Steam sale .. I own NO civ 5 products. What do I buy?

BilldaCat

Chieftain
I browse from time to time.. now the general consensus seems to be with the Gods & Kings release, the game is worth buying. Ok. Steam is having a sale. Even better!

Civ V is now 14.99.
Gods & Kings is 26.99.

so I'm looking at ~$42 if I go that route.

But instead of Civ V for 14.99, they also have the Civ Collection.. which, while it includes a lot of Civ IV stuff I don't need since I already have, a ton of the Civ and Scenario Packs for Civ V. This package would set me back 39.99, PLUS I would still need to buy Gods & Kings.

I guess my question is: is that DLC worth the extra $? Is 'vanilla' Civ V + G&K enough to get started? Or am I going to want to buy those extra civs/scenarios later?

Look at me, thinking I was so smart by not buying the game immediately for $50 or whatever, and I'm still potentially spending $66 for Civ V bundle + G&K.

Don't get the collection if you're not interested in Civ IV. Get the Civ V Game of the Year (on sale at $25) which includes all of the vanilla DLC except the very last two (Korea & Wonders). Most of the DLC civs are very good, and they're all usable and updated for G&K.

I like the deal that forty2j suggests. I think the DLC are worthwhile. I think the whole Civ experience is improved when there is a larger mix of opponents. I also like the selection of UA's and UB's. However, Civ 5 plus G+K is still a goodly amount of Civs to play with. The best suggestion I have is get as much as you can as cheap as you can.

But what do I know about considered reasonable decisions? I pre-ordered everything first chance I got. :crazyeye:

You want to buy the GOTY Edition (20€-25$) + the DLC Pack Korea & Wonders of the Ancient World (2ish €/$) and then also the G&Ks Expansion (=everything there currently is for CiV).

Note that G&Ks is very expensive on steam... there might be a reseller (that eventually offers a digital download) for much less. In Germany /I just bought G&Ks for 17,90€ (Steam 30€) and on amazon.co.uk it's only 13 pounds - don't know if there is any cheap us reseller, but it's definitely worth looking for one.

Don't buy anything unless it's on a "flash sale". Even daily sales can sometimes be improved upon.

Anything Civ related that is currently on sale will still be on sale on the 23rd. So wait until then to buy it, just in case.

You want to buy the GOTY Edition (20€-25$) + the DLC Pack Korea & Wonders of the Ancient World (2ish €/$) and then also the G&Ks Expansion (=everything there currently is for CiV).

Note that G&Ks is very expensive on steam... there might be a reseller (that eventually offers a digital download) for much less. In Germany /I just bought G&Ks for 17,90€ (Steam 30€) and on amazon.co.uk it's only 13 pounds - don't know if there is any cheap us reseller, but it's definitely worth looking for one.

This. And it was before it even officially came out in Europe. There was a 16,90 Euro deal, at an online store. It's definitely worth searching around on the net for good deals.

Got it, I'll wait for the 23rd, I'm in no rush. Thanks for the tips, much appreciated!

Yep Rule nr1 on steam sales is to wait until the last day to buy anything, unless it comes as daily deal or this year a flash deal too.

Some datamined info suggests that there will atleast be a civilization pack this year which includes all sid meires civs and addonds and dlc, except the G&K

The Civ pack on Steam is currently in the flash sale. You have eight hours in which to buy whatever DLC you don't already have.

Be aware of a couple of things:

1. Gods & Kings IS on flash sale, but it isn't included in the bundle. It's at 25% off at the moment - better than the 10% off from earlier in the sale and I doubt it will dip much cheaper, given how new it is.

2. Buy the bundles rather than the individual DLC because it works out cheaper - get Denmark and explorers, Korea and wonders, etc.

Top Bottom