Fall update patch status for Mac

Nelson Minar

Chieftain
The first big game balance patch is out. Yay! For Windows only, boo! No big surprise, but it is frustrating the announcements don't even acknowledge there's a Mac release.

Aspyr's blog entry for Dec 3 2014 says they were trying for a same-day Mac release of the patch but "hit a few snags" and the patch may be delayed, with a promise of more info soon. They've been pretty honest and communicative on that blog, I guess that will be where we get an update.

The first big game balance patch is out. Yay! For Windows only, boo! No big surprise, but it is frustrating the announcements don't even acknowledge there's a Mac release.

Aspyr's blog entry for Dec 3 2014 says they were trying for a same-day Mac release of the patch but "hit a few snags" and the patch may be delayed, with a promise of more info soon. They've been pretty honest and communicative on that blog, I guess that will be where we get an update.

Well, to be fair, Firaxis has nothing at all to do with the Mac patch, outside of handing over the code to Aspyr and saying "here you go!"

Aspyr is now finished with the patch on the Mac side, and the build is on its way for approvals. We anticipate Mac users to once again be able to play with their Windows friends within 7-10 days. Please accept our apologies for any frustration this delay could cause.

Special thanks goes out to the teams at 2K and Firaxis for getting us the patch code as early as possible in order to keep this out of sync time period short.

Great news! Thanks for dropping in, AspyrRyan. Keep making awesome ports for us. (That Borderlands: TPS port is so smooth, nice job.)

The Mac patch appears to be out! Steam is d/ling something for Civ BE right now. Going to try it out in a bit.

edit: It is the patch! Turns are a bit shorter for me, but that's all I've noticed, as yet. I'm running it on an unsupported system, so my mileage probably won't get us very far.

As as with the Windows version, even existing saved games use the patch when reloaded.

Still not an update on AppStore... Any news about that?
Will the multi player be added in AppStore version?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Will the multi player be added in AppStore version?

From the description in the App Store, "Currently, Civilization in Beyond Earth for the Mac App Store is currently a single player experience. Multiplayer will come in a future update."

Note that when MP comes, it will probably be of the LAN variety (plus local, i.e. hotsteat). If they were to enable internet multiplayer, it would have to be via Game Center by Apple rules, and you wouldn't be able to play with Steam players.

Still no update?
I would like to know where you check the version number for BE.
If I check the About menu in the App launcher I see Version 1.0.1 (125235)
Yet, if I look at the bottom of the Menu screen in the game it says 1.0.0.574 (125235)
So although the build number is the same, which version is it?

Hi, welcome.

The version on the menu screen is the one that corresponds with Firaxis versions. That's the one you should use to check compatibility with other platform versions.

The one in Mac OS is only for the Mac package, and is defined by Aspyr.

Any updates on the patch in the Mac App Store? It's been over a month, yet I'm still looking at 1.0.0.574 (125235) on the menu screen. Thanks!

ETA: Welp, talked to Aspyr support and they said the patch should be live on the Mac App Store at 1 PM CST (-6 GMT) today, Wednesday, January 21st. Instructions are to gnash your teeth like a crack addict until the appointed hour, then update through the App Store.

So, does the Mac version support mods? Does it support Steam Workshop? Does it include modding tools?

Or, is it like before, and we get less functionality for the same price as Windows customers?

Just curious which it is this time...(i.e. I'm thinking about buying it and wondering if I should give Aspyr any money or not)

Edit: No reply to this after 10 or 11 days, so I think that it may be best to give this game a pass, unless someone has something better to say...

Edit: No reply to this after 10 or 11 days, so I think that it may be best to give this game a pass, unless someone has something better to say...

You are thinking of passing because of the lack of communication. I would think that the state of the game was reason enough to pass.

Top Bottom