Ancient/Pre-Steam Unit Graphics

Took the liberty to modify one of Fairline's gauls, as I felt he fitted, and made him into a Dacian Falx-man, just in case anyone might have a use for it.

Attachments

• Falxman.bmp
    12.9 KB · Views: 1,367
I were having some fun playing around with units and before I knew it I got this idea, why not make a couple of chaps rest their shields on the ground. Resting their hands on their shields.

So I took a couple of late Romans and modified them. Now, one of them is slightly interesting in that he is now carrying an axe. Why is he carrying an axe you might ask? Well, the best answer is, I came across this medieval-latin word securifier which litteraly means axe-carrier. I found myself wondering if this was the original source of the word security, feeling safe so to speak, but that is nothing but conjecture and idle thought. The other Roman is a bit more sensibly armed with a sword, a slightly long sword. I do not know if these are historically accurate to any degree, but does everything have to be? :)

Attachments

• TorsRomans.png
    TorsRomans.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 249
Very much an incomplete work in progress: newish doodlings covering the 1660-1715 time period to use with scenarios like Colonies and Casus Belli. Maybe I'll finish them someday.

Attachments

• Wars of Louis XIV and Peter the Great.png
    Wars of Louis XIV and Peter the Great.png
    216.6 KB · Views: 1,224
Torbk:
I like your axe-carrier.

The term Securifer (or Securiger) does refer to an axe carrier, but it is not the origin of the word Security. Security comes from Securitas, which means something metaphorically similar, and has the same sort of etymology as words like Liberty, Equality, and Fraternity (Libertas, Aequalitas, Fraternitas). This word is itself derived from the word Securus (Secure), which is a combination of a prefix meaning 'without' and the word for 'care'. In contrast, the word Securifer/Securiger derives from the word for Axe, Securis, which in turn derives from the word for 'cut', Seco, (Secare, Secui, Sectum).

If anyone requires work with Latin translations, I am happy to provide. Just be aware that I will probably not be around consistently.

-LM

Excellent work Gareth! A little bird told me you even have some Prussians/ Austrians/ Danes etc. in that mystery HD of yours ;)

Thanks chaps. Must finish that compilation off sometime; the Russians, Saxons, Poles, Bavarians and Ottomans need to make an appearance on my mystery HD to complete it.

I'm wondering, looking at Fairline's second big group of units on this page, or more specifically, the general era, if anyone's thought to do a serious go at an English Civil War scenario. I don't recall hearing mention of someone doing/having done one, though I may have missed something.

Nice work! It would certainly be interesting to see some Elamites or early iron age Medes:D

Top Bottom