade route for gold or are you using it for food?

Top Bottom