[GNK+BNW] Difficulty choice

legoclone09

Chieftain
So, I am going to start a new game (probably not exciting for you but for me it is), and I have just won a game on Warlord doing very well, should I do Prince or stick to Warlord for a while?

Straight to King tbqh

Emperor, even.

Nah JK you should probably go for King first and see how it works out. I actually did a weird King -> Immortal -> Emperor -> Deity climb myself. My first few games were multiplayer games that were on King difficulty, but my friend knew what he was doing and I picked it up quickly from there. I never did play prince much, although funny enough I beat the game on Deity before I ever beat it on King (I never finished any of my original King games, but the first time I played Emperor before I got the hang of King I turned into a failed state whose only achievement was destroying Poland before the world chain denounced and DoW'd me. For some reason, I never played on Emperor again until I beat the game on Immortal e.e).

I started on Emperor, kind of struggled, won a few on King, then got a really good wonder mongering OCC game as Egypt on Emperor, and then played Immortal a lot. Didn't dare to try Deity for a while lol

I worked my way up the ladder. Part of that was probably laziness--I enjoyed steamrolling the AI.

After I went to King, I played a game or two then went up to Emperor.

I still mainly play emperor just because I like to play and I don't do achievements or try to break records. I dabble with Immortal.

I started on prince, didn't see any reasons to play below that. Then climbed to Emperor as I didn't see any difference on King. After that, I went directly to deity, when I heard that I might as well learn deity strats to avoid bad habits. I only went for immortal when I want to take a break from deity for relaxed games.

Play prince, then king, etc.
Stay at a given difficulty if you lose a game, until you can win a game regularly.

If you play for fun, Emperor or Immortal is a good difficulty to plateau at. There's less fun and role-playing, etc, at Deity except for the fun of playing against AI with huge advantages.

milestones:

1.) understand all the game mechanics: advance token to king level
2.) know the player tricks found on the forum advance token to emperor level
3.) have experience using tricks found on the forum enough to adapt different strategies to what's happening in the game advance token to immortal level
4.) develop unhealthy masochism advance token to deity

I might try to go for King, but I don't feel comfortable on Prince yet, so I'll see how this game goes and try cranking it up to King on my next game.

I never played below Prince. I start on Prince and never finished it because the combat is surely imbalance.

Go with King. It's not fun to slaughter their warriors with your archers on Prince. King has a good balance (you excel on combat, they "cheat" on tech and progress).

I worked my way up the ladder.

Same. Prior to Civ 5, I was still playing HOMM III on occasion. Seeing how popular Civ 5 was, I knew I'd be playing it for a long time to come. So I was in no rush to see it all. I've only just stepped up to Immortal after playing for about 8 months. Was probably ready sooner, but wanted to learn different things.

^^I've played longer, but I'm finally on immortal. It took me so long because I only play for a couple of hours a night after work. So one single game can take me a whole week to finish. Plus Civ V was very new to me. I had never played any game similar to it, ever.

As you can imagine I spent a lot of time reading these forums as well as the Y2K forums. And I'm still learning.

Top Bottom