Isolated start

True, you might run into happiness difficulties. But this can be managed if you plan ahead!

Not really, especially if you picked sun god, with a growth follower belief. You'll hit happiness cap before you have access to astronomy/printing press. I've had to stagnate cities on purpose before to deal with this issue, to allow capital some more room to growth. This is especially true if you have a strong city with Petra/HG on lower difficulty where it was still possible to build without a nearby AI.

Well it's never been an issue for me on Immortal - I don't know about Deity because I rarely play at that level but isolation has been fine for me. I even had had a game where all my Pantheon's were growth related, I had internal trade routes, ToA and HG and still managed to keep my happiness on the plus. I guess it's however people prioritise their games I suppose

Well it depends on many factors, you only have limited luxuries, you have to ally city states if they're around, and you have to beeline Colloseums

Well, unless you disable City States you are never going to have a truely isolated start because you will meet one or two CSs quickly enough and if you are isolated from other Civs, it means you can complete quests for them without competition.

Any chance of a 4000BC save? I want to put a capital on that Marble and try GLib, NC, Oracle, Petra.

Yeah, took a look at the OP's map, I can pretty much guarantee petra/HG/ToA in capital on anything below deity, plus a huge amount of wonders, in addition to 5-6 cities. Be capped on happiness due to insane cargo food potential, since there are only silver, marble and silk in sight.

That's true the happiness can be a problem in isolated/semi isolated starts. One of my responses to that problem is to establish port cities next to new luxuries asap. Pretty much all down to trying to gain sea faring and navigation as fast as possible. Anything else is of secondary concerns.

People who think isolated starts are easier or same as 'normal' starts especially on higher difficulties should take a look in recent GOTM: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=551597

It's Brazil deity GOTM with designed culture victory. You start with three different luxes including salts, mountain,river, hills, forest, etc, but ...isolated; anyone can see how easy it will be :)

No need to tell me about it, I gave up on that map 150 turns in, even though I would have obviously won since it's Brazil

Sorry guys, I forgot to upload the initial save. Here it is for all of you who'd like to try it out.

Attachments

• AutoSave_Initial_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    514.9 KB · Views: 31
LOL, I forgot that I even tried that map. I never did get back around to give it another attempt or two.

That map was my slowest CV deity victory ever. I would've bailed for something else long ago if it wasn't the required VC.

The math (on Honor culture farming) is pretty brutal. For recovering the culture cost for the next policy, the number of barbs you would have to kill is crazy.

Let's not forget the peripheral benefits: camp gold; security from horsemen sniping workers and galleys eating cargo ships; if you're Aztec or Songhai or Germany you're going to be barb hunting anyway; anticipation of CS quests; access to GG & XP farming side of Honor tree, which facilitate brutal conquests and luxury acquisition - whilst clearing the map of marginal AI cities and creating more barbarian hunting grounds :)

I played a highland games (the map with lots of mountains) and was completely surrounded by mountains. Met my first AI in the modern age. Won by spaceship but one of the AIs had conquored half the world (but couldn't get to me due to impenetrable mountain wall). Funny enough my religion had spread to 1/3 of the world long before I even met those civs.

Big chunks of the world were uninhabited because of the mountains.

I think this was Emperor. Had brutal problems with money and luxes. Not even a city state in my valley.

Top Bottom