In a game there I experienced something never in 1000 hours of Civ IV gameplay

Leathaface

Emperor
Montezuma declared war on me, and it was my first war on Civ V. I saw all his jaguars near my city and I thought "Oh crap". But after firing my city arrow and using my war chariot and archer I took out a unit of his, his jaguar.

I then war able to take out another and I realised I was holding him off. Now 5 other Civs had declared war on him too, so his troops withdrew after I killed 5 of his jaguars. (I bought another war chariot and held him off completely.) Now this is the brand-new part, I then went on the counter-attack and was able to capture a city-state he made a puppet. (which is inbetween my capital and his capital.)

I annexed the state, then I went after Teochitlian (sp), his capital. I was able to damage the city with 2 war chariots, 2 crossbowmen and a spearman. But since I didn't have trebuchets I wasn't able to capture it.

But I never had this happen to me in Civ IV, me personally anyway in over 1000 hours of gameplay. Normally I would hold off his attack and then he would stop attacking and i'd get some gold, but not this time! It was something else.

Montezuma declared war on me, and it was my first war on Civ V. I saw all his jaguars near my city and I thought "Oh crap". But after firing my city arrow and using my war chariot and archer I took out a unit of his, his jaguar.

I then war able to take out another and I realised I was holding him off. Now 5 other Civs had declared war on him too, so his troops withdrew after I killed 5 of his jaguars. (I bought another war chariot and held him off completely.) Now this is the brand-new part, I then went on the counter-attack and was able to capture a city-state he made a puppet. (which is inbetween my capital and his capital.)

I annexed the state, then I went after Teochitlian (sp), his capital. I was able to damage the city with 2 war chariots, 2 crossbowmen and a spearman. But since I didn't have trebuchets I wasn't able to capture it.

But I never had this happen to me in Civ IV, me personally anyway in over 1000 hours of gameplay. Normally I would hold off his attack and then he would stop attacking and i'd get some gold, but not this time! It was something else.

Welcome to the game!

Civ V has a great military engine because of the attack/counter-attack nature of war. I really enjoy it much more than war in any other Civ game since CTP2.

"Then I war able to take out..."

Pun intended? I laughed :D :D :D

BTW, welcome to Civ V!

I never played Civ IV, but I still find the AI in Civ V very peaceful. Not most players, though, there have been lots of complaints here on the forums about the AI attacking so much - I guess a lot of players just want to be peacefully building stuff, and find it annoying when the AI declares on them. They go "What? The AI declaring on me?! Hey, it's okay for me to declare on them, but they shouldn't be declaring on me, that's wrong. Devs, please fix this! And another thing; some civs are calling me a warmonger when I've declared a few times. I mean, me, a warmonger? For declaring war? What's that about? Devs, sort this out, because this is stupid!"
So the developers have toned down the warmongering of the AI with Gods & Kings, on a scale of 10 almost all civs have gone down a point, Pachacuti even 2. But Montezuma and Napoleon have been left alone, they're both still on a high 8 for warmonger-willingness. So look out for those guys!

i always have multiple civs dow me. they're also pretty easy to hold off generally, once you get accustomed to ai tactics. i miss wars in civ iv actually, civ v has made me too lazy though to ever go back to corruption/pollution/local unhappiness/goldscienceluxury slider, etc. anyone else feel that wars in civ iv were more memorable, epic, satisfying?

This happens in Civ IV too though. It seems the only difference is this time you chose to counter attack, whereas in Civ IV you didn't bother and just settled for a peace treaty. Or am I missing something?

Top Bottom