Has anyone seen a game changing random event?

I got the event where you needed to build 8 Swordsmen. Because I didn't have a lot of money and also hadn't reached Hereditary Rule, I had only one option afterwards, the one to give all Swords CR1.

The interesting thing was that at that time I was having some fun and was trying out how it would be to have Boudica leading Rome. So building eight Praetorian real early in the game was no problem at all. Afterwards I had a never ending army of Praets with minimally three promotion. It goes without saying that Sitting Bull of the Byzantine Empire and Saladin of America were quickly destroyed and I now have a lot of Praets with ST1 and CR3 or better...
I didn't end the game though, because it isn't fun anymore. :(

So far, no one event has been "game changing," but I had a string of 'em last night that changed my game ... changed it to the "OFF" position.

After discovering "Tin" in one of my Capital's hills, I'm thinking "hell yeah this is great" ... Until within a string of maybe 10 turns:

... a fire destroyed my Capital's Forge (not enough :gold: to buy it back) -- halting my Colossus production

... rats ate all the food in my Capital's Granary

... disease struck my Capital's Granary and killed off a population point

... a flood destroyed the Capital's Granary

... a Volcano erupted in my production city and destroyed the Copper mine and the 2 Plains Hills mines next to it

So yeah. Not that I couldn't've bounced back from a couple blows like that, but I couldn't help thinking "WTF!?!?!?" and quit ... it was late anyhow.

Oh yeah ... during all that time I was trying to rebuild the Forge, HC built The Colossus on the other side of my Continent.

So far, no one event has been "game changing," but I had a string of 'em last night that changed my game ... changed it to the "OFF" position.

After discovering "Tin" in one of my Capital's hills, I'm thinking "hell yeah this is great" ... Until within a string of maybe 10 turns:

... a fire destroyed my Capital's Forge (not enough :gold: to buy it back) -- halting my Colossus production

That one is sort of your fault. As mentioned from multiple sources, having a stockpile of gold is key with random events on...

I had just been subjected to a suprise landing by Mansu Masa (yes, he actually went crazy for once) and saw the horrible sight of around 8 knights against my two longbows and one pikeman. Random event gave me an extra couple of the Pikes suddenly that same turn through, and his knights were toasted.

I can't remember what exactly came up, but I beeline for archery in this game for some odd reason.. once I got it I set Edinburgh with building my first archer. 4 turns left before it would be ready, the computer pops up saying Scottish Empire has some bad ass archers yada yada.

Anyway first guy pops up, in Edinburgh without any barracks. Turns out I first strike for almost every unit built, but a free promotion as well. So with barracks I had City Garrison II with first strike. Later in the game infantry were coming out with City Garrison III with various civics and wonders.

Needless to say I didn't lose a single city, and got some good Generals on the go. (Hardly ever use them as units, but had to this game!) ;)

I left Montgomery and Martel alone as infantry in a city being attacked with 10 riflemen and cannon. Still got them! :lol:

Excuse the ill health in the capitol, certain aspects were under 'strain'.

I wouldn't say game changing in the way that Gal Civ 2's can be, but 2 or 3 random events sometimes coalesce. Like when attacking a civ that was anti the
AP coalition, I got an event that brought me closer to another civ I was courting to be a vassal by the late game, when that event helped trigger them begging to be my vassal. And another event helped to make the civ I was attacking on the out with AP coalition. Sometimes a bunch of small things add up to be meaningful.

I was on a huge archipelago map with an incredible 3 islands, lots of resources and good production. Was cruising right along, had built about 4 wonders and was ruling on monarch, totally peacefully as I had fogbusted my entire area and had no opponents that could get to me.

Then I had a random event: the Huns invade. Boom! A stack of 6-8 or so horse archers appear in the ONE square in my main island that wasn't covered by my cultulral borders. I had only a single warrior in every city, hadn't even researched hunting or archery.

Down goes 1 city, then another, then another within 12 turns. Game over. I quit in disgust.

So, um, yes, I've had a game-changer. Granted, it was my own (undeserved) feeling of security that led to it, but I might have let a few choice words slip out...

My best was i got free Pinch For muskets as soon as i researched them, then like 20 turns later i got the quest to make 12 muskets, as i had pinch already i took a free Golden Age :)

I just had this event happening to me, cost a bit, but was very much worth it :)
Spoiler :

I had missionaries unexpectedly convert several of my cities and several AI cities early in the game. Built Stonehenge, used the Great Prophet to found Christianity, and then the missionaries provided a good start on what was a long range diplomatic and financial pay off. The conversions were probably game-winning since I won a Cultural Victory. (I play on Prince and almost never win.)

Cool new uranium :)

Would be amazing if you didnt have any uranium at that point, i got same quest but it only gave me a deer camp.

I'd say I've had two significant game changing events.

The first was kinda self induced for fun. There was an inter-religion marraige between prominent business people in my country and another who was cautious with me. I had the options of sending a paltry gift for -1. To send well wishes and a decent gift to the other family for -2 relations. Or an option to be obnoxious and make fun of the other civ which would trigger holy war. Yeah, I triggered the holy war. Quite amusing.

The other was in my current game, where my capital and main production city was continually stunted at 15 pop because of slave revolts. I must have had 8 of these with a minimum cost of 1 pop.

I was playing as Germany, and me and Joao were racing for the spaceship. I got the greed quest, to consolidate my corporations power by securing the only source of silver in the world, which happened to be in his territory. sothat made up my mind and nuclear war insued. We nuked each other about 30 times total in about 3 turns, and he pummeled me with at least over 100 guided missiles. Maybe not game changing, but game ending. Global warming was rampant and I quit...

I've never seen it myself, but someone was saying there is a quest to build enough Musketman that when fulfilled, can give all Gunpowder units Pinch.

That happened to me once but the irony was I only had one musketman at the time.... And it wasn't retroactive.

I had one that reduced inflation by 50%. It came in very handy.

Last night I got a corporate war quest - I need to seize control by any mean necessary of 1 of each ressource that can be used by my corporation. I haven't done it yet, the one ressource I miss is right in the middle of my biggest rival's territory and I'm not quite sure the reward will be worth the fuss.

1. library quest. I was going to try to tech and build like crazy, and as usual, I got the Great Library right after receiving this quest. Don't bother if you don't want to, because all that gives you is the option for a 3rd sci from the library. At the speed that I teched, I lost that sci pretty quickly (EDIT: or maybe I just miscounted? someone below says his stayed on.. one of us miscounted); I should have taken the "all libraries get +2 beakers" option instead. Assuming that it's permanent. At least that sci helped pop out 2 Great Scientists; I made 2 academies. It's actually more effective to do that if you have 2 mass-cottaged cities, than to Academy + meld. No need to bulb as I had a big tech lead after a while.

You misread the quest. I have done it and I didn't have the Great Library. You get +2 science to ONE library, the one in your city that has the highest science production. That's right, a total bonus of +2 base science to ONE city from the quest. That's so bad I just posted about it in the Bug section.

It was actually really awful for me in the game I was in. I had a pretty bad start, so I had to rush out 6 or 7 cities and build libraries in all of them to meet the requirement (it was a huge map). I could only put them on a nearby mini-continent (which barely fit them all). The last two cities really made the colony maintenance sky-rocket (to a total of 50 gold per turn from all the cities). So my science plummeted and I just got +2 science from all that work.

-Drachasor

I got an event where I discovered oil at the beginning of the game.. :)

I've had the same... it was BC, and a Scout on top of an oil resource discovered the substance and it revealed all Oil on the planet for the entire game. It it turned out to be the only source of oil on my continent of 4 civs...

I've had the same... it was BC, and a Scout on top of an oil resource discovered the substance and it revealed all Oil on the planet for the entire game. It it turned out to be the only source of oil on my continent of 4 civs...

This might explain a post I read where the AI squatted on an oil resource starting very very early in the game.

Free Cover for melee units when still in the Axemens' prime can be game changing, as can free Shock for them around the same time when playing someone like the Romans.

I got the free cover event within the first few turns of my current game. It could have been game changing except that it took me a while to hook up copper or iron; I had to rely on an Immortal rush instead.

Top Bottom