Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Hi,

I used to love this game. Haven't played since CIV 3 play the world.

I am thinking of jumping back in.

Few questions:

Do people still play this game?

Is there an on-line game people play?

Which is the most played and content rich? Do I need to play the expansions?

I am most interested in playing against other people...

I would like to know which is the most popular one to play, and I will get that one. thank you very much!

As an appendix... I need a walk through on what patches, what are these "game of the weeks" etc. All new to me, though I used to love CIV 1,2,3.

thank you!!

I can't tell, but it seems like you're asking about Civ IV, not CivRev. In case, you are asking about CivRev, I'll answer in a forum-appropriate manner.

Do people still play this game?

Is there an on-line game people play?

Yes and yes. There are very active online communities for CivRev both on the xbox 360 and ps3.

Which is the most played and content rich? Do I need to play the expansions?

I am most interested in playing against other people...

I would like to know which is the most popular one to play, and I will get that one. thank you very much!

If you have one of the consoles, pick up the game and you'll find lots of folks to play with any hour of the day. I'm on the 360 and usually don't have to wait more than 5 minutes to start a game. You can have player matches against your buddies or just go into the ranked lobby and play random people.

As an appendix... I need a walk through on what patches, what are these "game of the weeks" etc. All new to me, though I used to love CIV 1,2,3.

CivRev does have a patch to version 1.3. You should get it automatically when you start the game. There's also some DLC but it isn't usable in ranked games (some of the maps are usable in unranked games) so you should ignore it if you like playing online.

Game of the Week is a single-player online game where you get exactly the same map and circumstances as every other player and compete for the best times (displayed on the leaderboard). Each GotW uses the same random seed so if you make the exact same moves twice, you'll get the exact same outcome.

Thank you, this is very helpful! I think I am more of a Civ 4 player than an instant action type, but I will check out the demo on my brother's ps3.

thanks!!

Hi there. A quick one: If I play BTS do I also have the enhancements of the first official expansion BtS in my games? e.g. ALL the factions, vassal state options and so on. I have both expansions installed. Thanxs.

First forum posting. Late arrival to the console verision of the game but enjoying it greatly. A few random questions: (note that my point of reference is single-player, if that makes a difference)

1) Played a game this morning where the 3 artifacts were Cleo's Needle, Knights Who Say Templar, and the Sphinx. This is the first time I can ever remember Atlantis not being one of the artifacts, so I had convinced myself that it was in every game. Anybody know the percentage of time that Atlantis is one of the artifacts? At minimum, it seems like it's a lot more likely to show than any other artifact.

2) What's the trigger for Great Generals to switch from horseback to Jeep? I thought that they upgraded with the era, because I've had GG's in a jeep leading knight armies in the modern era. Today, in the same game as #1, I had a GG on horseback leading an army of tanks, which I don't recall having before. (I tend to go for cultural wins more than domination, so I probably don't see as many GGs as a lot of other players.)

3) Ever had a wonder stuck in its scaffolding after completion? I built a Taj Mahal today, and it was never fully revealed, even after several turns. Don't think I've seen that happen with a Taj or any other wonder/building.

4) Has the formula for the ranking vs real-world leaders ever been published or reverse-engineered? It always pleases me to beat Sir Winston, but it seems like I can never get close to him unless I artificially prolong the game into the modern era, get all the tech, lots of gold, etc. If I let my last opponent live for an extra 50 years or so, I can reliably get to the top of the leaderboard by maxing out my cities, but if I kill everything more quickly, I don't get above the top 4-5 leaders. It doesn't affect my enjoyment of the game, but it's odd that the in-game leaderboard seems to value a "perfect" civilization more than a quick win, while the online leaderboards are ranked by speed of victory.

Thx!

1) Atlantis is almost always there, but occasionally it is missing both in SP and MP. I believe it's probably there more than 90% of the time, but it would be extremely boring to try to work out the actual percentage.

2) I dunno. I have the same experience as you. Sometimes things don't upgrade like they should (like once in a while you'll build Leonardo's Workshop and still have an archer somewhere while the rest become riflemen). Sometimes the guy finally gets a jeep too. There's no effect on gameplay.

3) There are lots of little graphical glitches. If you want to see your Taj Majal, you can go to the city screen and scroll down the list of buildings and it'll show each of them in your city and after that you'll see the actual wonder instead of the scaffolding.

4) To get to the top you have to be close to winning on multiple tracks. For example, if you've got 4 capitals, Space Flight, 20,000 gold and then win a culture victory, you'll get the top spot. If you win really early on with a horserush and never get out of ancient, don't accumulate much gold and only have one or two culture milestones, you'll be way down toward the bottom. It's pretty meaningless as most players would agree the quick victory is more challenging than continuing to play a game that's already won just so you can build the United Nations after getting Space Flight.

is this a whole different game or just an expansion pack

CivRev is the console installment of the Civ series. It's a different game and isn't available on the PC. You can only get it for xbox 360, ps3, Nintendo DS, iphone and ipod touch.

I wasn't able to find a reference to any questions similar to this and I'm sorry if it has already been asked, but has anyone else had issues with their Space Victory?

I was playing in a game with a friend of mine online and I was starting the construction of my ship when a single city Civ, Japan, started as well. They launched before I did, but I had larger production and ended up completing a larger ship that I launched that would still beat Japan in arriving sooner than their ship. It showed both of our ships flying off to Alpha Centuri.

I went a few turns holding off attacks from other Civs and trying to attack Japan, when I decided to check on my ship. When I looked in the Space report it showed my ship waiting to be launched. I was confused, and kind of upset, but I tried to launch the ship anyways. Even know at this time it would not arrive before Japan. It wouldn't let me launch. I figured that it was because the game saw it as me trying to launch a launched ship, but I still didn't win on the turn I should have and ended up losing to Japan's Space Victory.

I was wondering if anyone else has had issues with this and was interested in learning if it could be my game or just an error that occurred since I was playing online. I never had any similar problems on SP.

Thanks for any assistance on this.

Is it possible to change game settings, especially speed and allowed win conditions, during a game? How?

Is it possible to change game settings, especially speed and allowed win conditions, during a game? How?
Unfortunately, CivRev only offers difficulties and what civ you would like to play as, as game settings. However, the scenearios (some in vanilla, some in DLCs) offers a few differently tweaked game styles. Like only being able to persue a specific victoriy condition.

I wasn't able to find a reference to any questions similar to this and I'm sorry if it has already been asked, but has anyone else had issues with their Space Victory?

What platform are you on? Were you playing a H2H player match? It wasn't clear, but was it the Japanese AI that sent its ship up first?

Yeah, I've heard about and experienced bugs with the space victory. Sometimes players get booted from the game/frozen when the ship launches. Sometimes the ship doesn't launch. I think I've seen that one once. I'd say these problems are fairly rare, but certainly annoying when they come up. There isn't a lot you can do about it, though it shouldn't matter too much if you're in a player match because it sounds like you would've won, so just put a feather in your cap.

If you're playing for rank, then a litany of bugs and glitches can really hurt. When playing for rank, the best way to avoid bugs is to try to win the game as quickly as possible because the longer it goes on, the more likely it is some problem will occur.

My question is how do you know what is a great grassland, plains, river ,sea etc. I may send dozens units back and forth on a grassland and not get anything but then by chance my unit makes a wrong turn and I accidentally discover it. Is there any characteristics for these things? Like how many squares it's supposed to have.

And what else can you name? Can you name mountain ranges?

And my third question is this: I know the guy in the armor,general outfit is my general, the guy in the lab coast my scientist, but what about the other two women? Is one my foreign advisor and the other my domestic?

My question is how do you know what is a great grassland, plains, river ,sea etc. I may send dozens units back and forth on a grassland and not get anything but then by chance my unit makes a wrong turn and I accidentally discover it. Is there any characteristics for these things? Like how many squares it's supposed to have.

It's something you kind of get a feel for. Usually if there are like four tiles of the same type in the same general area one of them will be an exploration tile. Sometimes medium-small islands have them too without having that many of the same tile, but it'll always be on the more common tile. If there's an island with one forest and three grasslands, the forest will never be an exploration tile, but the grasslands might.

Tiles with special resources are never exploration tiles.

And what else can you name? Can you name mountain ranges?

Yeah, but you need to fly a plane over it to "discover" it.

And my third question is this: I know the guy in the armor,general outfit is my general, the guy in the lab coast my scientist, but what about the other two women? Is one my foreign advisor and the other my domestic?

One is your economic adviser and the other is cultural, so you've got one adviser for each victory condition. Most of us who have been playing for a while wish we could turn them off.

I have been playing for a quite long time actually(over a year). And the natural landmarks were always to me found by luck. Are you sure about the advisors? Cause the tall, dark one always seems to tell me about things such as "The Romans have captured the French city of Tours!" and "But sir, we have a peace treaty with the Japanese!" maybe she is both a foreign advisor and economic advisor...

The one who looks like Condi Rice comes out and tells you how many cultural milestones you still need for victory and the other one does the same for economic milestones. Maybe they babble on about other things too. I find them to be quite an annoyance. When playing online if at the start of your turn, two advisers should appear at the same time, it frequently results in a hard freeze of your system.

How many of each component are recommended for the Alpha Centauri project? More is faster? Better?

How many of each component are recommended for the Alpha Centauri project? More is faster? Better?
I have done space all of once (I have tended to go for dom mostly) ... I noticed that added components appear to add weight, increasing the time unless engines or thrusters (I forget which it is) and the right amount of fuel are added.

There is probably some formula to tell you THE optimal configuration (unless adding propulsion units and the right amount of fuel out to infinity asymptotically approaches some optimal value). I can't tell you what that is, but hopefully someone else here can.

dV

As with so many other things, all your questions can be answered by the Ultimate Tech Tree: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=8168450#post8168450. For some reason, more fuel doesn't make you any faster so four propulsion (the maximum) and one of each other components is the fastest. If you want the maximum score, build as many of each component as you can. But score doesn't really count for anything at all in this game. You can't even view your SP high score. I guess if you want to see your name above Churchill's, then build four habitation units.

Top Bottom