Turn14 -3350bc
warrior still goes north

Turn15 -3300bc
warrior goes NW
worker roads wheat

Turn16 -3250bc
warrior goes west

Turn17 3200bc
warrior still goes west (he hasn't done too well so far.)
worker moves via road to bonus square next to city on the west

Turn18 -3150bc
worker mines bonus grass
a settler is produced and moves westard
set to produce another warrior
old warrior moves south to join settler

Turn19 -3100bc
We get Bronze Working; set to Wheel
warrior moves west
settler moves west

Turn#20 -3050bc
settler moves west
warrior moves west; sees a hut and ponders

Turn21 -3000bc
warrior pops hut. we get Alphabet!
worker roads on mine
settler goes west. Oops. He is by a coastal stream

Turn22 -2950bc
settler moves to bonus grass
warrior comes down to join him

Turn23- 2900bc
another warrior is produced; set to build spearman next
new warrior moves east via road and is fortified next to hut
settler builds Shanghai
old warrior moves toward Shanghai

Turn24-2850bc
An Englisman appears across the coastal stream
warrior moves west
worker mines bonus grass

Turn25-2800bc
Elizabeth wants us to give her 40 gold for pottery. We say yes.
warrior moves west

Turn26 -2750bc
fortified warrior on the strip of land close to the Englishman
Damn. Our worker irrigated the bonus grass instead of mining it. ^$#^%
He now builds a road

Turn27- 2710bc
I wake the fortified warrior and move him via road to other warrior near hut. Both are fortified

Turn28 -2670bc
Shanghai builds warrior; set to build worker
fortified new warrior
worker in Beijing moves to another bonus grass
Spearman is built and fortified. Set to build granary
I wake up the 2 fortified warriors. They pop the but and three furious barbarians pour out.
One of our warriors killes a barbarian

Turn29 -2630bc
All the barbarians are killed! And we have a veteran warrior.
I press space bar to heal our warrior that was wounded
worker mines bonus grass

Turn30- 2590bc
warrior moves south east

We'll have to see if anyone else takes this approach. ;)

4000 BC (turn 1) – Found Beijing in the start point. See the cow and the wheat. Yeehaw! Move the worker to the G+ square. Research Pottery at Max rate.
Test costs to research base techs: CB=26, Wheel=54, Pottery=26, Alphabet=66, BW=20
3900 BC (turn 3) – (road completes on G+)
3750 BC (turn 6) – Warrior1 out of Beijing moves NE to mountain and sees hut. (mine completes)
3700 BC (turn 7) – Discovered Pottery. Worker1 moves to mountain NE of Beijing in route to cow. Warrior1 turns straight north.
3600 BC (turn 9) – Warrior1 sees mountains north.
3550 BC (turn 10) – Warrior2 out of Beijing moves west along road then straight south and sees gold hill to the west choose forest south. (mine completes on G+). Road

3500 BC (turn 11) – Borders expand. Warrior1 continues north onto mountain and can see coast. Warrior2 continues south.
3450 BC (turn 12) – Warrior1 NW onto hill. Warrior2 continues straight south and runs into hut.
3400 BC (turn 13) – Worker2 out of Beijing hits plains forest. Warrior2 gets a friendly Mongol settler out of the hut and he founds Shanghai. We cans see furs and tundra further south. Warrior1 heads straight north onto mountain and can see beaucoup coastline.
3350 BC (turn 14) – Worker1 completes cow road and mine and moves to clear forest NE of wheat. Warrior2 continues straight south from Shanghai.
3300 BC (turn 15) – Warrior2 sees a wall of snowy mountains south of Shanghai.
3250 BC (turn 16) – Warrior1 meets the Zulus north of the mountain choke point. Shaka is CB, Bronze, Alphabet and Wheel ahead.Warrior2 turns west and sees the coast and a hut.
3200 BC (turn 17) – Warrior2 disturbs a host of angry Tartar warriors.
3150 BC (turn 18) – Warrior2 defeats all the Tartars and is now elite. Micromanage research to conserve cash.
3100 BC (turn 19) – Discovered Alphabet. Warrior1 keeps Zulu Warrior under observation. Plains forest cleared SE of Beijing to help build granary.
3050 BC (turn 20) – 2nd forest cleared at Beijing.

3000 BC (turn 21) – Plains SE of Beijing are now irrigated to extend H2O to wheat. Warrior2 mounts hill, sees wine, and meets a cautious Libby settler and conscript guard. Libby is CB, Math, Wheel, and BW ahead. Worker3 out of Shanghai to improve the cow.
2950 BC (turn 22) – Attack the English Settler and conscript guard and gain two slaves from Libby (I bet she will think twice about not settling and fortifying where she stood next time. Not.) Granary is complete in Beijing
2900 BC (turn 23) – Warrior1 spies the Zulu border while shadowing the Zulu warrior north northwest. Warrior2 (3/5) draws back up onto the hill to defend the choke point. Slaves begin road back toward Beijing across the hills. Worker2 move to G+ square 2SW of Beijing.
2800 BC (turn 25) – Warrior3 garrisons Beijing. Worker1 moves to link road east to cow.
2750 BC (turn 26) –
2710 BC (turn 27) – Worker3 moves to road back to Beijing. Warrior1 is looping back to the north choke point. Warrior2(5/5) is healed and fortified on hills. Two english warriors show up to try and get around our warrior gatekeeper.
2630 BC (turn 29) – Hills at choke have roads, Warrior2 (5/5) shuttles between. Libby's warriors are afraid to attack our elite warrior. Settler out of Beijing heads for choke point.
2590 BC (turn 30) –

Here are the save files:

cracker's 3550bc
cracker's 3050bc
cracker's 2590bc

3400 BC (turn 13) – Worker2 out of Beijing hits plains forest. Warrior2 gets a friendly Mongol settler out of the hut and he founds Shanghai.

Game, set and match. This is exactly why I didn't want huts. I did think of this as somewhat of a competition, and that type of luck with a good player is almost impossible to beat.

Lee, is it always a matter of luck what comes out? Both times I popped the hut to the east of my city (once in a failed game and then in another try when I had two warriors) I got 3 barbs.

But would someone else by chance get a tech or a settler instead of barbs?

Are what in the huts there for everyone? Or is there something random about what comes out?

stwils:confused:

What comes out of a hut is MOSTLY luck.
However, expansionist will NEVER get barbs.
If you pop a hut before any military, no barbs.
To get the settler you must not have any settlers on the map, or being built.
In addition it can only happen early in the game - however, I can’t find the thread to say if it is
1) Less cities then AI cities
2) Less cities then # of AI civs.
I think the second, but several people say the first.
Once the middle ages appear - no techs.

But what I am asking is this:

Let's say you and I download the same succession game to start playing at 4000bc.

Is it going to be constant what comes out of goodie hut " A" for you as well as for me? Or will there be differences between what we each may get?

stwils

No - Each hut is a random event. If you hit it one turn later, the RnG will draw a different number, and give you a different event.

Consider my report
3450 BC - OK, time to pop the risky hut - What do you know, we get CB.
My risky hut was the one to the east, close to the capital.

Stwils,

All 3 will put you over the size limit for attachments, the form seems to work better if you use the upload feature.

As far as the barbs go the only reason I didn't pop that hut to the east was fear of barbs. One of the many things I learned in the Handy game is to be careful of huts too close to the capital. I popped it in that game and got maps and asked why others, cracker included passed it by. The answer was the chance of barbs. That made we think twice in this game. I went back and checked out what happens if I bee-line to the hut with the first warrior, I got destroyed.

Hotrod

Here's my first 30 turns

1) 4000 BC

worker moves SE along the river onto b-grass to scout, sees two more bg's in that dirction.
Beijing founded where the settler is standing, and... nice, two food bonues.
Research set to the cheapest tech -- Pottery, at max.
Beijing starts on a warrior

2) 3950 BC
worker starts on roading the square that he currently starts on.

3) 3900 BC

nada

4) 3850 BC

worker finishes road, moves to the plain tile E of Beijing.

5) 3800 BC

worker starts irrigating.
Science dialed down to 70%, pottery still in 2.

6) 3750 BC

Our first warrior is trained out of Beijing. He heads towards the mountain to the NW of the city.
I order a second warrior.

7) 3700 BC

pottery is finished. CB next.
worker finishes irrigating, starts road.

8) 3650 BC

warrior continues to trek atop the mountain ridge to our west, an inland sea is sighted.

9) 3600 BC

the scouting warrior continues his westward march.
the worker finishes road, and head toward the cattles.

10) 3550 BC

the cattles are being irrigated. Mooo...

11) 3500 BC

our wester scout follows the mountian ridge as it turns up north. Jungle, Spice, a goodie hut and more mountian are within view.
Beijing expands and finishes a warrior. The new warrior is send along the road to the hill 2 tiles east of the city. Yep, it's the coast.
What should Beijing build now? I don't see any really good spot around yet to justify an early settler. If I go with a granary, it's going to tie up Beijing for quite a while, and afterwards Beijing will have enough food to do settler none stop. It's eventually going to get to that point. I decided that I need more scouting an military protection, so a third worrior is ordered up next.

12) 3450 BC

The hut on the mountain next to the spice turns out to be empty. The eastern scout heads NE, avoiding the hut for now.
Worker finishes irrigating, starts road.
science down to 10%.

13) 3400 BC

What to research next? Bronze or Wheel? I'm not going to build spears for a while yet. Wheel it is.

14) 3350 BC

Worker finishes road, goes onto the wheat square.

15) 3300 BC

Third worrior finishes. Faced with the choice of staying home or scouting, I choose scouting. It will cost money because Beijing will grow to size 3 on the next turn, so it is bad for quickstart points short-term-wise, but I believe finding a good second city site to our south is more important long term.
Speaking of the second city, a setter is ordered up.
Worker starts irrigating the wheat.

16) 3250 BC

The western scout now stands on what appears to be a mountaineous land bridge. The eastern scout sights another spice, this time in a forrest, the new southern scout heads toward the gold hill.
Beijing grows to 3, Lux to 10%, Wheel now due in 6. Setter due in 7, growth in 5.

17) 3200 BC

The western scout sees a goodie hut and gem; the eastern scout step into the spice forrest and finds cattles grazing right next to him; the sourthern scout finds more of the inland see and a wheat.

18) 3150 BC

The Shiagan tribe contributes 25 gold to our coffers. More river grassland to the NE, and wine next to the inland sea!

19) 3100 BC

Adjust Beijing worker from wheat to forrest, Beijing will now grow in 2 and finish settler in 3.
Worker move towards the bonus grasslands.

20) 3050 BC

Worker starts mine.

21) 3000 BC

Beijing to size 4. Lux to 20%. Science to 50%, Wheel still due in 2.

22) 2950 BC

Southern warrior meets up with an English warrior/settler pair. They are up Bronze, Alphabet, and Mysticism on us.
Beijing finishes setter. He is sent towards the English.
Yellow border seen up north.
Research is set to nil. I want enough money to buy Alphabet ASAP.

23) 2850 BC

In between turns, a yellow Zulu pair of settler and warrior shows up. They have the exact same tech the the English. So they have met (or not... but what are the chances)
I trade 42 gold to Liz for Alphabet, and starts min research on Math.

24) 2800 BC

Shanghai founded north of the one tile inland lake, with two tiles of overlap with Beijing.
Beijing grows back to size 3. 10% Lux. The eastern warrior is heading back home to ease the lux burden.

25) 2750 BC

Northern (formally western) scout sees grey border), heads towards it.

26) 2710 BC

27) 2670 BC

As expected, the grey people turned out to be the Indians. They have Bronze but lack Masonry, Pottery and Wheel. Trade is made: Masonry -> Bronze + all of his gold. Liz is the only one with Iron Working.

28) 2630 BC

Beijing reaches size 4, tiles are rearrange to make it grow in 5 and finish the granary in 4.

29) 2590 BC

Shanghai finishes warrior, starts another one.

30) 2550 BC

Last turn this round, time for diplomatics. What! Zulus have Writing, but does not yet have relations with the Indians or English! HA!
Contact with Indians + 6 gold to Shaka for contact with the Americans...
but Lincoln does not have writing. Bah, now I have to buy writing at monopoly price, but that's still better than letting Shaka broker the contacts around.
Contact with English + 4gpt +46 gold to Shaka for Writing.
Contact with Americans + Writing to Liz for 40 gold (that was cheap, I guess she was researching Writing)
Writing to Abe for Mysticism + 16 gold.
At the end the round, Shaka, Abe and I are at tech parity, Liz is ahead by Iron and Horseback Riding, and poor Ganhdi is left behind.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads2/q1-SJF-2550BC.sav

Here is something else that I found interesting:

Originally posted by cracker
2950 BC (turn 22) – Attack the English Settler and conscript guard and gain two slaves from Libby

I had the chance to do the same thing on my turn 22. So it was probably on the same spot too. Of course I did not attack. There were two differences in the situation. One, Cracker had an Elite warrior, while I only had a regular, and two, I'm a peaceful player at heart. Looking back, I think that even if I had an elite warrior, I would still not have attacked. It simply never occured to me.

My opening build sequence was:

warrior-warrior-warrior-settler-granary

My reasoning was that once Beijing is outfitted with a granary, it can produce 1 setter every 4 turns none stop, therefore I wanted to get a military training city up and running before Beijing starts cranking out settlers none stop. Do you think it's :smoke: or :goodjob: ?

As I told cracker, one interest in this game for me was to try
something that's NOT my typical opening, but something I've been experimenting with lately. So don't laugh too hard if it
doesn't work out :p I'll give more 'reasoning' behind the
choices made on these first turns in the second "set" of posts...

Set 1A
4000 BC - We found where we stand, worker heads to bonus grass, and start a... barracks.
3950 BC - Road in 2, mine in 3, gotta love industrious! :p
We'll mine first then road, then head to the cattle,
making a road along the way.
3600 BC - We start an archer, rax now done.
3550 BC - Here we are, very 'slow' start by score no doubt,
as we've explored nothing and have a low treasury.

Set1B
3500 BC - Culture border expands. Ah, goody hut nearby.
If I hit it now, with no military and no settler in
queue, it shouldn't be 'bad'. Will do road first anyway.
3400 BC - If no one researched the wheel, HBR should be
a good sell too. Goes nice with the all-offense no-defense
theme here, rather than Bronze Working. With the archer
due next turn, we hit the hut now -- Ceremonial Burial.
We'll lay down a road then come back and mine the cow.
3350 BC - First archer is ready. Now where is our fresh
meat? To the north is a lot of flood plains, possibly
great food, easy to get a settler. To the NE is our nicely
laid road. From the slight view of water I would say a
coast lies to our east. More river down south to explore.
The question is... where are the horses? May as well use
the mountains nearby to expand our view.

Growth/Settler due in 5/8 or 15/6. We can grow in six with
settler in 6 or 7, shifting tiles and/or getting extra shields
on the growth turn.

3250 BC - Not seeing much, a lake to the NW (coast, but water's
food says 2) Only 'plain' flood plains to North.

3150 BC - Ah, spices to the north, as we continue along mtn.
It's six steps away, there's a hill we could found on,
on a river, north of the capital and 3 steps from each.
Still... we want a horse spot asap.

3100 BC - Excellent, we hit size three and 7 shields per turn,
needing just seven to pop our settler, so he's due next round.
The worker will hit the wheat next, and probably chop a forest
to get fresh water over to it. Our archer scout sees goody
hut and another spice.

3050 BC - The hut gives us Pottery, very good. It also continues
the mountain range seach. Actually, I was expecting to meet
someone yet, but the fact I haven't is just my chosen style's
poor exploration.

Set 1C
2900 BC - We found Shanghai, not far away, and it starts a settler.
Coast seen to the NE, and another lux of some sort east.

2750 BC - Horses are spotted! NW of capital and Shanghai.
I plan to settle just SW of them, next to fish and fresh lake.
Our second archer is rdy and we need to see what is to our South.
Our second research choice is Bronze, btw, since we're so martial.

2670 BC - That forest chop got our archer out with no waste,
and now we can start a settler, growth and finish due in 5-6.
The worker will now irrigate over to the wheat, then road up
to other cities. We'll send this archer out SW, the other SE.

Woo, river-wheat-horse spot just SOUTH of us! Even better!
I note my first weed too, didn't HAVE to chop forest to get
water to the wheat of course, the plains tile would do. In
fact we do that one instead of the grass (useless in despotism)

2630 BC - Goody hut and gems seen well up north. (Going to sidestep to get a good view of things in case the hut is ugly)
2590 BC - Finally, as we're starting to wonder if we're on an
island, we see a border. Tis orange -- English!

Charis 3550BC save
Charis 3050BC save
Charis 2590BC save

:hammer:
Charis

PS I agree with Lee - there should be no catching up to a settler from a hut, I wish there was a flag to turn that off at game generation time. I've been in a competition game where I was the only one NOT to get the settler, not a fun game comparison. C'est la vie. Next set of turns should be very fun anyway!

I think just as key as the early free settler is the "free" workers. As an industrial civ even slaves will work at "regular" speed. 2 free workers and an early settler is nearly impossible to match.

Hotrod

(1) 4000BC
I activate the worker first and move him SE onto the bonus grassland.
Beijing founded at the start location. Warrior begun for exploration.
Press F6 to begin research on pottery - this gains an extra turn on research.
Science to 100% will net us pottery in 7 turns.

(2) 3950BC
Worker begins mining the shielded grassland.

(3) 3900BC
(4) 3850BC
(5) 3800BC
Worker completes mine, road started.

(6) 3750BC
Warrior appears at Beijing. He is sent N to explore, seeing as we're in the Southern half of the minimap.

(7) 3700BC
Worker completes road, and is moved SE again onto a second bonus grassland next to the river. The borders of Beijing will expand to enclose this tile before the mine completes.
Our warrior moves onto the mountain two tiles NW of Beijing, and sees floodplains and more rivers ahead.
Pottery is researched. For China it is imperative that we find horses fast, so next tech to research is the Wheel. Due in 11 turns.

(8) 3650BC
Warrior moves E onto another mountain. Coast is spotted. There are more mountains in this chain, so the warrior will head NW then N to maximize the terrain that is uncovered.

(9) 3600BC
(10) 3550BC
Second warrior is completed. He goes to the mountain to the NE of Beijing and spies a goody hut to the East.
Our NW warrior spies jungle... and spices.

Q1 - Arizona_Steve - 3550BC

(11) 3500BC
Beijing borders expand, just as the second mine completes and the population grows.
Beijing production switched from warrior to granary. It'll mean that our first settler will be popped later, but subsequent settlers will appear much quicker.
NE warrior heads toward goody hut.
Worker completes mine, starts road.
Shift the new citizen from the cow to the mines bonus grassland. Granary build reduced from 15 to 12 turns.
Goody hut spotted in jungle by NW warrior.

(12) 3450BC
NE warrior pops goody hut and gets Ceremonial Burial.
NW warrior pops goody hut and gets maps.

(13) 3400BC
Worker completes road, moves NE/NE/E onto plains square to irrigate next turn (the strategy here is to get the cow and wheat irrigated).
E warrior spots coast from a hill.

(14) 3350BC
Worker begins irrigating plains tile en route to cow/wheat. Warriors continue exploring.

(15) 3300BC
(16) 3250BC
Worker completes irrigation, starts road.
Our wise men discover the Wheel. Next tech is Horseback Riding in 10 turns.

(17) 3200BC
Furs are spotted beyond the NW lake.

(18) 3150BC
Worker completes road, moves onto cow tile.
Horses are found to the SE of Beijing.

(19) 3100BC
(20) 3050BC

Q1 - Arizona_Steve - 3050BC

(21) 3000BC
Luxuries to 10% as the population hits 3 and no military police are present (science to 90%).
Worker irrigates cow tile, starts road.
Granary completes at Beijing - settler started.

(22) 2950BC
We contact the English. Elizabeth is cautious towards us. They are four techs ahead of us, having Horseback Riding, Bronze Working, Alphabet and Mysticism. They only have 10 gold in the treasury however.
Drop science from 90% to 70% as we are losing 1 gold/turn.

(23) 2900BC
Worker completes road, moves to wheat to irrigate.

(24) 2850BC
NW warrior spies a grey border to the North.

(25) 2800BC
S warrior finds another goodie hut.

(26) 2750BC
Luxuries to 20% as Beijing grows to 4. Settler due next turn.
The goodie hut is popped, and gives us Alphabet.
Wheat is irrigated, road started.
NW warrior reaches the grey border, but there is no-one to talk to.
We learn the secrets of Horseback Riding. I switch to mathematics at minimum (10%) science. Mathematics is rarely researched quickly by the AI.
Beijing spits out a settler, and starts another.

(27) 2710BC
I'm going to put the settler on the hill to the South of Beijing. This gets the horses within range without having to build a temple. The disadvantage is that the city is not on a river, however, it will share fewer tiles with the capital.
A polite Ghandi contacts us, offering Bronze Working in exchange for Masonry. In contrast to the English, he has no other techs to offer us, but we are ahead of him by Pottery and the Wheel. I take the straight exchange, seeing as he can't build anything with Masonry apart from the Pyramids (let's waste some AI shields on wonders).

(28) 2670BC
Contact made with an American scout. Lincoln is cautious and has Iron Working and Mysticism for sale. We can offer him The Wheel.
England has writing, but they do not have contact with either India or America. I sell England both contacts in exchange for Writing. Elizabeth is now polite towards us.
I see that Lincoln has contact with the Zulu available for sale.
Ghandi also has Iron Working, Mysticism and contact with the Zulu available - they will also give us the best price for all three, so Writing, the Wheel and 13 gold go Ghandi's way.
Should have done this last turn - luxuries to 0%.
Zululand, incidentally, do not have anything to offer. We are ahead of them by writing.

(29) 2630BC
Luxuries to 10% - Beijing grew last turn.

(30) 2590BC
Shanghai built on the hill. Horses are immediately East, and inside the border. A warrior is ordered.

Q1 - Arizona_Steve - 2590BC

Originally posted by Arizona_Steve
(1) 4000BC
Press F6 to begin research on pottery - this gains an extra turn on research.
Science to 100% will net us pottery in 7 turns.

I had forgotten all about using F6 at the start to begin research. Thanks for the reminder.

stwils:)

here's my turns to 2590bc, just brief notes on the turns something happened

4000 moved worker onto moutain for look around,see cattle to NE and wheat to SE, moved settler E, both bonus' in radius from start but we are not on river.

3950 bejing founded start warrior, sci set to 100% and alphabet
move worker to pop goody... no military no barbs

3900 pop goody get 25gp

3700 warrior built start another

3550 warrior built start settler

3400 meet liz trade masonary for pottery/alphabet and 1 gp. sci set to writing

3250 settler built start granary

3050 shanghai built start warrior

2800 english settler/warrior moves adjacent to elite warrior in W shanghai builds warrior starts another
declare war on liz and attack war/sett win and get 2 workers
meet shaka and trade masonary for CB and 7 gold

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads2/Q1-SWIFTSURE-3550BC.zip
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads2/Q1-SWIFTSURE-3050BC.zip
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads2/Q1-SWIFTSURE-2590BC.zip

(1) 4000 BC - Worker east, heading for cattle (and wheat as it turns out). Build Beijing on starting square. Start training warriors. Start researching Pottery at max sci.

(2) 3950 BC - Worker starts roads to cattle.

(7) 3700 BC - Worker starts irrigating to cattle. Research Pottery (The Wheel next) since Horses will be the military unit of choice.

--

(11) 3500 BC - Worker to wheat. Warrior 1 to close goody hut reveals barbarians. Warrior 2 moves to help. Barbarians move into an annoying position and only one is defeated by warrior 1.

(12) 3450 BC - Warrior 2 moves back in to city to defend it. Worker moves out of danger. Barbarian pillages plains square and the other is defeated by Warrior 2 who promotes.

(13) 3400 BC - Final barbarian defeated.

(14) 3350 BC - Worker moves back onto wheat to road and irrigate (including the pillaged plains). Beijing starts Settler.

(15) 3300 BC - Warriors start heading north, one kind of easterly and the other westerly.

(18) 3150 BC - Research The Wheel (Horseback Riding next).

--

(21) 3000 BC - Eastern warrior discovers horses. Western warrior pops goody hut to give us an extra warrior. Taxes balanced for +0gpt as Beijing produces a settler (starts training another warrior).

(24) 2850 BC - Worker to bonus grassland by Beijing to road and mine. Spot English warrior. The English are way more advanced and we can't afford any techs from them.

(25) 2800 BC - Beijing starts another settler. Eastern warrior pops a goody hut for yet another warrior.

(26) 2750 BC - Found Shanghai N-N-N-NE of Beijing (by a cattle square), and starts building Granary. Warrior off to Shanghai to defend it. Back to max sci.

(29) 2630 BC - Spot Zulu borders and Zulu settler pair. They are also way more advanced than me! They have Writing, contacts with the Americans and the Indians. Research Horseback Riding (Alphabet next). I decide to simply follow them up the tech tree and hope to nab the Great Library.

(30) 2590 BC - Spot English border. Worker heads off for Shanghai having improved 4 squares around Beijing. I have four scouts, two are north by the Zulu border. One is west, another is south-west.

---

The saves:
Theos's 3550 BC save
Theos's 3050 BC save
Theos's 2590 BC save

4000 BC (1)
Found on spot. Start researching pottery. Worker to BG.

3950 BC (2)
Worker starts road.

3900 BC (3)
ZZZZ

3850 BC (4)
Worker starts mine

3800 BC (5)
ZZZZ
(I) First warrior done, start second warrior.

3750 BC (6)
Warrior1 NE to mountain top.
(I) Finish Pottery start Bronze Working.

3700 BC (7)
Worker to plains between cow and wheat. Warrior1 north.

3650 BC (8)
Worker starts road, warrior1 north.

3600 BC (9)
Warrior1 NW towards mountain.
(I) Second warrior finishes start worker.

3550 BC (10)
Warrior2 southwest using road. Warrior to top of mountain, spots spices. Worker moves to cow.(I) Borders expand.

Meldor 3550 BC

3500 BC (11)
Warrior1 N spots coastline, Warrior2 sees wheat to the south and heads that way.

3450 BC (12)
Warrior1 N, Warrior2 S, there is a second wheat and some gold hills.
(I) Worker2 completes, start warrior.

3400 BC (13)
Worker mine cow, Worker to irrigate to wheat. Warrior1 N, Warrior2 S, goodie hut across river.

3350 BC (14)
Pop hut get nasties. Warrior 1 turns W.
(I) Warrior survives all three attacks, goes elite.

3300 BC (15)
Cows and furs to the south, meet tundra. Warrior1 finds large lake.

3250 BC (16)
Worker2 begins working wheat, worker1 starts building road to Shanghai site. Warrior1 meets the Zulu, they have CB and Wheel. No deals to be made. There is a choke point there and we will occupy it. Warrior2 turns W.
(I) Warrior3 completes we start settler.

3200 BC (17)
Warrior1 squats on choke point. Warrior2 W hits coast, Warrior3 west.

3150 BC (18)
Warrior2 forced NW but finds wines. Warrior3 W finds lake shore.

3100 BC (19)
Warrior2 forced north on hill finds two tile choke point. Warrior3 forced north along shore.

3050 BC (20)
Warrior2 W, Warrior3 North.

Meldor 3050 BC

3000 BC (21)
Warroir2 NW, Warrior3 north.

2950 BC (22)
Warrior2 NW, Warrior3 NW to hill and yet another choke point. Worker2 is now working on second BG for Beijing.

2900 BC (23)
Warrior2 watches an english warrior and settler come into view. She has Alphabet as well as CB and Wheel. She refuses to negotiate for peace so we get two free workers. Warrior3 moves from hill to mountain and spots spices and more furs.
(I) English warrior comes into view of warrior3. Since the settler pair was moving east when they came into view, I assume England is in that direction and not to the north. This warrior is probably being recalled for action.

2850 BC (24)
Fortify warrior3, warrior2 retreats with workers to choke point.
(I) We get the Whell and start Horseback Riding.

2800 BC (25)
Move warrior3 back, both are regular and I want the English warrior on grass not in forest.
(I) English warrior attacks and loses. Settler completed and heads for first choke point with wines. Start warrior.

2750 BC (26)
Warrior3 refortifies.

2710 BC (27)
Movement.

2670 BC (28)
English scout spoted running around.

2630 BC (29)
Nada.
(I) Complete warrior4, start settler.

2590 BC (30)
Shanghai founded on hill at chokepoint1 Two english warriors apper out of the fog. Warrior4 headed for Shanghai.

Meldor 2590 BC

I have tried a little bit of a gambit by building a second worker before a settler. Unfortunately, war with England may have taken any advatage of that away. We will see.

I guess my opening was not as unique as I thought it was. I ahve used this opening in some of my games with industrious civs and lots of food. I thought it would make a good comparison.

I also thought I would be the only one to go to war this early. I never pass up a settler/warrior pair this early. It was likely the first english settler so they wilol be set back a lot, I get two free slaves, and she is now building warriors instead of expanding.

As I mentioned above the war may take away the advantage I had in building that first worker as the settler did not go were I wanted, but we will see.

I was thinking like Charis, rather than view this as a must win competition, I think it is a perfect chance to try out those alternate openings and see were they lead. So for that reason free techs and free settlers don't bother me. Of course, I got none of those.

Top Bottom