Historical Technological Accuracy

universalbri

Chieftain
Hi there -

I am thinking of creating a mod - and am curious - with the way technology is represented in game, the presentation of technology is limited and always seems to require 'serving some purpose.

Now I am curious - has anyone created a mod portraying a more realistic succession of technology as it relates to the particular culture?

For instance, the Chinese invented fireworks shortly after gunpowder in real life. Fireworks are arguably a very important part of Chinese and Western culture, and the novelty wasn't really accepted into western civilizations until the early 19th century - by traveling businessman who were working with foreign supply chains - bringing something 'fun' back from the orient for their children.

Now I am curious, are there any mods providing a more realistic intent to portray the technological chains more realistically - and include the more important cultural and historical innovations such as fireworks and 'Windows based operating systems' which arguably changed computing to present it to the masses?

having every culture with the same technological progression chain just doesn't make sense. sure. It balances things. But completely eliminates creativity.

It's like Worlds of Warcraft.l I used to be a Druid. And then druids got nerfed for being overpowered. So I switched to a hunter. Then they got nerfed for being overpower.

It's not that these games and technological chains are inherently imbalanced. It's that the people who tend to play them lack the creativity to play with any playstyle other than one, and that's domination.

Which has me curious. Might we expose more playstyles and easter eggs with a more historically realistic technological chain? has anyone done this?

Hi there -

I am thinking of creating a mod - and am curious - with the way technology is represented in game, the presentation of technology is limited and always seems to require 'serving some purpose.

Now I am curious - has anyone created a mod portraying a more realistic succession of technology as it relates to the particular culture?

For instance, the Chinese invented fireworks shortly after gunpowder in real life. Fireworks are arguably a very important part of Chinese and Western culture, and the novelty wasn't really accepted into western civilizations until the early 19th century - by traveling businessman who were working with foreign supply chains - bringing something 'fun' back from the orient for their children.

Now I am curious, are there any mods providing a more realistic intent to portray the technological chains more realistically - and include the more important cultural and historical innovations such as fireworks and 'Windows based operating systems' which arguably changed computing to present it to the masses?

having every culture with the same technological progression chain just doesn't make sense. sure. It balances things. But completely eliminates creativity.

It's like Worlds of Warcraft.l I used to be a Druid. And then druids got nerfed for being overpowered. So I switched to a hunter. Then they got nerfed for being overpower.

It's not that these games and technological chains are inherently imbalanced. It's that the people who tend to play them lack the creativity to play with any playstyle other than one, and that's domination.

Which has me curious. Might we expose more playstyles and easter eggs with a more historically realistic technological chain? has anyone done this?

A lot of the mods created have played with the Technology Tree to include civilization specific technologies, or technologies dependent on certain societal types. Check them out in the Creation and Customization forum.

Top Bottom