Aussie Prime Minister calls leadership vote

Babbler

Deity
Australia's PM Rudd calls leadership vote

By ROD McGUIRK (AP) – 1 hour ago

CANBERRA, Australia — A surprise revolt forced Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd on Wednesday to call a party leadership vote that he will struggle to win — just months away from national elections. It marks a dramatic reversal in fortunes for the wonkish premier and could give the country its first woman leader.

Rudd had ridden high in opinion polls as one of the most popular Australian prime ministers of modern times until he made major policy backflips including a decision in April to shelve plans to make Australia's worst polluters pay for their carbon gas emissions.

A leadership change is unlikely to alter Australia's key policy positions, such as its troop commitment to Afghanistan.

However it will determine who heads the ruling Labor Party in elections expected late this year. Despite Australia's weathering the global downturn, recent polling puts his center-left government neck-and-neck with the conservative opposition. One poll earlier this month showed Labor trailing the opposition for the first time in more than four years.

Rudd called a late-night news conference to announce Thursday's vote of Labor lawmakers after Deputy Prime Minister Julia Gillard said she would challenge him for the leadership.

She had been approached by key factional power brokers in the party who told her that they had abandoned Rudd to support her, Australian Associated Press and Nine Network television reported, without citing sources.

Their support is important and would weigh in Gilliard's favor, but it remains unclear how individual lawmakers will vote.

Rudd is due to fly to a summit of Group of 20 major economies in Canada hours after the ballot. It is unclear who will represent Australia if he loses.

Rudd said he was confident of victory and railed against the factional power brokers whom he said had plotted against him for weeks amid the government's setbacks in the opinion polls.

"We've gone into some heavy weather of late, and a few people have become a little squeamish at that," he told reporters.

"I am not for getting squeamish about those things; I am for continuing the business of reform and providing strong, proper government for the people of Australia," he said.

Gillard confirmed she would run against Rudd in the leadership vote but said little else on the subject.

While Australia's military contribution in Afghanistan is a sensitive topic here — underscored by the deaths of five Australian troops in recent weeks — the deployment has cross-party support and is not considered an issue on which Rudd's leadership hangs.

Rudd, 52, a Mandarin-speaking former diplomat to China and son of a dairy farmer, came to power in 2007 after a landslide election victory against a coalition government that had ruled for 11 years. He promised to reinvigorate Australia's role in the United Nations and global politics.

But his political standing took a hit when he backtracked on a promise to introduce an emissions trading scheme in which major polluters would paid for and trade permits to emit a ton of carbon. That has left supporters wondering what he stands for. Opinion polls have shown the government's support bleeding to a minor party, the Australian Greens.

The popularity of Gillard has endured despite the government's declining ratings. The 48-year old former lawyer is most closely associated with key domestic issues such education reform and fair pay for workers. Her profile was boosted by overturning the previous government's employer-friendly industrial laws.

Welsh-born Gilliard, with her broad Australian accent, is viewed as among the most effective communicators of government policy, while Rudd is ridiculed for his embrace of bureaucratic jargon and has been branded a "toxic bore" by the opposition.

Both Rudd and Gilliard were first elected to Parliament in 1998. They formed an alliance in 2006 to oust the then-Labor Party and opposition leader Kim Beazley, who is now Australian ambassador to Washington. Within a year, the party won a general election, and Rudd became prime minister and Gillard his deputy.

Copyright © 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Wow, that sounds like a painful slide into disgrace. What do you Aussies think of this?

It reminds this Canadian of what happened here in 1993. Lyin' Brian Mulroney resigned shortly before an election, and as a result of the leadership convention, we ended up (briefly) with Kim Campbell, our first (and so far only) female Prime Minister.

I don't how good a PM she would have been, as all her time was taken up by campaigning. And the voters were so angry at the Tories, that party was utterly decimated... down to TWO seats. My dad joked that they had finally achieved what no other Canadian political party had ever done - gender parity, at one man and one woman.

It's unfortunate that much of the campaign that Kim Campbell was involved in was focused on nonsense like her wardrobe and hair, and that she danced at some of the campaign events. As she was a former Justice Minister, I really wish the Tories themselves had taken her more seriously.

So good luck to the Australian lady, and please don't allow the campaign to degenerate into sexist nonsense.

First female Prime Minister in Australia, don't you mean? Technically speaking, your "leader" has been female since 1952 :)

A lot of the declining polls have been about Rudd personally. We'll see how it pans out from here.

I don't really care who leads the Labor Party as long as friggin Abbott doesn't become PM. What a disgusting notion that is.

Rudd can't communicate, lacks focus and has made some humiliating back-flips. That said, it hasn't been an unsuccessful term in office for the government... it's just giving the impression of being one something which in large part is the result of the the Prime Minister. That he's fallen to his own party with such a lame duck of an opposition leader is kinda telling...

Babbler said:
So good luck to the Australian lady, and please don't allow the campaign to degenerate into sexist nonsense.

It probably won't. We'll have to see.

Arwon said:
I don't really care who leads the Labor Party as long as friggin Abbott doesn't become PM. What a disgusting notion that is.

Turnbull will hopefully challenge ala' Rudd when it becomes obvious that Abbott has to many skeletons in the closet.

I have a suspicion that like Helen Clark Kim Beazly would have been more effective as PM than as leader of the opposition.
Damn, the Fed. Aussie Labor party has made some cock ups in it's choice of leaders.

@Masada:
*ahem* I said that, not Babbler.

When I left home, Kevin Rudd still looked like a 5-6 year PM. What happened?

Personally, I prefer Rudd, simply because Gillard has been astoundingly bad as Education Minister. Whether or not that is Rudd's influence or not, I don't know though. I get the impression she was her own woman in that job.

Interesting fact if she wins this though:

My Governor-General: Female
My PM: Female
My Governor: Female
My Premier: Female
My Federal Local Member: Female
My Mayor: Female

Yay for women in politics, I guess.

Abbott [...] PM

*Shudder*

Turnbull will hopefully challenge ala' Rudd when it becomes obvious that Abbott has to many skeletons in the closet.

I don't know if I'd prefer that and a likely Coalition victory, or risking Abbott to decrease the Libs chances.

Eh, Greens polling numbers are on the increase, I hear, but Australia is much too conservative for that, anyway. I don't understand why people think the Greens would be a worse option, even if they would not be drastically better. At least they would be different.

But maybe I'm being too cynical. After all, it wasn't too long ago that I thought Rudd was a good PM (and I still don't think he is awful), and that at least the alternative, Turnbull, was not a worst case scenario.

RUDD RESIGNS
http://www.smh.com.au/national/gillard--to-become-australias-first-female-prime-minister-as-rudd-stands-aside-20100624-yzvw.html?autostart=1
Julia Gillard is to become Australia's first female prime minister after Kevin Rudd stood down as Labor leader at a caucus meeting this morning, according to caucus sources.

Ms Gillard, not Mr Rudd, will now decide when to lead her party into the next election.

It is understood Mr Rudd stood aside to avoid a humiliating defeat.

Just a year ago, Mr Rudd rivalled Bob Hawke as Australia's most popular leader. But he now joins Mr Hawke as the only other Labor prime minister dumped by his party.

Mr Rudd had decided to fight to the death after refusing to step aside last night for Ms Gillard.

Ms Gillard, however, was believed to have to the numbers before going into this morning's ballot, which was not held. She also had the backing of the powerful Australian Workers Union.

A series of policy failures, poor polls and the decision to go to war with the mining industry have all contributed to Mr Rudd's plunging fortunes among his colleagues.

The Coalition fears a change to Ms Gillard. Although she bears responsibility for many of the government's poor decisions, including shelving the emissions trading scheme and the school buildings program, she would be harder to beat than Mr Rudd.

The push to oust Mr Rudd was driven by the Right faction in Victoria and South Australia.

The entire national Right, including the NSW Right and its kingmaker Mark Arbib, had last night swung behind Ms Gillard, as had the Victorian Left, led by Kim Carr, who installed Mr Rudd.

The hard Left was left doing the numbers for Mr Rudd.

After a three-hour crisis meeting in his office last night with Ms Gillard and the veteran fixer John Faulkner, Mr Rudd held a media conference and said he would fight.

"I was elected by the people of Australia as the Prime Minister of Australia," he said.

"I was elected to do a job and I intend doing that job."

But he had acknowledged that he was abandoned by most of the factional powerbrokers.

Mr Rudd had attempted to salvage votes by promising to bring a speedy conclusion to the mining tax saga and initiate a timetable to implement an emissions trading scheme.

After being pressured to take a hard line against asylum seekers, he baulked, saying he would not engage in a race to the right.

The push to oust Mr Rudd was led by the Victorian senator David Feeney, the Victorian MP Bill Shorten, and the South Australian senator Don Farrell, all right-wing heavyweights.

Sources said they met Ms Gillard yesterday afternoon in an attempt to persuade her to stand.

She was reluctant.

But the Agriculture Minister, Tony Burke, and Senator Arbib met Ms Gillard separately to urge her to move.

Senator Arbib and Ms Gillard were instrumental in forcing the government to abandon the emissions trading scheme, which was the catalyst for the government's slide in the polls.

The move against Mr Rudd was sparked by a report in yesterday's Herald that Mr Rudd had used his chief of staff, Alister Jordan, to sound out the backbench over the past month on the level of support for him. This followed a Herald/Nielsen poll which showed the government would lose if an election were held then.

But Mr Rudd's action was regarded as a sign that he did not trust the repeated assurances by Ms Gillard that she would not stand.

"It was offensive and disloyal," said a Gillard supporter.

I for one do not like this, for two of the bolded parts above. Firstly, Gillard is of the ALP right. I don't know a person that that faction doesn't sicken, at least in NSW. Secondly, I like the fact that Rudd baulked at moving to the right, and am worried that Gillard will now do just that, and that I'll find myself really not wanting to vote for either party because of a dirty campaign centred around Howardesque asylum battles, tainted by old fashioned xenophobia.

Eh, Greens polling numbers are on the increase, I hear, but Australia is much too conservative for that, anyway. I don't understand why people think the Greens would be a worse option, even if they would not be drastically better. At least they would be different.

But maybe I'm being too cynical. After all, it wasn't too long ago that I thought Rudd was a good PM (and I still don't think he is awful), and that at least the alternative, Turnbull, was not a worst case scenario.

Well, as far as I'm concerned, the Greens wouldn't be any worse. But that's because of the abysmally low standards set by Liberal/Labor.

I find myself agreeing with Camikaze here. I don't think Rudd was a great PM, and he brought this upon himself through some embarrassing backflips and poor communication, but he was much better than I expect Gillard to be. Still, Gillard will likely keep Abbott out of power, which would be a disaster of the highest magnitude. The man is an honest-to-god nutter, who makes John Howard look left-wing.

just a point on the thread title

didn,t Julius Ceasar call a leadership vote ?

The knives were out when Bob hawk "let slip" a careless remark two weeks ago, the NSW right sounds out the Vic. left and Julie is in, the same one who dudded Beazley, against Rudd, Julie annouces cabinet reshuffle, the NSW factions are in cabinet, better put in a Vic faction leader too, julie is smart and would have learnt from Rudd, or should that be has taught Rudd well ?

nothing wrong there The Unions should contol The ALP, just that history tells us there is always a public backlash to this

Camikaze said:
I don't know if I'd prefer that and a likely Coalition victory, or risking Abbott to decrease the Libs chances.

Eh. I would agree, if I had any confidence in Julia not being beholden to her factional and union backers. Most of Rudd's faults -- unilateral policy decisions, autocratic leadership style, picking his own cabinet and the like -- can be traced back to a desire to reduce the influence of those same groups. Besides, Julia was part of that and whether or not she can shed that stigma is something else. If she can't, then her chances of building up a power base strong enough to keep her going without that support is unlikely. If she can, all props to her she will probably make a better Prime Minister than Rudd.

As long as after the election we don't have that stupid Resource tax, then I don't care if Labor is back, but if it is part of their platform, then they will be battered here and in Queensland.

Are their any non-racist or apologist politicians in Australia? This all looks very dodgy to me. At least Rudd apologised to Aborigines because god forbid Australia acknowledges it's horrible past.

Please improve the quality and content of your posts. They tend to be stuck somewhere around Neanderthal.

useless said:
Are their any non-racist or apologist politicians in Australia?

Yes, there are. I don't think there's been a blatantly racist politician since Hanson. Furthermore, at least we don't have explicitly racist parties representing us in any supra-national institutions we might be party to...

useless said:
At least Rudd apologised to Aborigines because god forbid Australia acknowledges it's horrible past.

... I haven't seen any formal apologies for the murders of Aboriginals committed when Australia was still appended to the British Crown. But in terms of acknowledging horrible past actions its important to remember that we've only just seen an apology from the British Government for open and shut cases of murder perpetrated by British troops deployed in Northern Ireland.

Moderator Action: Flaming.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Top Bottom