Civ4 XML Editor - First Release!

Well, I have good news, I have the CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml all parsed and into controls. Only took a few hours. In theory, all I need is to continue parsing the xmls that contain all the information that CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml tags point to, it should be usable soon.

At launch, it should support:
1) Creating and Opening a mod
2) Adding and Removing Civs
3) Editing all values in the CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml (Assigning Civ's cities, color, units, buildings, etc..)
4) Viewing lists of units, buildings, techs, civics, etc.. that exist in the mod
5) Editing all values in the Civ4LeaderInfos.xml
6) Assigning Leaderhead files (A viewer is iffy until I do more research on the formats and display controls)
7) Assigning Intro Graphics (was one of my favorite bits I accomplished once I found out how to do it by hand...simple, sadly)
8) Assigning audio files
9) A folder selection (asked once and only once) and a "Recent Mods" menu command to quickly load your mods.

I'd eventually like to offer a full unit, tech, building, and civilopedia editor, but that would multiply the time it would take (not to mention chance of failure) to get something usable out the door for the first release.

Also, I'm a little worried about supporting custom tags for the more advanced mods. At the very least, I want to have an editor that doesn't overwrite tags it doesn't expect.

Modular XML is also under consideration, as this would alter the folder structure of mods.

I'm aiming a first release for 11:59pm, Sunday, August 20th..assuming finishing my basement doesn't exhaust me. Currently I have most civilization files parsed, and values selectable.

To Do List:
1) New and edit mechanics for tags
2) "New Project" mechanics (copy all base files/folders from BTS mod dir?)
3) Add more mod property controls
4) Selection and copy mechanism for audio and images
5) Parse and display all mod buildings, techs, units, promotions, etc... (not required but useful)
6) Convert dictionaries to datasets (codespeak)
7) Saving back to XMLDocuments
8) Exception handling

I'm excited! Will it be just for vanilla Civ, or will it be compatible with Warlords and/or BTS? Regardless of what it works with, I am definitely going to nab it!

Currently it's targetted for BtS expansion. But, it shouldn't be too hard to make it backwards compatible, something I'll definately look into after I release it.

If the XML node structure is the only difference, honestly, it should be pretty easy. Any other bits like a "Corporation Tab" which wouldn't exist in Vanilla or Warlords could simply be disabled.

Grakl - Any updates on the progress of the editor and/or it's projected release?

You should also create your own thread for it, since I think a new and (most likely) working Civ editor deserves its own thread, even if it is just to update those interested on your progress.

Well, I didn't want to jinx the release and disappoint. But, I have been making quite a bit of progress...though some of it was rework.

I have a preview of what's done so far (I opened the Charlemagne Mod):

Unfortunately, I need to amend #5:
5) Editing all values in the Civ4LeaderInfos.xml

I finally opened that for the first time last night, wow...just wow. Way too many variables to cram into by the first release. I'm going to downgrade that to the primary goal after the first release. Particularly because I've noticed some requests for a Leaderhead editor (and here I thought ya'll meant selecting the graphic ><).

Regardless, everything looks to be on schedule. Well, minus that I have a bachelor party on Sat. night that I didn't remember, but I can use Sunday to program and recover.

To Do List For First Release:
1) New and edit mechanics for tags
2) "New Project" mechanics (copy all base files/folders from BTS mod dir?)
3) Add more mod property controls - DONE
4) Selection and copy mechanism for audio and images
5) Parse and display all mod buildings, techs, units, promotions, etc... (not required but useful)
6) Convert dictionaries to datasets (codespeak) - DONE
7) Saving back to XMLDocuments
8) Exception handling

Looking at the list, I have the algorithms for each item all planned out (which is half the work). I'll eventually need some user input on certain values. For instance: Derivative Civ...does anyone actually use that? Also, some functionality has been removed (Creating Player Colors) since it's simply too complicated and/or minor to justify spending time on for now.

Is the Derivative Civ option used to select the vassal you get when you split overseas cities into a separate colony? If so I would say keep it... As for colors - Futzy's old editor just selected the colors from already-existing lists. If that's what your editor will do then I think you're good for color options.

I've always got input to give, so if you need any I hope I can help some!

Can you also Include a Mouse over HELP for all he different areas that we might be editing? I mean let us know what the particular thing we are editing does.

Can you make this editor Spit out Modular CIVS?

Modular civ's allows us to combine all mods by just dragging them into a folder. Instead of combining all the XML files into one XML file.

This should actually make your program even easier to write because then there are no admendments to files it would just create new ones.

I get an error message every time i try to do something... it says

unhandled exception has occurred in your application if you click continue blah blah blah...

them it says

Could not find a part of the path C:\users\Dan\documents\My games\Sid meiers civilization 4/MODS

:assimilate:- my computer is evil. Its trying to recruit me

On mine it does the same thing when the program starts up it displays
"Could not find a part of the path C:\program files\firaxis games\sid myers civilization 5\mods" I'm sure it says 5 yes. then if I click continue, it gives an error when I do ANY THING click a check box, enter text or highlight anything

it keeps trying to go to C:\program files\firaxis games\sid myers civilization 5\mods even after i changed it in the configuration file can you fix this?

whenever i try to open a map that i made with the civ4 editor this appears...
Value of '460000' is not valid for 'Value'. 'Value' should be between 'Minimum' and 'Maximum'.
Parameter name: Value
Stack Trace
ArgumentOutOfRangeException
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.MarshaledInvoke(Control caller, Delegate method, Object[] args, Boolean synchronous)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.Invoke(Delegate method, Object[] args)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.Invoke(Delegate method)
at Civ4MapGenerator.LoadScreen.DoLoad(Object param)
at Civ4MapGenerator.TaskScreen.RunThread(Object host)
Using Civ4 Home Of
C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4

What do i do???????

Its still not working could anyone help with this :please::help: pleeeeeaaaasssse!
Is there anyone who can fix this for us
The person who made it has left and I don't think he's coming back

yes, helps plz

hi, when im creating a new civ, there are no buildings, units or leaders in the "avilable" list.

i've sent an email to Ian Foutz, but I didn't get any awnser.

please help!

This tool doent work for my system (Windows XP and Civilization 4 with warlords and Beyond the sword, 3.19 (latest update as far as i know)

Error messages and crashes. Any idea why?

...DX

Top Bottom