No Assembly Required: Ikea To Sell Solar Panels In U.K.

Murky

Deity
Good news for U.K. folks. You will soon be able to buy DIY solar panels at Ikea.

Spoiler :

Ikea to sell solar panels in UK stores

Solar panel packages will be offered at all 17 British Ikea stores within next 10 months

Britain's solar market is small compared with green energy leaders such as Germany and Spain, but has posted regular growth. Photograph: Vicki Couchman

Ikea is to sell solar panels at its British stores for the first time in an attempt to tap growth in the heavily subsidised green energy market.

The world's biggest furniture retailer, best known for cheap basics such as its Billy bookcases and Ektorp sofas, plans to offer solar panel packages at all of its 17 British stores within the next 10 months.

Ikea said the move follows a successful pilot project at its Lakeside store to the east of London, which sells one photovoltaic (PV) system almost every day.

Britain offers subsidies to encourage the takeup of PV panels, which harness the power of sunlight and transform it into electricity, in an attempt to boost greener energy production and help it meet legally binding targets to cut carbon emissions.

A solar panel owner receives subsidies for generating solar-sourced electricity as well as exporting excess power into the grid. An average semi-detached house with a south-facing roof would earn as much as £770 a year through subsidies and savings on energy bills, an Ikea case study showed.

Ikea's offer of panels made by China's Hanergy Holding Group Ltd, a power producer and manufacturer of thin-film PV panels, involves a minimum spend of £5,700, for which customers get 18 panels, which should break even within roughly seven years.

"We know that our customers want to live more sustainably and we hope working with Hanergy to make solar panels affordable and easily available helps them do just that," said Joanna Yarrow, Ikea's head of sustainability in the UK and Ireland.

Britain's solar market is small compared with green energy leaders such as Germany and Spain, but it has posted regular growth, with year-on-year installations rising 25% in September to 1.7 gigawatts.

Ikea customers will receive a package that includes in-store consultation, installation and maintenance of the panels.

The Swedish company has its own ambitious clean energy target, aiming to source at least 70% of its energy needs from wind and solar by 2015 and 100% by 2020.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/sep/30/ikea-sell-solar-panels-uk-stores

Other link
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...bly-required-ikea-to-sell-solar-panels-in-u-k

I wonder what the RoI is? I mean it says it saves "up to" £770 per year, and it costs a "minimum" of £5700, which is a 13.5% return max. I guess the avg will be about half that, so around 7%, which is a pretty decent return, especially for a "green" investment.

Here in Canada you can claim such things during tax time - making those numbers slightly more appealing. The same thing would happen if I installed a tankless water heating system for example.

Does Britain have a similar system in place? It encourages people to invest in these technologies.

The article says that the £770 savings include subsidies, which I assume includes any available tax incentives as it was calculated by Ikea themselves.

You know, with that kind of savings, you could probably afford the worse fuel economy of a range rover! Ride in style on green subsidies!

Range Rovers are overrated as are most gas guzzlers. You're constantly paying out the ying-yang for fuel and maintence. Electric cars are mostly maintenance free. You have to change out the tires once in a while, but there are no oil changes. Maybe have to lubricate the suspension occasionally.

Link to video.

Oil changes are miniscule parts of the overall operating expenses.

... Which reminds me, I really need to get new tires :sad:

Range Rovers are overrated as are most gas guzzlers. You're constantly paying out the ying-yang for fuel and maintence. Electric cars are mostly maintenance free. You have to change out the tires once in a while, but there are no oil changes. Maybe have to lubricate the suspension occasionally.

Link to video.

Just have to change those batteries every three years(?) and you're ready to go.

Oh, and let's not forget the purchase price premium.

They could be economical, and environmentally friendly, but they're not yet. Not by a long way.

But actually I can't wait for them to be the norm.

Just have to change those batteries every three years(?) and you're ready to go.

Oh, and let's not forget the purchase price premium.

They could be economical, and environmentally friendly, but they're not yet. Not by a long way.

But actually I can't wait for them to be the norm.

Tesla covers the battery for 8 years or 125,000 miles. You might loose some charge capacity to degrading battery life but it'll still work well enough to get around well after 5 years. It depends on how you use it and what the environmental conditions are like though.

Base price of the Tesla S is $62,000. And with optional extras and more power this goes up to $100,000.

So, as things are always much more expensive in the UK, £80,000?

It's certainly not cheap.

Base price: $58k.

Top Bottom