City State Diplomacy Mod (Updated)

Zyxpsilon,
1) I appreciate the offer, however until I can make the units more useful, I probably won't use the merchant idea for a little while.

2) What do you mean by this? I have been away from the forums for a few weeks.
G

1) Alright, on hold until you're ready and if i can detect further progress.

2) Click on the LeoPaRd link below (take a well deserved break & a few minutes to consult) and chime in... cuz, if no Total_Balancing_Mods authors acknowledge they GIVE me formal permission to integrate their work into such an asset, i certainly won't if only to make it fair to everyone.

On v10, I noticed a human-player exploit. With the diplomacy units, I can embark into CS waters and then use the diplomacy action. The AI, however, does not do this. They will try to get onto land. I was able to blockade the land for one CS. America's four diplomacy units were embarked and sailing around the waters wanting to make landfall when they could have simply executed the diplomacy action while in the CS waters.

On v10, I noticed a human-player exploit. With the diplomacy units, I can embark into CS waters and then use the diplomacy action. The AI, however, does not do this. They will try to get onto land. I was able to blockade the land for one CS. America's four diplomacy units were embarked and sailing around the waters wanting to make landfall when they could have simply executed the diplomacy action while in the CS waters.

I've noticed this as well...I'm not really sure how to correct it, as the diplo AI is determined by the Merchant AI, which I can't touch. The fact that the button is available doesn't doesn't seem to matter to the AI, as it can perform other actions (such as gold gifting) without access to the buttons.

Thanks for the heads-up – for now, the only solution is simply not to abuse it. Not much of a solution, huh? (If it was me, I would abuse it anyways! The AI can be a real bastard with CSs, so might as well give them a taste of their own medicine!)

Click on the LeoPaRd link below (take a well deserved break & a few minutes to consult) and chime in... cuz, if no Total_Balancing_Mods authors acknowledge they GIVE me formal permission to integrate their work into such an asset, i certainly won't if only to make it fair to everyone.

I'm fine with integration...though, to be honest, I have NO earthly idea what you are trying to do with your Leopard mod-thing. You lost me at "Fairly simple equilateral balance of idioms." Custom achievements for mods? Typing monkeys? I'm confused.

I'm a history professor, dammit, not a geometrician! :)

I'm fine with integration...though, to be honest, I have NO earthly idea what you are trying to do with your Leopard mod-thing. You lost me at "Fairly simple equilateral balance of idioms." Custom achievements for mods? Typing monkeys? I'm confused.

I'm a history professor, dammit, not a geometrician! :)

Pseudo_Steam Offline achievements kept locally within the user's Game interface. Completely re-defined and re-designed to be *extremely* more challenging than their stuff.
HOF on steroids. More on all of this later.

a) "Idiom": metaphor given sense by consolidating multiple components in paraphrasing words and terminology - the nerd version.

b) "Idiom": inseparable elements, Part is greater than the Sum - my casual attempt to make it clearer.

c) "Monkeys": programmers' lingo, slang for Qwerty addicts & sometimes, compiler gimmicks as in *You actually don't know what you're doing, right? -- Talking back to the TeraBytes_PC for 30/45+ Minutes (depending on the spaghetti) while we wait for the magic executable possibly Bugged as hell!*.

We code. But we also love History.

See ya, in the thread.

Hey Gazebo, there has been some discussion of integrating your mod in with thals balance mod and also some ideas for making it better by adding changes to the diplomatic victory. If you get a chance the thread is http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=385924&page=6

Its like the last 2 pages or so i think, maybe just the last page. If you would be interested in helping / have any good ideas we would love your input

Hello Gazebo!

I may have discovered a bug with your mod in the new patch. When I take the meritocracy policy (the one that gives you a free great person) the "choose great person" notification shows up but when I click it, nothing happens. This breaks the game as you cannot move on without choosing a great person...

I am also running RED, Tech Diffusion, Infoaddict, and a mod that affects the game speed. Obviously, the error could be coming from one of those mods, but your mod seemed like the most likely candidate...

Just thought I would let you know.

Thanks for the great mod! :)

Crap, that reminds me. I made a working version but keep forgetting to post it.

Hello Gazebo!

I may have discovered a bug with your mod in the new patch. When I take the meritocracy policy (the one that gives you a free great person) the "choose great person" notification shows up but when I click it, nothing happens. This breaks the game as you cannot move on without choosing a great person...

I am also running RED, Tech Diffusion, Infoaddict, and a mod that affects the game speed. Obviously, the error could be coming from one of those mods, but your mod seemed like the most likely candidate...

I don't think it's this mod. I haven't had any issue with choosing my GP from Meritocracy.

I haven't gotten to that point with this mod installed, but I did have that trouble with HitM.

I think tech diffusion hasn't worked in quite some time.

Its been working for me as far as I can tell... someone updated it back in Feb and posted it as an attachment in the thread...

Ceedub said:
I don't think it's this mod. I haven't had any issue with choosing my GP from Meritocracy.

Glad to know that! Of the mods I was running, this is the only one I couldn't bear to part with :p... I shall focus my troubleshooting on my other mods first...

Its been working for me as far as I can tell... someone updated it back in Feb and posted it as an attachment in the thread...

Glad to know that! Of the mods I was running, this is the only one I couldn't bear to part with :p... I shall focus my troubleshooting on my other mods first...

I haven't seen this problem with CSD– the mod in no way impacts that trait or great people in general, so I can't imagine it being the root cause. Always a possibility, however.

Thanks for the quick replies, everyone.
Edit: I'm also glad that you like CSD! :D
G

Hello Gazebo!

Exact same problem here. I've narrowed the problem down to either this mod or Thal's combat - those are the only two required to be active to load my save game. I thought CSD was the most likely culprit too since it changes a policy, but it's odd that it doesn't happen for everybody.
Do you Thal's combat or any other combat mods active, Fogg?

Add: I hafta agree; CSD is the only overhaul type mod I run and I have no desire to play Civ without it!

I haven't seen this problem with CSD– the mod in no way impacts that trait or great people in general, so I can't imagine it being the root cause. Always a possibility, however.

Thanks for the quick replies, everyone.
Edit: I'm also glad that you like CSD! :D
G

Turns out your mod is clean! tracked down my problem to tech diffusion. Unfortunately, my modding experience is limited to making slight tweaks, so I'm not quite sure how to fix this problem yet...

*Edit* Actually, turns out it was pretty easy! Was just missing one line of code :)

solid tuna said:
Exact same problem here. I've narrowed the problem down to either this mod or Thal's combat - those are the only two required to be active to load my save game. I thought CSD was the most likely culprit too since it changes a policy, but it's odd that it doesn't happen for everybody.
Do you Thal's combat or any other combat mods active, Fogg?

Add: I hafta agree; CSD is the only overhaul type mod I run and I have no desire to play Civ without it!

Only other mods I was running were infoaddict, tech diffusion, RED and a mod changing the game speeds (not sure what to call it because I ripped it out of the original ccmat mod).

As stated above, it was tech diffusion that was causing my problem.

So I would guess it's Thal's combat, but if you want to be sure I would say run a game without Thal's mod and take the meritocracy policy (start in a late era and you can test this quickly) :)

One step ahead. I disabled tech diffusion in my game, though, and still couldn't choose the great person.

One step ahead. I disabled tech diffusion in my game, though, and still couldn't choose the great person.

Hmm...did you start a new, post-patch game or is this a pre-patch save? Also, how many mods do you have that aren't enabled? My recommendation is to go to your my documents/my games/Civilization 5 folder, look for a folder called 'caches' (or something like that) and drag all of the database files in that folder to the desktop. Then, restart civ5. You will have to recheck your mods on the mod screen in the menu, but all saves/mods etc. will still be intact. This might fix your problem– it has helped for me in the past when debugging CSD.

The reasoning behind this is that maybe the incompatible mod is still being loaded (even partially) via the database in your Civ5 folder. This is an empirical though highly un-scientific assumption.

If THAT doesn't help, the only reason this might be a problem is because the diplo units are considered 'special' (i.e. a Great Person) by the game, and thus perhaps the extra 5 Great Persons are causing the game to glitch out? There is a string of XML in each unit's XML section (in Units folder in mod):

Code:
<SPECIAL>SPECIALUNIT_PEOPLE</SPECIAL>

This line makes a unit 'great'. Try deleting this line for each unit and see if it fixes the issue. If it does fix the issue, great, however it will break the AI's ability to use the mod, so it is not a permanent fix. It is a pain, however you could delete the line, get the great person and save, and then re-add the line.

I will test this when I finish teaching classes and head home this afternoon.
G

Oh, and while I am at it, has anyone actually figured out how to make custom strategic view icons for units work? CSD's longest-running (and most annoying) bug is that it breaks SV icons for unique units and diplo units. I have spent HOURS on this, to no avail. I assume that I would have heard about this had it been achieved, so I imagine no one knows at this point.

G

I'm currently having no problems with Meritocracy playing this mod along with the Balance mods - definitely clear your cache. If that doesn't work (I had some troubles with policies when the patch was released and this fixed them) try deleting all the contents of the ModUserData folder - this will certainly break your savegame, however.

Btw, Gazebo - I was able to rushbuy the Foreign Office in my last game.;)

I'm currently having no problems with Meritocracy playing this mod along with the Balance mods - definitely clear your cache. If that doesn't work (I had some troubles with policies when the patch was released and this fixed them) try deleting all the contents of the ModUserData folder - this will certainly break your savegame, however.

Btw, Gazebo - I was able to rushbuy the Foreign Office in my last game.;)

I know, I need to fix it...I keep forgetting! I PROMISE I will look at it this weekend at the latest. The FO and the WTO, right?

Also, good news re: Meritocracy. Like I said, its either a cache issue or a <SPECIAL> issue.

I haven't been able to log on to the mods database in Modbuddy (Lone_Gazebo2 seems to be broken by the 'too many mods' bug) so I'll have to make a new username.
G

Top Bottom