Ancient/Pre-Steam Unit Graphics

There is this guy, a late legionnaire of the Eastern legions. Fairline did an attempt on him which as you can see was a long long time back(was it 10 years ago?)in the Apolyton days. The fourth guy, second row.
I've also attached another work on the subject of the late empire. It looks old now. His latest work on the subject had, sadly, portraited the Legionnaires as pikemen.
Generally what I am asking for is a 3rd century Legionnaire vaguely based on the eastern units. A swordsman, not a pikeman. Make sure the shield is roundish, not square as the initial Fairline gfx.

EDIT: Why only two pics show up as thumbnails?

Attachments

• Messopotamia.jpg
    Messopotamia.jpg
    433.2 KB · Views: 205
  • unitsromanlate.bmp
    86 KB · Views: 204
  • Romans BMP.jpg
    Romans BMP.jpg
    430.7 KB · Views: 384
Very nice work, Tanelorn. Maybe I could update this graphics modpack for ToT Hellas with your new set?
EDIT: Why only two pics show up as thumbnails?
Because one of them is a bitmap. Forum software automatically disables BMPs from displaying. Don't post BMPs on web pages. They are uncompressed. Oddly, you've managed to upload the Romans 'BMP' image as a lightly-compressed JPG. I suspect that the forum software automatically converts large BMPs to JPG. That's not recommended, either: compression is lossy and it's still too large. Post Civ2 graphics either as PNGs (24-bit for ToT, or 8-bit for MGE or less) or 8-bit GIFs (MGE or less). Both of those formats use lossless compression.

Welcome back Gareth! Thanks, though I believe you can make anything 10 times better :) .

Don't do yourself down chap - these are fantastic and no, I couldn't have done better. It's great to see you and others are still creating stuff for civ2. Almost makes me want to install ToT.......

I would be perfectly happy if those bronze age ToT Egyptians you made so long ago were released to the community... :)

Great to see you back here, Fairline. :goodjob:

I´m still working on my both projects and thinking about which map I should use. I´m currently using two maps, the very detailled from McMonkey and the one which Curt is using in his Kingdoms scenario.

McMonkey´s map is very detailled and it is possible to implement all famous battles in the scenario. But it only concentrated on a limited area. And the AI often can´t work with this big maps.

Here´s a screenshot for my AWI project. It´s showing McMonkeys map, or more a part of it:

Curt´s map he´s using for his Kingdom scenario contains the whole USA. I´ve cut of the Western States as they didn´t important for the American Civilwar. This map is smaller, the AI can use it and I can implement all theaters of the war in one map and using all seven civs.

Here´s a screenshot of the map at the moment. I´m trying to use the railbed system which Tecumseh used for his Red October scenario.

For me I would prefer Curt´s map for the ACW scenario as I have the cance to use all theaters in one map. For the AWI scenario I think McMonkey´s map is better as it concentrated only on the Eastern States. I´ve made also a AWI map of Curt´s map but most of the map is useless.

Attachments

• AWI_McM_Map.png
    AWI_McM_Map.png
    166 KB · Views: 947
  • ACW_Curt_Map.png
    ACW_Curt_Map.png
    271.5 KB · Views: 964
I would be perfectly happy if those bronze age ToT Egyptians you made so long ago were released to the community... :)

I'll have to look in my old pc to see if I can find them. I guess 'Seakings' will sadly never see the light of day, so Erin won't mind me posting them. I do have the ships I made for that scenario to hand though, for what they're worth:

@c2u: Thanks, good to see you guys too. Liking the maps, and I think your choice of the zoomed in one for AWI and Curt's one for AWI is a good one.

Attachments

• fairline ships.png
    fairline ships.png
    202.1 KB · Views: 936
These are amazing! :dance: I can see a couple of examples that appeared in Osprey's New Vanguard 196, which came out in January. Is it a coincidence or did you just make them recently?
:cowboy:

Thanks. Looking at the date on the 'Seakings' ships they were drawn in 2007, so they predate the Osprey book a tad. IIRC, Erin was something of an expert in the Bronze Age, and provided me with lots of great source material/pics to draw from. Book looks interesting though; do you have it?

Hi Fairline,

Was wondering if you still have these in ToT form

Cheers

Attachments

• brit battlecruisers.gif
    brit battlecruisers.gif
    5.9 KB · Views: 815
Hi Typhoon,

Nope, I remember thinking about messing with them for ToT, but ended up just doing HMS Tiger. I wasn't particularly happy with how that turned out (dark hull for ToT vs lighter original), so left the rest untouched. What p1sses me off far more is that I drew a number of Jutland battleships for Exile's proposed MGE scenario, and I didn't salvage them from an old, dead, PC :(

Fairline's peer pressure challenge. DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! :D

Oh, alright then, if you put it like that :rolleyes:

Right, installed and up and running for the first time in years! Wow, this game's quite good isn't it? :eek:

Time to give a class scenario a whirl methinks. How about Tech's Freddy the Gross with some new units?

OK, so what's happened since I've been away? Any good scenarios to play from the last year or so?

Attachments

• FtG units 2013.zip
    152.9 KB · Views: 122
  • fairline Fred the Great preview.png
    fairline Fred the Great preview.png
    186.2 KB · Views: 899
Top Bottom