Main Download Information

Couple of questions.

In the Arctic buildings mod I notice that the igloo can be built a minimum of 60 deg. Does this scale depending on the climate? i ask because i'm currently playing on a cold climate and I notice that most of the land after 60 degrees is ice (ie impassible) whereas there is lots of tundra before 60 degrees. There is roughly a 2 square 'band' where igloos can be built..... while the tundra extends 7-8 squares further.

Does the AI know how to use the fixed borders? If not then i can see that this will put the human player at a huge advantage over the AI even in times of peace. Also where can i see ingame which civic fix the borders?

Couple of questions.

In the Arctic buildings mod I notice that the igloo can be built a minimum of 60 deg. Does this scale depending on the climate? i ask because i'm currently playing on a cold climate and I notice that most of the land after 60 degrees is ice (ie impassible) whereas there is lots of tundra before 60 degrees. There is roughly a 2 square 'band' where igloos can be built..... while the tundra extends 7-8 squares further.

Does the AI know how to use the fixed borders? If not then i can see that this will put the human player at a huge advantage over the AI even in times of peace. Also where can i see ingame which civic fix the borders?

All good questions.

1.) Latitude does not always scale well, I know. I tried to pick a latitude that would always be tundra, but in some maps, it is still plains, and others, like yours, it is ice. The arctic buildings are meant to only help civilizations stuck in the ice not get left behind, so it's no big deal if no one ever has to build them.

2.) Yes, the AI does know how to use Fixed Borders. They account for Fixed borders in their civic choices and unit choices. The logic for units isn't perfect, but basically, the AI will claim tiles when it is considering to pillage. It isn't often, but claiming land isn't always the best action anyway. For a quick demonstration, put some enemy troops in your improved land and edit the units in the world-builder so that they are UNITAI_PILLAGE and several of them will claim your land.

3.)In the civilopedia, look in the tab labeled "A New Dawn Concepts". There is a section devoted to Fixed Borders, and it has a list of civics that cause fixed borders. For the next release, I will also expose it to the civic screen as well. ;)

All good questions.

1.) Latitude does not always scale well, I know. I tried to pick a latitude that would always be tundra, but in some maps, it is still plains, and others, like yours, it is ice. The arctic buildings are meant to only help civilizations stuck in the ice not get left behind, so it's no big deal if no one ever has to build them.

2.) Yes, the AI does know how to use Fixed Borders. They account for Fixed borders in their civic choices and unit choices. The logic for units isn't perfect, but basically, the AI will claim tiles when it is considering to pillage. It isn't often, but claiming land isn't always the best action anyway. For a quick demonstration, put some enemy troops in your improved land and edit the units in the world-builder so that they are UNITAI_PILLAGE and several of them will claim your land.

3.)In the civilopedia, look in the tab labeled "A New Dawn Concepts". There is a section devoted to Fixed Borders, and it has a list of civics that cause fixed borders. For the next release, I will also expose it to the civic screen as well. ;)

Brilliant.... I was hoping that the AI would atleast know how to claim some land.

With regards to the Arctic buildings I really like the general idea as i always play with random climate/sea level and have found myself in the middle of a massive wasteland of tundra many times (trapped in this wasteland a few times also by ice :sad:) Usually the onlyway to even be a competitor in those situations is to expand out of it very quickly and that has a detrimental effect on your economy very early, so any unique biuildings to related to that situation aleviating those problems slightly is great. Is it possible to tie it into the terrain type? ie: cities built on snow/tundra can build them.

Im loving the mod so far by the way, there are now some very interesting choices to be made at every stage of the game... I was a little worried that the extras would make things a little overpowered but you've done a great job at balancing things out by giving the player lots of 'tradeoff' choices......... brilliant :)

Is it possible to tie it into the terrain type? ie: cities built on snow/tundra can build them.

When I made them, initially I couldn't, but I added that feature in the 1.5 series, and Arctic buildings was made a long time ago. I'll update it to make it that way. That's a better choice than latitude.

I'm glad you like it. I've done my best to make it a worthy addition to RoM.

When I made them, initially I couldn't, but I added that feature in the 1.5 series, and Arctic buildings was made a long time ago. I'll update it to make it that way. That's a better choice than latitude.

I'm glad you like it. I've done my best to make it a worthy addition to RoM.

Great, so we can expect to see that in an upcoming realease?!

I've been away from ROM for a while, last version I played was 2.71 and i'm very keen to see the tranhuman era.

But I really am liking the early stages of the game, the extra buldings and units add some great choices and I think that the balanced/extra civics make for some honestly tough choices. There are now so many combinations of them that you can really tailor to your civ style or situation. Thats primarily down to AND.

One thing I hinted to Zap for while was an early defence buster unit ( I suggested a battering ram like from wolfshanze mod, it was a very early unit that could only reduce defence and not cause collateral. It upgraded later to a capped ram with copper and just increased the ammount of defence reduction) ...... Now with even better defence and defenders I think it's even more vital now though.

Looking forward to those updates :beer:

Great, so we can expect to see that in an upcoming realease?!

I've been away from ROM for a while, last version I played was 2.71 and i'm very keen to see the tranhuman era.

But I really am liking the early stages of the game, the extra buldings and units add some great choices and I think that the balanced/extra civics make for some honestly tough choices. There are now so many combinations of them that you can really tailor to your civ style or situation. Thats primarily down to AND.

One thing I hinted to Zap for while was an early defence buster unit ( I suggested a battering ram like from wolfshanze mod, it was a very early unit that could only reduce defence and not cause collateral. It upgraded later to a capped ram with copper and just increased the ammount of defence reduction) ...... Now with even better defence and defenders I think it's even more vital now though.

Looking forward to those updates :beer:

Yes, the changes to the arctic buildings will be in the patch that I release this evening.

I agree, RoM does need a defense buster unit, I always hoped that someone would make the artwork for a some early ballista's. Artwork for units is so hard to find, which is why I haven't added many.

Good News:

I've got a 1.53 to 1.54 patch on the OP. Make sure you grab it.

BugFixes in the Patch:
  • Dexy has found the bug was causing rare CTD's with Fixed Borders. It has been fixed.
  • I've fixed the bug with the no-name civilizations spawning and causing CTD's
  • Arctic buildings have been tweaked, they no longer require such high latitudes, but now require ice or tundra terrain in the city radius.
  • Religious Victories were not correctly working, players who had met the requirements for victory would still not win. This has been corrected.

And as always, make sure you install the main 1.53 pack before applying the patch. Errors will occur otherwise.

Bad News:

The patch is NOT save game compatible. Make sure you finish any games in progress before patching.

Got this after trying to access this: (In the d/l area?)

After downloading the expansion pack, ensure that you get the 1.53->1.54 patch. then this:???

Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

BUT it worked in the patches area of post # 1.

Good News:

I've got a 1.53 to 1.54 patch on the OP. Make sure you grab it.

BugFixes in the Patch:
  • Dexy has found the bug was causing rare CTD's with Fixed Borders. It has been fixed.
  • I've fixed the bug with the no-name civilizations spawning and causing CTD's
  • Arctic buildings have been tweaked, they no longer require such high latitudes, but now require ice or tundra terrain in the city radius.
  • Religious Victories were not correctly working, players who had met the requirements for victory would still not win. This has been corrected.

And as always, make sure you install the main 1.53 pack before applying the patch. Errors will occur otherwise.

Bad News:

The patch is NOT save game compatible. Make sure you finish any games in progress before patching.

Great stuff :)

This looks amazing, Afforess! I'll have to try it out :)

I too love your "A New Dawn" mod, Afforess! As much as I like the storms in RoM, I used your mod to remove them. I have included most all of the other features of your mod, too. I also like Mountains, Back to Service; Buildings, Inc.; the Meteorology Techs; and especially, Larger Cities.

Leaving out storms seems to have improved the speed of the AI turns unbelievably. Incidentally, I also went from a Huge map to a Large map and shortened the duration of the game, which may have altered the length of the AI turns. I will experiment some more to make sure that leaving out storms really had such a dramatic impact. However, I am very pleased to now only wait 10 seconds on the AI rather than over 2 minutes.

I'm trying Mastery Victory in my current game and look forward to trying Fixed Borders in the future.

Thanks again!

I agree, RoM does need a defense buster unit, I always hoped that someone would make the artwork for a some early ballista's. Artwork for units is so hard to find, which is why I haven't added many.

Why not a battering ram? There're graphics for them, and they would be historically accurate.

Why not a battering ram? There're graphics for them, and they would be historically accurate.

:raise hand:

I already modded AAranda's battering ram to be available with Masonry and Wheel. You can find it with Dancing Hoskuld's modpack that he tweaked and made to work with 2.8 version of RoM.

:raise hand:

I already modded AAranda's battering ram to be available with Masonry and Wheel. You can find it with Dancing Hoskuld's modpack that he tweaked and made to work with 2.8 version of RoM.

Oooh great, looks I may get my wish after all :D

hi guys i have a problem trying to install the 1.53 version, it comes up with 'fatal error: bad end of central directory record' when i click on the installer. I am trying to add it too the mega 2.81 version, however I may have to rewind and so the non mega version as i don't think my computer will cope.

Any help appreciated

hi guys i have a problem trying to install the 1.53 version, it comes up with 'fatal error: bad end of central directory record' when i click on the installer. I am trying to add it too the mega 2.81 version, however I may have to rewind and so the non mega version as i don't think my computer will cope.

Any help appreciated

The error occured because your download was corrupted. Please delete the file and re-download, and ensure that you get all 77mb of it.

Top Bottom