6.1.7601 will not run

OhioState95

Chieftain
I'm trying to play Civ 5. Steam performed an update when I launched, which seems to be to make it compatible with Windows 8. However, it seems to have broken the game. I get a window saying "Sid Meier's Civilization V has stopped working. a problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

I've tried relaunching several times, and rebooting. All to no avail. Anyone else having this problem and/or know a way to fix it?

Have you tried to verify the integrity of the game files?
Might be that something went wrong during the update.

I didn't know about this feature, so thank you for mentioning it. I did it, and it found two bad files that it said it would replace. when I relaunched it downloaded what I presume were the replacements for those bad files, but then I still get the same error message.

I have a toddler son and my limited gaming time is precious. This sucks! :confused:

mmhh...when did you try to play the last time? Was it with the previous patch?
Because if not, then a special version of the intro movie could cause the problems. In the Civ5 folders (within the Steam folders), there should be some .wmv files, which you should try to delete.

And in case your machine has an Intel graphics card, then you should update it's drivers.

EDIT: Just in case, please provide your DxDiag file (my what?!?).

mmhh...when did you try to play the last time? Was it with the previous patch?
Because if not, then a special version of the intro movie could cause the problems. In the Civ5 folders (within the Steam folders), there should be some .wmv files, which you should try to delete.

And in case your machine has an Intel graphics card, then you should update it's drivers.

EDIT: Just in case, please provide your DxDiag file (my what?!?).

Thank you very much for helping. Before you replied I became impatient and uninstalled all local files and inititiated a re-install. No Civ tonight, but hopefully it will be sorted by the next time I have a chance to play. Cheers.

Top Bottom