Building Wonder Prerequisites

Segwin

Chieftain
Is there a place where I can find the prerequisites for building wonders like the GL, GW etc?

Thanks.

In-game? At the Civilopedia, you can find it on HELP during a game or on Other -> Civilopedia on the main menu.

Outside of the game? There was, on this site, a section called World Wonders, but it is not correct anymore due to the X-pac. So, I don't know. You should check the civilopedia, though

You just have to have the technologies researched. Machu Picchu and Neuschwanstein need a mountain one or two tiles from the city. Wonders like the Great Light House and the Colossus and Sydney Opera House need to be built in a city at the sea. Petra needs a desert tile adjacent to the city or the city is on a desert.

If you want to build the Great Library: research (pottery) and then writing.
If you want to build the Great Wall research masonry or construction (I am not totally sure at the moment.

The Temple of Artemis, the Statue of Zeus, the Temple of Halicarnassos can only be built if you have the wonders to the ancient world dlc.

GW is at Engineering, Masonry unlocks Pyramids and Mausoleum of Haicarnassus; Construction unlocks Terracota Army

Found the info in the Civilopedia (just had to mouse over all the info). Lots of information to digest but its all good.

Because I'm just starting out its fun to spend a few turns to see which road the game heads down and then start fresh and try a different path. While playing a few games out it seems I was always being beat to great wonders so I thought, during the start of one game, I'd get the jump on the GL. I built the GL but everything else suffered. I was being roped in by other expanding civs.

I'm not so sure going after wonders at the expense of growth both military and land acquisition is worth it.

If you want to get wonders and develop your empire, pick some civs that get Production bonus, choose Egypt, get lucky and find marble around your capital, pick Aristocracy from the Tradition tree or the Monument to the Gods pantheon.

The best situation would happen with Egypt (but civs like Russia, Carthage, Iroquois; that get some insta production bonus, are good aswell): they get 20% production for wonders as their UA; if they go through tradition, +15%; if they get the Monument to the Gods pantheon, +15% and if they get marble, +15%. In the end, they would end with +65% bonus production to wonders, getting them faster than normal, thus giving you more time to develop other areas later. You could also chop forests to cut some time.

It is important, though, to feel the game and understand when you should and should not go for wonders: if you find yourself on the middle of the Jungle, you would prefer to develop your empire first, as the production wouldn't be enough and you would end with a GL taking 37 turns to be built. During that time, you could develop your production with water mills, workshops and mines instead, which is way nicer than spending a lot of time trying to build a wonder and see another civ get it one turn before you. Also keep in mind that you can always conquer other wonderful cities.

Try not to rely your strategies on wonders, because they won't work every time. In some games it might be a great idea to build the Great Library, but in others, it would be better to develop your empire instead of trying to compete with A-Wonder-Every-6-Turns-Russia

Top Bottom