Looking for good deity challenge/ map

IronfighterXXX

Work Hard - Play Hard
Well, playing average deity map is no longer fun for me. I'm looking for either an idea for challenge similar to my sub 200T science or culture victory (require to roll great map) or very bad map
(from time to time on this forum someone say that had 'impossible' start )

However I would like to this challenge to be as close to normal settings as possible
(so challenge in type only honour policies, no universities until 200T, play drunk etc does not appeal to me ;), also no hand-build map in WB)

Some ideas?:)

sop, something along the lines of Genghis Khan/Arborea/No-wars/Culture-only I guess?

Some ideas?:)

Well I've got a really fun map I rolled a couple of weeks ago I've been saving for an IDS post once I can finish current DCL games.

I'll put some details in the spoiler, but let me just say that although it has some overpowered aspects, it is actually a hard map to play….but it is definitely fun IMHO. If ya'll want to play it, I'll post the t0 save later today.

Spoiler :

Civ: Dutch (plenty of hexes for Polders and nobody else wants to settle in swamp, so expansion may be easy…..it was for me).
Map Type: Fractal (I think that's what I remember)
Standard size and speed.

I won't give away who the AI are, but let me just say that there are not 1, not 2, but 3 of the best NW's all within settling range (I was able to settle all 3 for a 4-city very strong start).

Make a vidLP of DCL #10 and show us how easy it is :p

Exactly. I'd like to see someone win a DomV on #14 or #15, as well. Heck, any victory on #14 would be nice, since only I (the host, who has had access to the map the longest) and one other person, have submitted wins for it.

Also, if the DCL series is too easy for you, IronFighterXXX, to the point where you're willing to denigrate it publicly, you can also contribute maps you think are more difficult, so we can all try the same strict challenges you yourself thrive on. deitychallenge@outlook.com

Wait a second! I beat both the #10 and #15 DCL's with Domination. Yes they were late wins coming on Turn 396 and Turn 317 but most of my games go over 300 turns. If I can win these via Domination it would be a cake walk for this player!

IronfighterXXX is no joke! I have seen him win many of Deity GOTMs where you are not allowed to reload for any reason except if your game crashes and you have to submit that file for verification. He beat the hardest one to date that was a boreal forest map where you had to win via CV (TSG85).

http://gotm.civfanatics.net/results/tsg.php?game=085

A very difficult map/VC since you had a runaway cultural giant on the other Continent! He made this game look easy. Only Glory_7 posted a faster win and only 4 players submitted a win total!

It is obvious that the regular standard SP game is boring IronfighterXXX. It seems he needs more aggressive challenges. The only thing I do not like is that for sub 200 Turn games you need to keep rolling a perfect map, but this seems to appeal to this player.

DCL games are informal and more for fun. Some of us choose not to reload/replay maps but many do. Of course the DCL is getting stronger since the host is making a strong effort to keep it fresh. However, IronfighterXXX did make a comment about not wanting to play the game drunk but have you ever tried playing this game while up in the clouds from smoking too much? It is not very fun or easy!

I know IronfighterXXX is no joke. Nothing I wrote was meant to suggest that. But unlike Acken, who is certainly a very good player, Ironfighter is not submitting wins for the DCL at all. If that's because it's too boring, why doesn't he roll (and submit) a really tricky win. I know that Grendel was also a bit bored by the DCL which is why, under his tenure, it became a lot harder. I've tried hard to balance it so that some maps are 'accessible', some are more 'challenging', and some are a lot more difficult, in my opinion. I think #14 is a bit of a stinker, actually, and #18 won't be a cakewalk, for anyone, I promise that.

@IronfighterXXX - What about taking DCL#10 and showing us how fast a DomV you can get, and making a video, so we can learn from your skill? :)

Thanks for all answers!

sop, something along the lines of Genghis Khan/Arborea/No-wars/Culture-only I guess?

Sounds as challenging as boring ;)

Well I've got a really fun map I rolled a couple of weeks ago I've been saving for an IDS post once I can finish current DCL games.

Well from your description I don't see where is challenge at all, maybe first post save for an IDS. :)

Make a vidLP of DCL #10 and show us how easy it is :p

I think you a little bit miss my point, I thought about impossible map, like from this thread where people claimed not all map are winnable
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=536138
I don't believe in it but maybe indeed someone rolled very, very bad map.
I read 10 DLC thread and there were many wins, even culture on 277T - not saying map is easy but definetely not unbeatable.

About me and vidLP
I mostly play in my free time at work with game running in background so it will be hard to make good LP
(also sometimes I like think more or calculate something not mention I'm not fluent in english - not entertaining to watch)
However when I do some challenge I have my autosaves set to one turn and keep them all in case in someone is interested in seeing them.

He beat the hardest one to date that was a boreal forest map where you had to win via CV (TSG85).

Yes it was good GOTM. But man, you just remember me about current 100 GOTM - it's deity with 250 turn score victory http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=540548
Clearing whole map until 250T actually looks like very good challenge :)

Well from your description I don't see where is challenge at all, maybe first post save for an IDS. :)

Without giving much away, as I do intend to post this game on IDS thread, it sort of depends on your definition of "challenging". When I role a random civ, Netherlands in this case, one of the things I find most challenging/entertaining is to see how I can maximize that civ's uniques. This is generally my only preconceived plan. After that, the "challenge" to me is to adapt to what the map brings and then figure out what VC I can pull off. This particular map has some very big game-changing features that make my sub-optimal approach more interesting than usual.

I guess my definition of "challenging" is probably more like "interesting". The Rome and Polynesia DCL's were hard….even challenging. I found the overpowered Byzantine DCL to be more interesting/fun.

What about something with religious dominance as early as possible? AI is pretty tough on that part..

Good idea Gustavus Rex! Obviously they will take Pilgrimage, Mosques and probably RT and whatever is left for the Enhancer, but getting a religion spread to a whole Continent is really tough on Deity, let alone a whole Pangaea.

What about something with religious dominance as early as possible? AI is pretty tough on that part..

Probably it just means kind of domination victory + religion.

I have other domination victory related idea for my next deity challenge - clearing whole map (including CSs) sub 200T. Will be it challenging enough - any thoughts?

If you want to do it, that's up to you, but I'd say that in any challenge, I don't see the point of playing sub-optimally. Razing every captured city would be bad play, and many of the CS you capture should be liberated to compensate for the rest of the warpath.

How about trying to go for a 1 Billion population challenge? I saw someone attempt that on reddit with pacal on emperor, on a huge map.

If you want to do it, that's up to you, but I'd say that in any challenge, I don't see the point of playing sub-optimally. Razing every captured city would be bad play, and many of the CS you capture should be liberated to compensate for the rest of the warpath.

The point is to have some challenge,otherwise there is nothing challenging in sub 200T domination.
I may add that clearing map not necessary means razing all cities just all cities in end must be yours.

How about trying to go for a 1 Billion population challenge?

:sleep::sleep::sleep: ;)

OCC Domination with a mediocre civ? With a turn limit? And other things that make it tougher?

OCC Domination with Indonesia or Iroquois on Fractal?

What about this... Have a player that normally plays a lower level... Maybe king/emperor... Start your game. You take over at turn 100 or something and lead the, to victory. This is inspired by an old civ3 thread where someone posted a situation they thought had reached impossibility and someone took it over and showed how he turned everything around step by step.

Just an idea!

How about trying to go for a 1 Billion population challenge? I saw someone attempt that on reddit with pacal on emperor, on a huge map.

An attempt ? How is that hard to do ?
Here is a 2.1 Billion empire I did for a HoF game... on a standard size map even.

Spoiler :

Top Bottom