Why a courthouse?

Quasar1011

King of Sylvania
I was at war with Carthage, bombing their capital city, also known as Carthage. I got this message: "The courthouse of Carthage has been destroyed." Why would the AI build a courthouse in the capital city? A courthouse reduces corruption, but a capital city has none. A courthouse also reduces enemy propaganda, but a capital city can't culturally flip. So why build a courthouse in your capital? :confused:

They could have been the victim of a wonder cascade and that was all that was left for them to build. Maybe the courthouse adds culture.

Actually Capitals can have SOME corruption. just 99% of the time a Courthouse won't help much cause it's just a few sheilds or commerce points.

Though thing is the Computer probobly just built a courthouse just because it doesn't have too much thinking ability when building. It just builds stuff it's told helps and thus will many times build them where they're not needed, ie. a courthouse in a capital.

EDIT: The courthouse doesn't add culture actually.

AI builds courthouse in the capital-city just for case when human player bombards it and then useless courthouse is destroyed and , say , cathedral is safe ;)

Seriosly tho , I don't know :crazyeye:

I think Falcon02 is right. A capital can have a very small amount of corruption and thus the AI will build courthouses in the capital. Whether or not it is efficient, that is a different matter.

If you're in a communism, you'll also have corruption in the city, and the courthouse will reduce that.

A capital can culture flip, too. If it's the only city left and it's bombarded by propoganda. Not likely, but it has been reported happening before.
I've built a courthouse in my capital a time or two. When I was very far ahead, had plenty of money, and just wanted to get rid of that one red shield.

Yeah.

The waste in the Capital often goes to two red shields for me (thats b4 hospitals), and corruption many more units (in Republic).

As long as you reduce corruption by @ least 1 gold, you're not losing income, and one or two shields less waste can make a HUGE difference if it takes production to a break-point (eg: the difference between 29 shields and 30 is immense if you're building spearmen).

The Sheilds can be worth it, but normally the Gold isn't though a few times I've tried to retrieve that solitary corrupted shield with a Courthouse, to no avail.

Originally posted by wilbill
A capital can culture flip, too. If it's the only city left and it's bombarded by propoganda. Not likely, but it has been reported happening before.
I'm afraid this is not true. A capital can't flip as it has the palace.

I've never had it happen, but capital flipping under the circumstances I mentioned has been reported several times and somebody (Bamspeedy?) duplicated it experimentally.

No, it wasn't duplicated by me. I had heard rumors of it, but I could never get it to happen. I know Sirian tried it also from one of his saves and he could never get it to happen either.

I think the person/people that claim they culture flipped a capital was mistaken.

Apologies. I misremembered the thread in which you tried to duplicate it. Never really made sense to me as a way to kill off a civ, but...

If you were to build a palace in another city, then lose all other cities but the original capital, then your default capital city wouldn't have a palace and could fall to propaganda, right?
Or do you automatically get a palace when your former capital falls?
I know it's a lot of "what-ifs," but all this talk about flipping capitals made me wonder.

Actually, yes, you do get an automatic capital building in that city.

The palace IS the capital. If the capital is taken, then the 'palace' jumps to another city. You can repeatedly build the palace, but the Forbidden palace can only be built once.

If a city has the forbidden palace (that is possible to culture flip) ends up also being the palace/capital, I'm not sure what happens then (it can't flip, but not sure if you get to build a FP after that, since you already did build it once). :confused:

Originally posted by Bamspeedy
The palace IS the capital. If the capital is taken, then the 'palace' jumps to another city. You can repeatedly build the palace, but the Forbidden palace can only be built once.

If a city has the forbidden palace (that is possible to culture flip) ends up also being the palace/capital, I'm not sure what happens then (it can't flip, but not sure if you get to build a FP after that, since you already did build it once). :confused:

I accidentally lost my FP once to invading armies, and I was able to rebuild it. annoyed the heck out of me cause it had JUST finished when It was taken.

Top Bottom