R.E.D. WWII: Concepts & Suggestions

Played Versian 8 as France, here are some reflections:

1 - Germany AI is improved A lot... which is great :)

2 - Germany doesn't seem interested in Poland at all, they only attacked me and Great Britain. They actually took Paris and were on the verge of taking London, but it would bite them later because they had zero troops on the eastern front when the Soviet Union attacked. It may be possible that the AI is designed to spend all its attention on the human player rather then the other AI players.

3 - Again they were able to take Paris so I experianced the fight as the Free French(which worked out great). I got like 15000 in cash and I still owned one city in Africa, (I'm guessing that you didn't want to do that??). But basically I bought a bunch of tanks and attacked Algeria.

Anyways it's alot better and very fun again :)

I don't know if the Germans really need a boost, because in my v7 game they don't seem to stop producing units now that they've got their buildings done. Perhaps adding realistic war declaration times to give them longer to conquer poland and france before Russia comes in is all that is needed.

I just played the first 30 turns of a game as Italy in v.8. Here is what I noticed:

1. Only having 1 tile to attack Nice from is annoying. Especially because they upgraded the defenses in the city so it had a combat strength of 72 so I was only doing 2-3 damage per attack. 2 Bombers plus 1 Infantry at 2-3 damage per attack equals about 6-9 damage per turn. I think it ended up taking me about 12 turns to take Nice. I wanted to flank it from the sea, however they smartly positioned their Navy there to massacre any units stupid enough to embark.

2. The French AI actually attempted to defend their city from attack. This was something I had not seen before. They actually did a pretty darn good job of it too. They placed a Fighter and a Destroyer in the city to guard against air attacks, a Battleship off the coast to prevent me from embarking units, and an Infantry on a prime potential attacking tile.

3. Germany did not perform very well. Germany declared war on Poland and France on the same turn which seemed to cause them to focus most of their attention on France. That wouldn't be such a bad thing except it led to the peculiar circumstance that Poland invaded Germany. They actually managed to capture Prague and Konigsburg and were on their way to Berlin. I am going to keep playing to see what happens but it doesn't look good for Germany. The problem for Germany is that if they don't capture Warsaw and Paris very quickly they suffer from horrible attrition. It also doesn't help that the AI likes to attack across rivers and suffer horrendous losses. Maybe they can stage a miraculous comeback but I'm not betting on it.

Hopefully I can finish the game tomorrow and I will let you know how it goes.

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0003.jpg
    Civ5Screen0003.jpg
    369 KB · Views: 403
  • Civ5Screen0004.jpg
    Civ5Screen0004.jpg
    420.3 KB · Views: 438
3 - Again they were able to take Paris so I experianced the fight as the Free French(which worked out great). I got like 15000 in cash and I still owned one city in Africa, (I'm guessing that you didn't want to do that??). But basically I bought a bunch of tanks and attacked Algeria.

was an intended (small) test, how does it play ? :D

in future (ie: not the next) version I want to allow the player to chose between African exile with American backup and reconquest from there or continue fight in France after fall of Paris.

there's another bug whith the "Fall of Poland" event... Not as serious as the ones with fall of France or unwanted liberated territory, but still... :blush:

I'll fix it in V.9

was an intended (small) test, how does it play ? :D

in future (ie: not the next) version I want to allow the player to chose between African exile with American backup and reconquest from there or continue fight in France after fall of Paris.

It plays great, the three things that would be nice is, controlling a resistance force on the German occupied France, it would be nice to have few units in England and I shouldn't be able to make tanks as a realistic aspect because I don't think the small african cities could mass produce tanks. And it would be nice to have some sort of a navy left over. But I don't know the "realism" part of these things.

It plays great, the three things that would be nice is, controlling a resistance force on the German occupied France, it would be nice to have few units in England and I shouldn't be able to make tanks as a realistic aspect because I don't think the small african cities could mass produce tanks. And it would be nice to have some sort of a navy left over. But I don't know the "realism" part of these things.

As far as the Navy goes it might be better to continue to have it go to Vichy France in order to simulate this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_on_Mers-el-K%C3%A9bir

I saw that the French UA is supposed to spawn partisans in occupied territory, it would be cool if this happened after the Fall of Paris and the Free French could control them and use them to cause some havoc for Germany.

One thing I am noticing in my games is that I think the Navies are too small for pretty much every power. Especially noticeable is the lack of Carriers. I assume that these will make it into future versions though. It would be nice if the British and French could project Naval power onto their opponents. It would be a fun little side mission for the British to send their Carriers out to sink the Bismark.

I also think the Air Forces could use a little boost in order to make them a more important aspect of gameplay. The battle for air superiority was a major aspect of the war and often determined the fate of invasions ie. The Battle of Britain.

Can somebody explain why my game crashes after a few turns? One turn before it freezes i´m not able to save. This is really annoying. :(

update: I´ve tried it for several times now! After a few attacks (i don´t know how many, maybe 8?) the game crashes. So i start the whole game again, load the scenario and after a few attacks it crashes. I doesn´t depend if i or the AI attacks in one or two rounds. I hope you understand what i mean. I load the game and after a few attacks it crashes again.

Example:

round whatever, say 10: I attack four times
round 11: the enemy attacks two times
round 12: i attack two times *crash*

or

round 10: i attack eight times *crash*

or

round 10: i attack seven times
round 11: the enemy attacks one time *crash*

I hope this is understandable. why is this happening?

Can somebody explain why my game crashes after a few turns? One turn before it freezes i´m not able to save. This is really annoying. :(

Here's what I can come up with:

Are you sure you followed all the installation options?

Do you have any previous versions of the mod (and are you running the latest)?

Worst comes to worst, try a fresh reinstall of both mod parts just in case a file is messed up.

If it still persists, go into the Civ 5 options and put your autosaving to every turn. Upload the last 2 autosaves before the crash and we'll see if anyone else crashes on them.

I tried it but... It´s not autosaveing anymore :confused:
This is just happening in your mod.
But i´ve attached the quicksave of my new game. Here i have the same problem. Is it because i have a german version of the game?

Let me start by saying that I love this mod. Thank you. Few issues that I am having with Version 8. Playing as Germany, every time i take over Paris game crashes with in Turn 10 - 15. Playing with Russians, after taking over Poland few turns later somehow they go back to being Polish nation. Is that part of the game?

I installed it today and began to play. As soon as a city needs a new production, I cannot choose. It will not bring up the choose production screen. Any fixes?

I tried it but... It´s not autosaveing anymore :confused:
This is just happening in your mod.
But i´ve attached the quicksave of my new game. Here i have the same problem. Is it because i have a german version of the game?
autosaving works fine, I'm using it frequently to reload test game. I'll have a look at your save.

Let me start by saying that I love this mod. Thank you. Few issues that I am having with Version 8. Playing as Germany, every time i take over Paris game crashes with in Turn 10 - 15. Playing with Russians, after taking over Poland few turns later somehow they go back to being Polish nation. Is that part of the game?
Do you have a save from just before the crash, or is it random ?

I'm sorry for the second bug, it will be fixed in v.9

I installed it today and began to play. As soon as a city needs a new production, I cannot choose. It will not bring up the choose production screen. Any fixes?
can you post your Lua log when starting a new game (see first post, troubleshooting section added) ?

Which version (patch) of civilization do you use ?

I´ve deleted all the MOD-Data and reinstalled it again. the last time i installed it using winrar. This time i used the game itself, but for the r_e_d__wwii_edition__v_8-folder i had to use winrar again, because the game crashed trying to unpack it. I have still the same problem. After a few attacks it crashes. Maybe the LUA-logfile can help you.
This is an amazing scenario although! :)
The game is still not autosaveing. I don´t understand why. I´ve checked the datafiles of the whole game via steam. Everything alright. Clearing the cache and so on...

update: A new problem. I cannot end the turn anymore. I can press the button, but nothing happens.

Attachments

• Lua.zip
    18.9 KB · Views: 173
you were attacking Lwow when it crashes in that last game ?

do you have the corresponding quicksave ? (or tell me where you was attacking in the previous one you posted)

Ok, on my first game i was playing as germany and i attacked danzig when it happened.
This game iám playing as sowiet union and yes i was attacking lwow.

Attachments

• QuickSave.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 148
Here is log: (upload is not working)!

[1929.373] RedMain: - 4a Divisione corazzata (L6-40) is already registered as UNIT_TANK_L6_40
[1929.389] RedMain: - 5a Divisione corazzata (L6-40) is already registered as UNIT_TANK_L6_40
[1946.814] -------------------------------------
[1946.814] Add and remove dynamic promotions for Adolf Hitler units ...
[1946.814] Receving Global Reinforcements for Adolf Hitler...
[1946.814] Sending Reinforcements to units...
[1948.062] RedMain: -------------------------------------
[1948.062] RedMain: Updating map ...
[1952.134] RedMain: -------------------------------------
[1952.134] RedMain: Forced Diplomacy : looking for Minor relationship...
[1952.134] RedMain: Forced Diplomacy : looking for Minor civilizations Declaration of War...
[1952.134] RedMain: Forced Diplomacy : looking for Major relationship...
[1952.134] RedMain: - Général De Gaulle (ID 6) and Winston Churchill (ID 5) have made a declaration of friendship
[1952.134] RedMain: - Adolf Hitler (ID 7) and Benito Mussolini (ID 14) have made a declaration of friendship
[1952.134] RedMain: Alert for War : looking 5 turns ahead
[1952.134] RedMain: Look for active player (0) at turn 6
[1952.134] RedMain: - No change between major that turn
[1952.134] RedMain: - Minor DOW this turn
[1952.134] RedMain: Alert for War : looking 1 turns ahead
[1952.134] RedMain: Look for active player (0) at turn 2
[1952.134] RedMain: - No change between major that turn
[1952.134] RedMain: - No change between minor that turn
[1952.134] RedMain: ------------- NEW TURN --------------
[1952.134] RedMain: Game turn 1 : July 10, 1939
[1952.134] RedMain: AI turn execution time = 59.447
[1959.278] Runtime Error: [string "Assets\UI\InGame\InfoTooltipInclude.lua"]:181: attempt to call method 'GetPolicyBuildingClassYieldModifier' (a nil value)
[1961.291] Runtime Error: [string "Assets\UI\InGame\InfoTooltipInclude.lua"]:181: attempt to call method 'GetPolicyBuildingClassYieldModifier' (a nil value)
[1962.601] Runtime Error: [string "Assets\UI\InGame\InfoTooltipInclude.lua"]:181: attempt to call method 'GetPolicyBuildingClassYieldModifier' (a nil value)
[1973.256] LeaderHeadRoot: Handling LeaderMessage: 0, Let us begin.
[1977.655] DiscussionDialog: Handling LeaderMessage: 16, What do you propose?
[1979.886] DiscussionDialog: Handling LeaderMessage: 16, Making such a declaration at this point in our relationship would be premature. Maybe another time.
[1987.312] DiscussionDialog: Handling LeaderMessage: 16, Let's hear your offer.
[2000.166] DiploTrade: AdvisorControl could not be found
[2000.198] DiscussionDialog: Handling LeaderMessage: 12, Your offer is generous, and I accept.
[2006.812] LeaderHeadRoot: Handling LeaderMessage: 0, Let us begin.
[2011.211] Runtime Error: [string "Assets\UI\InGame\InfoTooltipInclude.lua"]:181: attempt to call method 'GetPolicyBuildingClassYieldModifier' (a nil value)
[2014.893] Runtime Error: [string "Assets\UI\InGame\InfoTooltipInclude.lua"]:181: attempt to call method 'GetPolicyBuildingClassYieldModifier' (a nil value)
[2016.188] Runtime Error: [string "Assets\UI\InGame\InfoTooltipInclude.lua"]:181: attempt to call method 'GetPolicyBuildingClassYieldModifier' (a nil value)
[2016.359] Runtime Error: [string "Assets\UI\InGame\InfoTooltipInclude.lua"]:181: attempt to call method 'GetPolicyBuildingClassYieldModifier' (a nil value)
[2016.468] Runtime Error: [string "Assets\UI\InGame\InfoTooltipInclude.lua"]:181: attempt to call method 'GetPolicyBuildingClassYieldModifier' (a nil value)
[2016.671] Runtime Error: [string "Assets\UI\InGame\InfoTooltipInclude.lua"]:181: attempt to call method 'GetPolicyBuildingClassYieldModifier' (a nil value)
[2016.874] Runtime Error: [string "Assets\UI\InGame\InfoTooltipInclude.lua"]:181: attempt to call method 'GetPolicyBuildingClassYieldModifier' (a nil value)
[2017.061] Runtime Error: [string "Assets\UI\InGame\InfoTooltipInclude.lua"]:181: attempt to call method 'GetPolicyBuildingClassYieldModifier' (a nil value)

Top Bottom