Firaxis announces "Sid Meier's Starships"

Apparently it's going to sort of have a gameplay where you can play Civ BE and Starships together ....

But anyways, Firaxis seems to be going like: "Civ BE was a waste of money, how about we scam more people into buying a crappy game" The pain .....

I am intrigued that the game will apparently have some cross connectivity with BE. If you look at the screenshots, you can see that the starships have the same style as purity, harmony and supremacy units. So, perhaps your affinity choice carries over from BE to Starships.

And, it looks like Sid Meier is more involved in this game. Looks very promising.

Apparently it's going to sort of have a gameplay where you can play Civ BE and Starships together ....

But anyways, Firaxis seems to be going like: "Civ BE was a waste of money, how about we scam more people into buying a crappy game" The pain .....

I don't know about that. Starships looks at first glance like it could be a cool game. Plus, the fact that Sid himself seems to be developing this game is very promising.

Of course; heck, every single game ever made has potential. Just look at BE as a good example (sarcasim intended)

I get the sarcasm. ;)

But if the game does turn out to be a good game, then so much the better.

Again, since Sid himself seems to be taking the lead on this game, I am more inclined to trust that it will be a good game.

It might fill a vital niche in the 4x genre (non complicated game with many options), or it might make GalCiv III look good and make that game the new standard for 4x in space.

I guess it depends if Master of Orion IV is going to be a F2P game like World of Tanks now that Wargaming.net owns the IP etc... (I'd rather it wasn't)

Another reason why I am very interested in this game is because it appears to have a lot in common with Sid Meier's Pirates! where the focus is on a ship and having adventures, rather than on empire building. Pirates! was one of my favorite Sid games of all time and a ton of fun. Having a similar game, set in space, will be great, and a nice change of pace.

I would be excited if not for Beyond Earth. I was excited for that, too. It's saver to assume this will be total crap. At least this way I can be suprised in a positive sense. I'm done with Firaxis after Beyond Earth. Maybe if this game gets overwhelming approval I'll give them another chance.

doesn't look like a 4X game to me. not from the description, nor the few screenshots or Sid's comments: "an experience that focuses on starship design and combat within a universe filled with interstellar adventure, diplomacy, and exploration".

Wow, that's amazing!

I believe their office is setup in a split of two main development teams... So, Sid and a small team are working on this, the first main team is working on Beyond Earth and its expansion, and another team is potentially (hopefully) working an another XCOM expansion/sequel (according to rumors). Looks like Firaxis is really into the Sci-Fi these days -- which is great!

I also like that it's set within the wonderful Beyond Earth universe they've created.

The ability for a developer to work on more than one game at a time doesn't indicate any former product is a "waste of money".

Nor does releasing a standalone game at all scam people into buying a previous product. Think, for a second. Why does releasing a second game make people who don't like the first game . . . want to get it? If you don't like a game, you don't like it. You don't go and drop money on it if another game you might like comes out later on.

This is not one I'm picking up. For me, BE was not enjoyable and anything like it or spacish turns me off right now.

Good on them for trying something new though.

I just wish they'd put some effort into making Civ VI. If they're not going to do a Civ VI, sell the rights to someone who will.

Why on Earth would they sell their flagship IP? Do you even have any idea of how that works? Or how long they might want to take developing a game? Or the fact that they have both Civilisation and XCOM to work on as franchises (Starships looks like a standalone-y kind of thing, much like Revolutions was in the end).

Just because CiVI hasn't magically appeared in the past four months since they released Civ:BE, doesn't mean they aren't working on it :p

Top Bottom