[BTS] Ethnically Diverse Units v3.0

I hate to throw in a shamefull plug like this, but if you guys really want modern unit diversity, just try out Modern Warfare. A BtS version is in the works, and it'll include many of the great units here.

I love the ethnically diverse units, and I don't see any reason why it shouldn't expand into the modern age as well.
Not trying to be a smartass but here are the reasons:

1) Crazy amount of work - I'm already finding it hard to get any decent amount of free time to work on EDU and there are still many more other civ related stuff I'd like to do. Including some stuff that I promised, and have yet to deliver. :blush:

2) Despite the fact that some people do in fact have knowledge of modern warfare technology and can tell an American tank from a British one, that's not the majority of people. Plus there's the fact that these are just machines - at the end of the day it's much less of a bother if the Spanish use T-34 than if the Russians use a Spanish looking explorer unit. ;)

3) There's a limited number of art styles available - there is not eastern and western European styles, there's just European. Now, of course theoretically you could create such styles but then they would have to be identical until the modern era, which is a lot of units to do with two styles that are actually one style. That's not to mention the many other similar cases across other styles. So again, it comes down to #1 - crazy amount of work. :)

4) Finally, it is beyond the scope of this mod - my idea was always to more or less limit this to "human" units and more ancient and medieval ones, rather than modern or even the renaissance. The original EDU (vanilla/warlords version) had some modern units because there were several very good ones and I wanted to include them but in this version I still haven't decided if I want to do that. And again, part of the reason is that I just don't know of how I can do it efficiently without having to create 20 new styles or coming back to essentially a UU-like system.

Anyhoo, there are a few other mods that combine my mod with more units, whether it be more units in general, or in some cases with emphasis on more modern units.

I hate to throw in a shamefull plug like this, but if you guys really want modern unit diversity, just try out Modern Warfare. A BtS version is in the works, and it'll include many of the great units here.
Shame on you smitty! :D

Actually this is a great mod that does exactly what a lot of people are missing from EDU - modern units.

My mod is always going to have a limited scope and I'm glad there are other modders out there that are being more bold with adding units. In fact, I probably should start mentioning some of these mods in the OP.

You should expand into the ren. Its only musketmen. Riflemen would be nice too but beyond that nah.
I do think it would be interesting to experiment with some musketmen, as well cannons, and maybe even grenadiers. But that kinda thing is still some ways off so I'm not even really thinking about it yet. :)

It's a Spitfire. Its wing profile is unique. It's as far away from generic as you can get.

For a generic WW2 look, try the P-40.

That is what I thought.. Generic they say, hah! Though it was used by quite a few countries even after WWII wasn't it? I think I read somewhere Egypt picked up a few after..

That is what I thought.. Generic they say, hah! Though it was used by quite a few countries even after WWII wasn't it? I think I read somewhere Egypt picked up a few after..

Yeah, those countries who couldn't afford or didn't have the technological knowledge to go with jet fighters. ;)

Egypt did have some. Israel too. Which led to Spitfire fighting Spitfire during the Six Day War.

I think I read somewhere this was the last war in which Spitfires were used. They were 25 years old by then.

Btw, does anyone know if the proper unit xml files and some extra unit files in module format can be in the same mod and both be loaded? Or are only the proper xml files loaded?

Will some be taken from previous versions of EDU? Like that famaos Axeman of yours?
Yeah, the axeman is in, as well as the archer and the horse archer, from previous EDU. Other units will also be used but I'll be probably changing them somewhat as I don't like the fact that the warrior, the spearman and the settler, are all pretty much using the same model.

I think I may have to reverse engineer this to get it into my Civ4?!?!

I'm trying to figure out how you do this with the new BtS multi-ethnic style units myself.

There's so much good stuff on this forum, I can't settle on any ONE mod, so I'm going mod-happy on my own, taking the best units I find around here, combined with some of the better mods (gotta love that Modern Units mod) and combining them all together into my own personal mod.

Got some of that good stuff from the Modern Units, got some Hitler Leader mixed-in, some of those 1800s ships, a Galleas or two, some nice Immortals, a Highlander here and there, and now I want some "Norman-style" Euro Swordsman.

The Mod I'm doing for myself is quite a hodge-podge of the excellent work I'm finding here. Just need to figure out how to change-out one portion of the ethnic mix.

Top Bottom