Bug Reporting

When I tested it myself last night I had not move a single unit and have wait at end of turn enabled always. I cannot verify that none of the AIs had met, of course.

I seem to recall that when I first read about the regenerate command on the boards here I tried to find it and couldn't. Then, after some time, I went into the main menu to set my name on the first turn (I usually forget until my first save) and saw the command. Perhaps it's the two AI meeting thing that's happening in the background frequently? This was looooong before BUG that it happened.

I know the limits of regeneration. I tried several times, simply looking at the main menu as the first thing to do.

I'll try without customassets then with bug only, then with the rest of my modifications, to see what happens.

Removed customassets -> started BTS -> Regenerate button existed.
Installed BUG_100 -> started BTS -> Regenerate button didn't exist.

Note that it was there in BUG_016, so something has happened in the meantime.

Truly bizarre. You're using BUG only -- not FBUG, right? At least not much has changed since 0.16.

@Alerum - Remind me to have a discussion with you about tagging reelases. I should have thought of it before but, well, I didn't. There's a way in SVN to tag all the files' versions when you do a release with a made-up tag. In this case, that would allow me to sync to that tag and see what the repo looked like at 0.16.

I can still do that by downloading the ZIP for 0.16, but it's harder to figure out exactly what changed between then and now. When we do the post-3.13 release, we'll tag it as 1.00 and I can walk through it with you.

And thank you Elandal for trying it with the different installs to pin down when the bug was introduced. That helps a ton!

Yes, BUG not FBUG. Solver's patch that I didn't remove for this test (it's in main game install directory / assets) and my own XML changes (which I removed for this test).

I know how nice it's to get more detailed bug reports - been there myself :)

I just fired up a test game with an 'in between' build and no regen option is there. I entered WB and put a scout near every civ so that I had contact with them. None of them had contact with each other. So we haven't triggered the 'contact between civs' issue with regen ... its something else.

@EF - Yes, that's a good idea. I knew it had that tag feature, just hadn't figured out how to use it yet.

I wonder if there is a conflict with Solver's patch and BUG? I haven't opened up CIV in a while, so don't know if I'd get the conflict without it running the out of the box version.

I've used solver's patch since he made one available. So I've used the latest patch with BUG 0.16 before and 1.0 now.

For now, I haven't seen any other problems. I think.

We need a game plan to track this puppy down. How many back issues of BUG do we have? Need to find a version that doesn't have the bug and diff it against the next version that does. I wouldn't be surprised if it was something to do with the logger.

I've downloaded 0.16 so that when I get a chance I can verify that it works there. Then yes, it's a matter of looking at each change since then.

I also implemented saving/loading of reminders since 0.16, requiring an event for StartGame.

@Alerum - Do you know exactly the date/time that you sync'd to create the release? That would allow us to pretty much figure out which version each file was at.

I don't know if it's been covered or not, but I'll post up anyway...

The 3D LH's do not fit into their preview window in the LeaderPedia.py screen. It looks like they need to be scaled down in order to fit properly.

Yeah, I don't remember Ruff's mod having the leaderhead issues. I'll double-check his version to see if maybe he had a fix in there that didn't make it into the BtS ported versions.

New orange blob sighting. Chinese worker

I am using the most recent from svn. Updated tonight arround 7pm

Would a separate thread for orange blobs (misisng units in FBug) be helpful for you?

Codetoad

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG
    232.4 KB · Views: 178
Truly bizarre. You're using BUG only -- not FBUG, right? At least not much has changed since 0.16.

@Alerum - Remind me to have a discussion with you about tagging reelases. I should have thought of it before but, well, I didn't. There's a way in SVN to tag all the files' versions when you do a release with a made-up tag. In this case, that would allow me to sync to that tag and see what the repo looked like at 0.16.

I can still do that by downloading the ZIP for 0.16, but it's harder to figure out exactly what changed between then and now. When we do the post-3.13 release, we'll tag it as 1.00 and I can walk through it with you.

And thank you Elandal for trying it with the different installs to pin down when the bug was introduced. That helps a ton!

EF, I did some search here. The problem occurs somewhere between the revision 286 and 300. The only file changed in bug between these releases was the CDA one. It'll take you less than 15 iterations to find the change that screwed the Regenerate. What did I do:

Start a new game (anyone).
hit ESC to see if regenerate appears.
Exit to Main Menu
Change the python files (I was updating to revision # and then exporting to customassets)
Repeat.

I wish I could tell you exactly which version has the problem, but my time is up now. If you wish, I can do a deeper search sometime tomorrow. Sorry for not being more helpful.

EF, I did some search here. The problem occurs somewhere between the revision 286 and 300. The only file changed in bug between these releases was the CDA one. It'll take you less than 15 iterations to find the change that screwed the Regenerate.
I didn't know you could d/l a particular revision. It sounds like a binary search is in order ... d/l revision (286+300)/2 ... 293 and test it. If it is ok, then repeat between 293 and 300. We should have the particular revision nailed in 3 or 4 d/ls. I'll see if I can find the 'bad' revision.

rev 293 ... regen present
rev 296 ... regen present
rev 298 ... regen present
rev 300 ... regen present (!!! what?)
rev 376 ... regen not present (the latest version)
rev 338 ... regen present
rev 357 ... regen not present
rev 348 ... regen not present
rev 343 ... regen present
rev 346 ... regen present
rev 347 ... regen present (actually, no change between 343 and 347)

So, the difference is between 343 and 348

... and the difference is ... EVENT REMINDER ... and the introduction of the sdtoolkit and the associated code. I will bet a very small amount that the following is the problem ...

PHP:
	def onGameStart(self, argsList):
		'Called when a new game is started'
		self.reminderManager.clearReminders()
		SdToolKit.sdModInit(SD_MOD_ID)    <--- this line here is new between 343 and 348
#		return 1

Hi guys,

first of all let me say this mod seems so awesome! But I had little luck with it so far. I downloaded it, 0.16, 1.0b (from SF.net), SVN editon - all the same. I put the contents of the archives into the My Games\Beyond the Sword directory, start the game, create a new game (or load a new one, doesn't matter) and - well, here is a screenshot:
Spoiler :

As you can see, no icons at all - by icons I mean images representing such stuff as commerce, health, religions, etc. Also, I press Alt+Ctrl+O, the dialog apears, but when I try to close it, nothing happens! I have to use the Task Manager to kill BTS. I tried reinstalling BTS, reinstalling everything (BTS, WARLORDS, CivIV), but it wouldn't help. Also I noticed that after I open the options dialog (Alt+Ctrl+O), the BUG Mod.ini is wiped out, its just a 0kb file. I also tried merging BUG Mod with the base installation, with a bit more luck. (By megring I mean instead of copying it to My Games\Beyond the Sword, I rename Custom Assets to Assets, and insert it to the game dir.) The icons are okay that way, and I can even close the options box - once. Next time same stuff, ini wiped out, etc. If I put back the ini It again works for a single occassion. It should also be noted that I had 2 or 3 crashes with the merged game. Sometimes it crashed when starting a new game too, wiping out the ini. If I remove Custom Assets completely everything works like a charm again. I also tried FBUG, same story.

I am using WinXP SP2 hungarian, CivBTS 3.03, Ati X800XT vga.

Thanks, JB

Ok, I was wrong. It is bigger than just that one line. Thinking about it, the new code changes the game (adds reminder items to be saved in the game) and thus runs fowl of the 'game has changed, no regen possible' flag that is obviously in the dll somewhere. I would suggest setting a flag to save the reminders only if a reminder is actually set (ie queue is not null). That would skip the save when the game is created.

Over to you EF!

jbworld,

gotta ask the silly questions first:

Are you adding any other MODs with the BUG mod that maybe sharing the same files?

When you see the 0kb file size for the INI... does it show as 0kb before you go into the Options screen?

Do you have locked modified assets checked?

When you put it into the root BTS folder, did you make sure to backup your original assets and restore them?

Top Bottom