Steam Client Update = ModBrowser Hash

LeeS

Imperator
Title pretty much says it all. Boyo what a confusing mess they made of the mod browsing system. And you have to scroll waaaaaay down to get to the button where you can see a view like what we've all become accustomed to: and then it defaults back every time (so far) you start Steam to showing you those thumbnails in the "Most Popular (Last Three Months)" view. Which really erodes the visibility of newer mods unless you switch to "(Last Week)" or "(Most Recent)".

IMO == just yuck!

Haven't they already implemented those changes once - a few months ago? I think they did, and then reverted back to the usual browsing system shortly there after.
But I completely agree. It's a very unfortunate design.

Is anyone else not getting comment notifications? I was surprised to go into a recent release and see new comments, when I never got the little green number on top to tell me there were new comments.

Is anyone else not getting comment notifications? I was surprised to go into a recent release and see new comments, when I never got the little green number on top to tell me there were new comments.
Nothing that I have noticed with regard to this most recent release. But this had been going on for me for some time on my older mods. Previous to a steam client update sometime last fall (I think) it didn't seem to matter how old the mod was -- after that steam client update only the newer mods (and newer seemed a target hard to deduce the definition of) would send a comment notification to me (ie, the little green "message" envelope thingie).

It is working for me at the moment, so far as the 'newer' mods go. Or at least it seems to be. But I had noticed also before this latest update (and the one that followed a day or so later) that I would occasionally miss a comment. In those cases I just ascribed it to carelessness on my part re the alert system and not looking through all the alerted discussions. But perhaps I never was getting alerts consistently all the time.

Gee, thx, calcul8or, now you've made me paranoid about it :)

I don't get notification for at least one of my mods (and of course it's the only mod I'm working on currently)

Those of you not getting notifications, do you regularly restart Steam, or does it stay open for long periods of time?

I only have a handful of mods up (and only one Civ) but it's half a year old, and I still get notifications for comments on them. The exception is if I was not the original uploader! If someone merely lists me as a contributor, I will show up on the page as an author, but Steam will not notify me of comments or anything.

Finally, the few instances where I didn't get notifications was largely because at some point Steam decided it was loaded for too long and some sort of invisible error causes that green envelope button to not update until I restart Steam.

To the OP, I don't really browse the Workshop, so I'm afraid I have no idea if anything actually changed.

I generally do not leave steam open. I leave it set to 'online mode' as a general rule, but I have it closed out. This allows steam-friends to wiggle my elbow drop a chat-note.

I will only set steam to offline mode if I start getting the "Connection Failed" errors -- in this case it is easiest to restart steam in 'offline mode' so that for example starting up the SDK doesn't hang and do nothing while it tries to synch up steam for a connection that is currently no-good. I will just every hour or so see if a good connection can be had, and if so, will leave steam back in 'online but closed-out' mode.

I don't mean Steam Friends being connected or whatnot; I mean more of leaving the entire Steam application loaded (meaning, how often do you actually Exit Steam entirely?)

Top Bottom