Merged Animation Units

Gagonite

Irishman
Hey guys, I've been recently getting into re-skinning Units.. and I've also figured out how to do some merging of animations. I'm currently working on various units (mostly ranged ones) that have a different melee animation than their regular ranged counterparts.

Here's the first one completed:

A Welsh Longbowman, also known as a Saethwyr for those familiar with the Britannia campaign from Medieval 2: Total war: Kingdoms. Since the Welsh are big on Spears and Longbows, I decided to make a flavor/unique unit based off the idea. I used the Gaelic Warrior skin, the longbow skeleton, and the European spearman spear and shield, and made this:

Now, during ranged combat they use the basic Longbowman animations. However, instead of using that stupid staff attack in melee combat, I gave them a Holkan-style melee animation using their new spear and shield. It works quite well:

It adds a nice flavor to the unit in my opinion. So, what do you guys think? I also plan on making more like this, and one is already half way done. Its a Landsknecht skin on a French Musketeer's body, using an Explorer's sword and the Light Swordsman animation. Should be done soon.

Also, the link to the Longbowman:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=11871

EDIT: The Landsknecht Arquebusier is finished, look at post #17.

Very neat. It would be great to see some horses rigged up in this way. A cuirassier fighting with a sword for melee and shooting at range, for instance.

Very neat. It would be great to see some horses rigged up in this way. A cuirassier fighting with a sword for melee and shooting at range, for instance.

I could try and rig that up, though its more complicated with the horses included. Probably could get the Cuirassier and Conquistador together. Once I finish my Landsknecht I'll give it a shot.

I could try and rig that up, though its more complicated with the horses included. Probably could get the Cuirassier and Conquistador together. Once I finish my Landsknecht I'll give it a shot.

That would great, essencially a Dragoon.

I may have to hit you up for a tutorial. I have been attempting to Rig one of the pirates from FFH to shot a small pistol on ranged, and use a cutlass in melee, be it unsuccessfully.

Unit looks real good. Keep up the good work.

Yea its a bit complicated and has to do with adding things in the .kf files you want to use. It took me the better part of yesterday to just figure it out, and still a couple of hours just to get the Longbowman's weapons to display correctly on each of the animations. Getting the animations in there, without worrying about the weapons, just requires the KFM Konverter, unless the .kf files in the animations are pointing to the wrong skeletons. For example, on the Landsknecht I'm working on, the Musketeer skeleton is named Bip01, while the Light Swordsman animations are pointing to a BIP skeleton and associated body parts. I had to rename them in the LSwordsman .kf files, then I was able to actually get the animation to work with the musketeer. All I need to do now is make it so his sword shows up during the melee animation and have his gun move to his back during the melee.

I'll see if I can post a real tutorial in the coming weeks, I'm going to be bogged down with college work today and for the next few days.. :(

Pillage the dragoon from Colonization- he has a sword and pistol, and fires with the pistol at range and slashes with the sword up close.

Pillage the dragoon from Colonization- he has a sword and pistol, and fires with the pistol at range and slashes with the sword up close.

I don't have Colonization sadly :( If someone could get me the files though, I could do that.

this looks really cool.
a tutorial about how to work with the visibility of the weapons would be really cool as well.

cheers.

Hey guys, got the Landsknecht Arquebusier finished. Looks pretty good too, here's an idle screeny:

Careful of that 3rd guy, I think he's contagious..

And an action shot in melee:

Even though I gave him 12 Strength in my little test mod, that Samurai isn't going down without a fight..

Here's a link to the download:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=11879

I'm probably going to work on that Tutorial now. Theres a request for a modern-worker unit with a shooting animation.. should be simple enough to do, and use as an example.

Wow, that Landsknecht goes with a sword too? :woohoo:

About that modern worker, I thought there already was a modern worker with the marine animation in the database? There's even a scientist with an ak 47 in the database.

Is there? A worker that uses the worker animations, but has a marine shooting animation? I'll look around.. didn't know that.

There is, but he no longer uses worker animations- and the requester wants him to fire in defense and actually do work.
As for the Scientist, its a FAMAS Assault Rifle.
They're both by GarrettSidzaka, so check his profile.

Top Bottom