Gotm23 Sg

If you still need more then I'd be happy to join in. Either CivIII or PTW will work for me. I did however play the whole of GOTM23 (domination win) but think that wouldn't make any difference to the way I'd play.

Smackster

As many of you know, I'm not online much on the weekends. (See my profile status.)

But since this is moving, I wanted to let you know my plan. We have enough people to start one SG on [civ3]. Everyone please download the files they need. I will be starting a thread on Monday 7AM my time (GMT-5). I think denyd will start because he was first. I will probably not play as my time is tight and we have enough with smackster and DaveShack.

See you in two days.

Oops, missed a couple of posts there.

jimmydean, you're in too.

cracker, thanks for the confirmation of the installation process.

This is what I found regarding spain. (AlanH, your everywhere;) )
Originally posted by AlanH
There was a problem with the file set for GOTM21. You need to find the /Art/Flics/spain.flc file. Make seven copies of it in the same folder, and rename them spain1.flc, spain2.flc, spain3.flc, ..... spain7.flc. Leave the original file there as well.

Do that and relaunch Civ3 and it might fix your problem.
That would give you 8 copies total. I think that the PC users are OK just installing the game packs. I installed and loaded the start file with no problems but didn't play it at all so I haven't confirmed spain diplomacy works ok.

I will edit the first post again soon and post a link to the new game thread so we can remove all this signup/installation clutter from the game thread.

denyd, if your dying to start, go ahead and play and take your notes for the first 20 turns. Save them in a text file so you can copy them to a post when I open the game thread on Monday.

Wait, hold the presses!

I just realized that with jimmydean and smackster we have enough for both [ptw] and [civ3]

I will wait until monday to see if we get even more interest. If not, I will assign smackster to the [civ3] thread, jimmydean to the [ptw] and start up with the rosters we have.

Please wait until Monday denyd.

(Sorry for my chaotic post. I shouldn't try to get on really quickly over the weekend.)

Originally posted by ControlFreak
I think that the PC users are OK just installing the game packs. I installed and loaded the start file with no problems but didn't play it at all so I haven't confirmed spain diplomacy works ok.
Have you checked that the eight files (not folders) are in place after your installation? One variant of the Spain problem (I can't remember which PC game version it affected) was that an installer seemed to have tried hard to place the files, but it succeeded in creating folders with the spain1.flc ... spain7.flc names instead of files. Just another one to watch for.

Mac users should be good to go if they just use my MacOS X gotm23 installer, as it was produced recently and I included all known fixes when I built it. I doubt if the PC gotm21 installers have been updated for known glitches since they were produced originally, though the gotm23 updaters may fix the earlier problems.

I've created a second, separate, installation of Civ on my machine for playing this game.

If any PC players are interested in how I did it then let me know and I'll post details.

Ted

I'm in the EST timezone, GMT -5

I play evenings after work and some weekends, oh and sometimes really late at night like now.

I'm all setup for GOTM 23 on [civ3], just did a little test.

Hi. I would like to join the 1.29f game, please. As I already mentioned on that thread (since I'm a newb), I am not very skilled at Civilization III, so please keep that in mind when placing me. Thanks.

Alweth@ you're in, see the [civ3] thread to catch up.

On my desk, hiding under my keyboard there is a tatty printout of a very useful resource chart for GotM 21 & later. Unfortunately the standard header & footer had been removed so I couldn't remember where it came from. :)

After a bit of head scratching and a tussle with the CFC search engine I found it again. So without more ado here it is:

The funny thing is... the original was produced by our game host ControlFreak. If you want to download the Excel version then a quick click > here < will take you to the original post.

Ted

Thanks for the Copyright addition.:)

I'm glad you found it. I don't know where I saved it.:lol:

I wondered why you hadn't posted it yourself :D

Ted

In case anyone was wondering, the asterik indicates that the value has been reduced by one due to despotism. The value would be one higher in other governments. I think I forgot that on the legend.

A small point,

but perhaps an important one: Players should refrain from following the progress on the other thread or they are going to be spoiled.

Perhaps you could add this to the start post on each thread and let players know.

Ted

Originally posted by TedJackson
A small point,

but perhaps an important one: Players should refrain from following the progress on the other thread or they are going to be spoiled.

Perhaps you could add this to the start post on each thread and let players know.

Ted
Agreed, I confess, it was me. Although spoilers are difficult to avoid in this game, given the number of us who played at least some of it last month.

But I only compared my 20 first turns with yours, honest ;). I'll not do it again, though. As the games move on the progress difference will grow, and I agree it is not in the spirit of the competition.

I'll have to confess also, I was reading the other thread to see how they we're doing.

Since I played GOTM 23 to 1000BC, I pretty much knew about where the AI was anyways and I made sure I went the opposite direction with my scouts in the beginning of the game so as not to be able to use my hut location knowledge during my turns.

I'll stop perusing their accomplishments until we get a lot farther into the game.

:beer:

I did it too :blush:

I popped in to post the link to CF's Mediterranean Resource Chart and before I realised the implications I was browsing through the thread, chuckling to myself :)

Ted

Originally posted by TedJackson
... chuckling to myself :)
Please to see we are providing some entertainment for the lurkers ;)

Top Bottom