Need help finding the city graphics

Mezzzzz

Chieftain
Hello y'all,

I'd like to create an improvement using the japanese city style but I can't find the artdefines file where it might be contained :confused:
I literally opened all the artdefines files contained in my civ5 folder and checked them one by one with no success :mad:
Would anyone know where to find such data? The closest find I've got right now is the Himeji castle "tile" but it'd not be "historically" correct...

Thanks for the feedback !

Mez.

Moderator Action: Moved to main C&C forum as that is where questions are posted. Thanks.

Unfortunately, city styles aren't set by art defines.

I don't know if it'd work, but it's worth a try; you can try creating a new art define referring to the models:
  • asia_anc_city.fxsxml
  • asia_ren_city.fxsxml
  • asia_ind_city.fxsxml
  • asia_mod_city.fxsxml

yeah, city and building art have always been a vexacious issue for mod-makers, though I remember there was a city art mod of some kind on the steam workshop, but I can't remember the name of the mod.

@Nutty : Thank you for this precious information! at some point I though I skipped a file and should look again.
I will try to create a new artdefines and post the result of my findings here whatever way it ends.
However, i could not find the .fxsxml files you mentioned in any civ5 folder. How did you get them?

@LeeS : Thanks for the hint, I'll dig in steam workshop and post the results here as well.

Mez.

The way that author of the workshop mod does it, IIRC, is by adding an improvement on top of the city graphics. Certainly, this is how FramedArchitect makes his ocean cities look different, and how I make my Fort Colonies look different.

Mezzzzz: The models are contained within FPK files in the game's installation folder. You do not need to extract them, however, to make the reference.

If you want to extract them anyway, you can use the script in Nexus (part of the SDK) to extract all files into the resource folder, or you can download Dragon UnPACKer, and peruse the contents and extract only what you need.

Models are made up of 4 files typically: a .gr2 3D model, two .dds textures, and an .fxsxml file, which is just some XML that ties the model to the game and various other files that assign animations and effects.

Hi there,

Before you read, please note this post does not bring a solution but, for what it's worth, it may make you save some time and eventually make you find your own solution by preventing you to go through the same process I did.

So, I created a landmark.sql file, based on the one provided by Ekmek in his improvement template, calling out the city graphics, "asian_ren_city.fxsxml" in my case. Didn't work.
Then, I used Dragon UnPACKer to extract the files called out in "asian_ren_city.fxsxml" from .fpk files and set them with proper attributes (vfs : true, Reload Landmark System: Checked). Didn't work either.

You may find city graphics in : "CityModels.fpk" and "CityTextures.fpk" @ Sid Meier's Civilization V/Resource

Top Bottom