Mongols Halloween Treat Game - Gotm25 Prequel

this is a very good idea - i really wanted to play a try-out game. :goodjob:

actually, i was just busy with fine-tuning a brief scenario with zulus as "Pseudo-mongols", starting in medieval age. i copied the russian cossack four times, renamed them, and implemented the new uu-s with the given stats, together with copied horseman, archer, swordsman in the upgrade path. :D

to play the treat game will be much more comfortable. let's see what were my efforts worth in face of an "official" test game. ;)

Thanks for the Happy Halloween, Cracker! I was really worried about my assumptions on the new units, but this solves everything. As soon as I can get home from work I will download and play Civ classic Diety.

You know...I've never gone through the trouble of downloading any mod packs or GOTM files....yes, yes, I know. Call me a traditionalist. And I've been lurking on this since site before CIV3 was out. Let me say this:

Whoever designed this really has outdone themselves. Because of this scenario/hype (heh), I'm downloading this bad boy. It looks too fun...and basically, it's an expansion pack. (get a job at Atari!)

Seriously, mad props to the people working on these things. I can only imagine how much time is spent on them...and all just for fun. I just want to say thanks.

Peace out....
P..

I'll give this a try on PTW Predator level. Thanks for the extra bonus, cracker.

A couple of suggestions if you get the ottoman_crest_all.pcx error:

1. If you follow cracker's advice and rename the arabs_all file make sure you copy the arabs_all file first. Left click on the file. When it is highlighted, right click on it and then left click on Copy. After you rename the arabs_all file then you can just paste back the original arabs_all file into the subdirectory. You will need both files in the Art\Advisors subdirectory for the game to run.

2. When you rename arabs_all, leave off the .pcx extension. Just rename it to ottoman_crest_all. The directory automatically knows it is a pcx file. If you add the pcx extension the program will not load.

This is how I got the game to run on PTW version 1.21.

Ah Cracker, once again you amaze us with your effort and brilliance. A full-size candy bar for you at my house for sure! Not one of those infuriatingly small "fun size" ones. What's fun about a one bite candy bar?

As soon as the Mac files are ready I will indulge in this treat in Open mode CivIII 1.29f(b2).

Thanks again, and happy Halloween!

The Mac files are ready. The game seems to have no hiccups. I'm playing Predator, and hope to really get into it later on today.

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. I'm gonna start on the Open Class treat, but not sure if I'll finish it between 6-2 and soon-to-be-released GOTM 25.

EDIT: Having all sorts of missing file problems in addition to the ones mentioned, but I have separate installs of [civ3] and [ptw] and either I or the installer is getting confused. I'm probably just going to reinstall the whole thing in the normal place and try again. (This is not a request for help...still trying to figure it out myself.)

[ptw] 1.27f Open

I am playing this as I write, lots of fun, lots to learn, so as to keep to the spoiler rules I will only say that I highly recommended loading this before playing GOTM25, and it doesn't really need to take all your time to get a feel for the new units. However, well, ok I'll let you find out.......back to the battle.

Folks, so far I get a load error every time, and i've even tried to reload the packs from GOTM 21 and 24 ... still nothing. I get:

missing entry in "text\pediaIcons.txt" ANIMNAME_PRTO_Pictish_warrior

anyone?

Hi psebold,

Welcome to GOTM! :)

When seeking advice for this type of problem it is usually best to PM cracker. Also it is critical to state the program version and patch level (CIV3 vs PTW, and 1.29f or 1.14f/1.21f/1.27f. Also if you happen to be on a mac, that's important too.

Also be very careful to load the mod packs corresponding to your game level, and follow all instructions carefully.

Best regards and good luck!

For the benefit of others having troubles, here is how I solved mine with PTW 1.27f (PC/US) Open Class:

First of all, follow all instructions very carefully. My mistake was carelessness in choosing the folder during the setup. Note that it says to pick the directory "civilization3.exe" is in. In my case the default wasn't right, and I had to choose the right one. (But this is my fault for trying some fancy stuff with installs earlier.) If you reinstalled or didn't play GOTM21 and GOTM24 then you have to make the right choices installing those, too.

Also, there are several files that may need to be placed by hand. See crackers post on page 1 of this thread if you get the "ottoman_crest_all.pcx" error, and note that there are 4 files in the test game save zip that the readme.txt instructs you on how to place/replace.

Making sure all of the above correctly allowed me to load the test game and see all the screens including the Civilopedia and F6.

psebold, I suspect your problem was choosing the wrong install folder or perhaps the wrong setup files for your game type (PTW vs Civ3). When I tried to reinstall my GOTM21 & GOTM24 I had to pay close attention to getting the folder right, but again I think this is because I had some goofy installs and then reinstalled.

Okay, time to play...:goodjob:

EDIT: The GOTM25 saves are available now, and the PTW zips include an updated PediaIcons.txt as cracker said they would. I presume this will work with the test game and fix the "ottoman_crest_all.pcx" error, but I haven't tested that theory yet.

cracker...

love it! I was musing that I didn't want to start gotmXXV without understanding the units and playing them and then... voila!

I am starting the on the open class (MAC) and will probably not get to gotmXXV till late next week (again open on MAC 1.29).

So far no problems, including installation... with all due respect to those who say it is too cumbersome, without the installer it takes me less then five minutes and is really quite smooth.

Thanks again.

Originally posted by Puppeteer
EDIT: The GOTM25 saves are available now, and the PTW zips include an updated PediaIcons.txt as cracker said they would. I presume this will work with the test game and fix the "ottoman_crest_all.pcx" error, but I haven't tested that theory yet.

As of Nov 15th, the the PTW zips with updated pediaIcons.txt do not solve the "ottoman_crest_all.pcx" error. The affore mentioned copy and rename fix, however, does.

Better late than never, right?

Hergrom

Top Bottom