Civilization III: Worldwide

See what the critics are saying about Civilization III: Worldwide!

"Do not have room on my hard drive now" - Moosezilla
"Ignore this" - vmxa
"still not working :(" - King Coltrane
"Obese..." Balthasar
"There are not that big amount of units with huge and unnecessary number of replicas" - Nihtantuel
"I downloaded it for 3 times and it has no all of the files" - Sandris
"I hate respawning AI. :p" - Tntph03nix
"1. No. 2. No " - General 666
"... At any rate, the game won't load" - stormcrow216
"it's a crazy mess of a file" - Tom2050
"Good to see that I'm not the only maniac..." Ares de Borg
"the game keeps on crashing" - donutmancuzco

:rotfl:

Oh man.. had me cracking up at that one!

Anthony,

Thanks for making this mod. I just started playing CIV3 again, and I stumbled upon this yesterday, downloaded it, and tried it out this morning.

I started paying as Scandinavia, and I've discovered Sea Travel and Ship Building, but I can't build any boats.

Also, as I was scrolling though the units on the civilopedia, I got an Entry Not Found error (or something like that) when I was around the Ss or Us.

I also found some missing entry for a tech, but I can't remember what it was. I'll check again and see.

Overall it looks great, and I'm really excited to test it out more when I get the chance.

Thanks guys. Corrected update of the game is now available in post 1 and the database. I need to check that missing units civilopdia file; I did a final check of this immediately before uploading and did not have a crash. The others were sloppy work.

King, all wooden naval ships have -1 hit points. The is so that ships could have a progression of strength over time while still being suitably vulnerable to aircraft. I chose the stats so that air units would be very strong against ships but not overwhelming against land targets. Watch out for AI rocket stockpiles in the Modern Era, now. There's no defense against these and they will gleefully target your ships.

Wooden ships -1 HP
Ironclads 0 HP
Small steel ships (destroyers, subs, cruisers, transports) +1 HP
Large ships (Battleships, carriers, anti-air and guided missile ships) +2 HP
Nimitz class carriers +3 HP

first, it's a nice MOD! over 1G, man, you're awesome. That's a work deserves lots of appreciations!!
but, could you upload to other servers? like megaupload or filesonic? It's really difficult to download from atomicgamer. It alway brokes and cannot download continuously.
I know it's pretty new and needs to be shared worldwidely...ha ~~
nice work!!!
:goodjob::goodjob:

I'm having a great game as Japan. Absolute domination. I've been very wily and attacked civs just after they conclude their own wars and are most spread out/vulnerable.

I just took Zaragoza, an island city and was pleased to see that I can now build Mercenary Camps, Squires, Luxuries, Prize Ships, Privateers (dont know why this isnt available normally btw) and some other goodies due to the phantom resource bug. lucky me!

Attachments

• phantom resource bug at its finest.jpg
    phantom resource bug at its finest.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 384
hey how do u install prestige does it include all the other civs and stuff

Real quick-like...

I'll see how else I can make the download available this weekend. At the least I'll have the download in parts option available. Scal, the 'Prestige' version in post #3 is an add-on to the previous main game, so it only has the new stuff. You just drop it right into your old folder. The download in Post #1 is the entire game.

King, that's the first time I've seen the resource bug. I'm going to have to reread Pounder's threads. I find that having these unbuildable units require an impossible strategic resource is preferable to having a 1000 king units. More on this later.

The game download is now available in five parts, each of roughly 275-325 mb a piece. If you have more suggestions for where to upload the game, please post. I have not have much luck with other sites yet but do want to make the accomodations for those who have difficulty with atomicgamer.

Played a few different games and have a few initial thoughts.

1. Big improvement on the first version. Really fun to play. Not that the first one wasn't fun, but this is definitely better.

2. Love the Nomadic Migration small wonder and the Call-to-Arms improvement that you can get with cheiftanship. Only thing is that by the time I have built Nomadic Migration and have got some horses and built some Call-to-Arms I have researched Kingship. Then I'm faced with the choice between switching to a better govt or sticking with Chieftanship to get some free horsemen and tribe settlers. Is this intentional? I haven't yet seen a single tribe being used by the AI so I suspect that they change to Kingship before they get a chance to generate many tribes. The level I'm playing on is Monarchy by the way if that helps. I was thinking that perhaps decreasing how long it takes to build Nomadic Migration and Call-to-Arms might be a good idea or making Kingship take a little longer to get. Not a big deal though.

3. Attributes system seems better than ever. Great part of your mod. Loving the blacksmiths that produce the craftsman guys that upgrade to catipults etc.

4. I've noticed that a few of the AI's seem to be unusally rich. Sorry didn't note down which civs they were but in my first game two civs had around 3000 gold in the middle of the ancient era when most other civs only had a few hundred and in my latest game one civ has close to 5000 gold. Could this be due to civ specific wonders/buildings?

5. Small civilopedia issue. The hoplite link in the Parthenon civilopedia page doesn't work properly.

Well back to playing. Looking forward to finding out what the middle ages has in store.

EDIT: Just saw my first AI moving a tribe unit.

EDIT 2: Spice trader doesn't say that it's an attribute and doen't have a '*' before it's name.

Thanks, Nick!

The Chieftain buildings were quite intentionally designed to hit you right when you have the option to get Kingship. I wanted to put the player to a choice for all his chips early in the game. Chieftain also has no war weariness, while even a few setbacks can cause war weariness in a Kingship, and in the Ancient Era every happy face counts. I did a lot more DEBUG test games this time around and the AI will definitely build these new buildings and benefit from them, but it's all of question on when they will research Kingship and switch governments. Originally the Call to Arms did not require horses, and the AI had swarms of Horsemen very early on.

For much of my testing, the AI opponents were dead broke. So I'm surprised some of them got that rich early on. I made some adjustments to make money easier in the first two eras and things a little more expensive in eras 3 and 4, when treasuries blow all out of proportion. It seems to me like it's more of a wealth equity problem, with some civs getting filthy rich and others have to work weekends doing custodial jobs.

I'm wondering if some of these text files get corrupted during all this uploading and downloading. The hoplite link from the Parthenon works fine on mine, but the Falxman entry developed a space in a text file that made it not work when I did my trial download. Guess we'll see if someone else spots it.

Spice trader was a regular buildings until the last minute...thanks for spotting that! A lot of buildings got the axe during testing, or were made to toe the line. Otherwise the AI has to build everything and goes broke under the maintenance costs!

Early strategic resources in Worldwide are more common than regular Conquests for just that reason. You could conquer a whole continent and still not have iron. I haven't had a game without gold yet, so I underestimated the problem of not having wealth available. This will be rectified. I like the idea of gold as a hard currency reserve, so maybe I can think of some other buildings or mercenary units that would require this.

China was the second civ to be developed, and I was still getting my feet wet on what I wanted. I knew the 'imperial bureaucracy' thing was a kicker, so I might limit it to one unit rather than two. Cannons are stupidly powerful, and China gets them with gunpowder instead of metallurgy. Sounds like you had quite the force! I've also been thinking about having 'amphibious' available earlier, maybe to the swordsman-grenadier line. China is missing the Renaissance upgrade between Tang and fusiliers; I'd have to find a unit for that.

I didn't want to make the game too different from regular civ. My main motivation was to make it look different. The handful of computer games I've played, such as Total War, Sins of a Solar Empire, and World in Conflict, all have different faction graphics for units that are very similar, and that's what I like. The English Longbowman actually has a 4.2.1 instead of the usual 4.1.1., but I see what you're getting at. The German carrier will be corrected, that's a pure screw up since I changed naval stats so much over the course of development.

I will not be making a World map version. Europe and the Middle East would be overcrowded, and the Americas, Africa, and Australia would be wide open. Also, there's other civ stuff that I'm working on next. I'll just wait for the CCM World map :)

Well if you use the TETurkhan: Test of Time 362x362 earth map you will see europe is much bigger. I was able to fit 8 cities in france and about 6 cities in Britain. A world map would be epic! I downloaded and extracted the mod. What else do I do to play it?

After extracting, put the Worldwide folder in your Scenarios folder. Directly inside it you should see an Art and a Text folder. You can download the latest game Biq in the first post of this thread, and put that in your scenarios folder too. Then start Civ 3, and choose it from the Civ Content menu.

I'm not really interested in doing a World map. Although someone else is welcome to if they like.

With only 24 (amazing) civs, a real world map is a little hard to do. However, I have gotten a pretty good Eurasia going using Artemisarrow's Classical World map. I had to turn off sea trading to keep the turn times low, but so far it has been really worth it!

Of course, I had to move some Civs around. Ethiopia and the Low Countries were thrown into the Middle East to help fluff it out, the Mesoamerica was put into Southeast Asia while the US was made Korea, and I think I put the West Africans into Kazakhstan, just to fill in some empty room. All other Civs are in their historical locations.

I suppose I could share it if anyone wanted, or you could just take my idea and create it yourself.

But more importantly, I just have to say how much more I love this mod. It may be the only one I play now. Great job! :goodjob:

Thanks guys. Corrected update of the game is now available in post 1 and the database. I need to check that missing units civilopdia file; I did a final check of this immediately before uploading and did not have a crash. The others were sloppy work.

King, all wooden naval ships have -1 hit points. The is so that ships could have a progression of strength over time while still being suitably vulnerable to aircraft. I chose the stats so that air units would be very strong against ships but not overwhelming against land targets. Watch out for AI rocket stockpiles in the Modern Era, now. There's no defense against these and they will gleefully target your ships.

Wooden ships -1 HP
Ironclads 0 HP
Small steel ships (destroyers, subs, cruisers, transports) +1 HP
Large ships (Battleships, carriers, anti-air and guided missile ships) +2 HP
Nimitz class carriers +3 HP

With WW2 ships having +HP surely will give them even better strenght vs aircrafts than in Vanilla.
Shouldn´t you have perhaps HP0 on the best WW2 Battleships as a "kickoff" point. Having wooden ships much lower, perhaps -3 HP.
As of this Large ships with +2Hp have actually 2x their defensive strength, so if my math is correct they will be much harder to destroy than tanks.
The idea of having ships weaker against aircrafts are nice, but messing with HP will perhaps even give problems ships vs ships.
Have you tested this fact 110% ?

With WW2 ships having +HP surely will give them even better strenght vs aircrafts than in Vanilla.
Shouldn´t you have perhaps HP0 on the best WW2 Battleships as a "kickoff" point. Having wooden ships much lower, perhaps -3 HP.
As of this Large ships with +2Hp have actually 2x their defensive strength, so if my math is correct they will be much harder to destroy than tanks.
The idea of having ships weaker against aircrafts are nice, but messing with HP will perhaps even give problems ships vs ships.
Have you tested this fact 110% ?

Quite a lot, actually. -3 HP ships would cease to exist. -1 is the minimum, as this puts conscript boats (Barbarians) at 1 Hit point. Remember that fighters, air superiority fighters, and attack aircraft all have high bombard ratings, 2 movement, blitz, and lethal sea bombard. This is a great increase over their regular Civ 3 stats. Land units are also much stronger (they have bonus hit points too), and together with their defensive bonus and the lack of lethal land bombard, can take much more punishment than ships. I'm happy with where naval units have ended up. Feel free to adjust the game to your liking if you wish.

Top Bottom