Difficulty: Emperor
Barbarians: Restless tribes
Restarts: Off
Victory: Conquest or Spaceship
Huts: replay is allowed

Starting Techs:
~ Ceremonial Burial
~ Map Making

This Gotm is made by Inkerman. So I like to thank him for this special map/game he made.

The starting position has been set at 4000 BC (for GotM scoring), although the world is a bit more developed than usual for this time. The world has 17 cities; your capital Delhi is the smallest but may grow quickly and is well on the way to finishing a temple. You can as usual see the largest five cities via the top 5 cities list. MPE has been built in the world's top city, the Aztec island capital of Tenochtitlan. There are a handful of settlers, some of whom may settle shortly, and 16 units.

Ten technologies are known: two civs know 5, two know 3, and three know 2 (you are one of these.)

(The ten are: Alphabet, Bronze Working, Ceremonial Burial, Code of Laws, Iron Working, Mapmaking, Masonry, Mysticism, Trade, Warrior Code.)
Legend provides a good idea of the local seas, and you have a trireme, warrior and settler unit.

The game is suitable for use of the optional rule that hut pops may be replayed. So this time it is allowed. Good luck and have fun. Submit your game before April 1st, 2012.[/B]

Please be sure to follow the submission guidelines when submitting your game (please do not send your files in a .zip file. Attach them directly to your e-mail with your name in the save file). No extra save is needed.

Please sent the savegames only to civ2gotm@gmail.com.

Have fun.

Edit: I have just created the page. And added the savelink in this post.

Starting save is here.

Last edited:
Not sure if I like this hut-reload-allowed-rule, but it's worth a try.

Our city is only size 0! Was that intentional? I've never seen something like that before.

This sounds like fun. I hope I have the RL time for it. I guess huts become 3x as valuable with these rules, so popping and map analysis should be a big part of the early strategy.

I never played a " Hut " option rule...may someone explain ?
And one silly question....I need to submit my game 129 , have not done one in almost 2 years...I forgot !! how was the format for the file: ie- uruguashi- gotm- 129 and save year ? or Game 129 - Uruguashi -save year ??
About this game , I just downloaded and still analizing the map ...everything fits...except it is no special located where they should be ( never seen this before ! ) unless my Excel program has a glitch !!! It any tricks in this Game ? Just YES or NO ...LOL

I have never really played this type of hut option before either, at least as far as GOTM.

Here is what I did, everyone else can give their opinion if I did it correctly.

Like most people (at least I assume this to be true), I headed for the hut located on the island near the trireme. When I was ready to land my warrior, I saved. Then I landed. The result was, 50gold. I thought that might be a good choice, so I saved (with a new name). Then I reloaded the original save and landed again. This time I got scrolls - Warrior Code. Since I don't really want that, I reloaded the original file and landed again. The third time, barbarians were found. I definitely didn't want to see that, so reload again. Fourth landing results in a Legion. Again, I thought that might be nice so I saved a second special backup. I did this about 15 times looking at all the results and saving some of the better ones. After 15 landings, I then decided which of the special saves was the best for my situation and reloaded that special backup and proceeded with the game.

Of course 15 was an arbitrary number. It is up to each person to decide how many times to do it. Also, I guess if you have a specific item in mind, you might get that on the first try and then you wouldn't have to go thru all the motions.

@haleewud: Glad you asked this, because I had a different idea, that you just keep popping until you get what you want (with no saving). Your interpretation is OK with me, for what that's worth.

@Uruwashi. I think you need to send saves for 1AD , 1000AD, and a final save. You need to rename them uruwashi_gotm129_1ad.sav, etc, making sure to spell your name correctly ;). In your email, you note your score just before the end, and how Magic should finish your turn.

I think all this is written in the GOTM web pages and not hard to find. You should check, in case my memory isn't perfect.

@ Haleewud : Interesting...I will just play it the standard way. I thought the rule was for those that are playng OCC, I think part of the beauty of the game is like Forest Gump said " Never know what you going to get "
@ Peaster : Thanks for the info about the saves !

@haleewud: Glad you asked this, because I had a different idea, that you just keep popping until you get what you want (with no saving).

That's what I did, but saving after a good outcome and try for something better sounds like a pretty good idea.

I will just play it the standard way. I thought the rule was for those that are playng OCC, I think part of the beauty of the game is like Forest Gump said " Never know what you going to get "

You're right about that, but playing "normal" will give you a huge disadvantage. Every now and then there are some special unusual rules such as this or permission to open the game in map editor. Feels like cheating, but just like Jan Ullrich implied: It's not cheating if everybody does it. ;)

I have never really played this type of hut option before either, at least as far as GOTM.

Here is what I did, everyone else can give their opinion if I did it correctly.

Like most people (at least I assume this to be true), I headed for the hut located on the island near the trireme. When I was ready to land my warrior, I saved. Then I landed. The result was, 50gold. I thought that might be a good choice, so I saved (with a new name). Then I reloaded the original save and landed again. This time I got scrolls - Warrior Code. Since I don't really want that, I reloaded the original file and landed again. The third time, barbarians were found. I definitely didn't want to see that, so reload again. Fourth landing results in a Legion. Again, I thought that might be nice so I saved a second special backup. I did this about 15 times looking at all the results and saving some of the better ones. After 15 landings, I then decided which of the special saves was the best for my situation and reloaded that special backup and proceeded with the game.

Of course 15 was an arbitrary number. It is up to each person to decide how many times to do it. Also, I guess if you have a specific item in mind, you might get that on the first try and then you wouldn't have to go thru all the motions.

This is indeed the way you should play (try getting the best from an hut).
Which outcome is the best (extra city, new tech, etc.)

I guess I could have done the same basic idea without making 'special' save files. I did the saves since, especially in the first couple of huts, I wasn't really sure what I wanted. I could have just kept the same notes on the outcomes. After the 15 or so attempts, I would know the possibilities. Then it would just be a matter of continuing to try until I got the desired result again. But, it might take a significant number of attempts before the desired result came up after the first 15. I just figured I would save the best 2 or 3 and then I could just go back to that rather than spending the time having to try over and over.

That's what I did, but saving after a good outcome and try for something better sounds like a pretty good idea.

You're right about that, but playing "normal" will give you a huge disadvantage. Every now and then there are some special unusual rules such as this or permission to open the game in map editor. Feels like cheating, but just like Jan Ullrich implied: It's not cheating if everybody does it. ;)

Every experiment needs a control group. Having a strong player like Uruwashi avoid reloading weak huts will help us get a feel for how much hut-loading affects the game.

Well, I have to admit ...this is a VERY INGENIOUS map....
I thought I was wrong on my EXCEL map...I checked the EXCEL File THREE times ..and it is OK !
Great Curveball !! Now...2 specials dissapeared from the map !
They both should be near island 15 .
My Question is : Since Special DICTATE the LOCATION and " creation " of huts ...not having those specials on row 9 an 13 implies that ALL HUTS on row 9 and 13 do not exist ?
Now I understand the concept ...about the HUT re-opening...it is obviously NOT many Huts in the game .
So it is obvious that we all have to look for the better outcome, my point is " How many times , can we open a Hut ? "..we are not going to get an Elephant UNLESS we or the AI has Polytheism .
So in a way , its a good way to KNOW what Techs the AI has !
Live and Learn !
Inkerman ..thank you for a diabolical MAP !!
You made me redesign my EXCEL sheet ....to find out that it was NOTHING wrong ...OR IS IT ???
LOL

You made me redesign my EXCEL sheet ....to find out that it was NOTHING wrong ...OR IS IT ???
LOL

Yes the problem will be with the map, not the spreadsheet.

Maybe there are a few small things like this to entertain, maybe "jokes" is a good word. I think they will not affect the game very much. The main idea is to offer different choices to think about, because we like that, and we like hearing about it.

I think I should not say much whilst the game is in progress. To help, by chance I am soon leaving winter England for one week's holiday.

The hut replay idea was suggested by starlifter in this post. Do not worry: I think it is just this one GotM that will use the variation.

Speculation about Uru's missing specials.... I haven't even opened the map, so I don't think this belongs in the spoiler thread, but if you don't want to know, don't look!

Spoiler :
I guess that if the designer changes the map, the specials may not be correct anymore. For example, a tile cannot contain a whale [on the original map] if it is far from land. Creating an island near that tile does not make the whale suddenly appear.

Inker..very cleaver...I thought I was a genius at Maps...and somehow you put me Down ...my wife has been ing at me for 6 hours !! LOL.
" What have you been doing for 3 hours"...LOL
Diabolical execution.....incredible Map .....BUT remember what Ocaams Razor said...." When you have several options to solve a problem , choose the simplest one "...and I GOT your brains on that..Island 18
If WE ever have to VOTE for a MAP...or GOTM design ...this will be it.
Looks simple ..the Temple...the None Trireme....
Outstanding...

Peaster ...I have been looking at this MAP ....on 4000 , and comparing specials for hours..even print the Map LOL on the start at 4000 and it DOES not make SENSE !! ...I do not think I have say nothingh that it is NOT visible .
Sherlock Holmes is NOBODY ...LOL I spend about 10 hours trying to reason !

I have downloaded this but have not had a chance to look at it yet; I have to finish up 129 first. As someone who has spent a gigantic amount of time designing maps I cannot wait to start this. What Peaster said above is exactly my guess too. If you trun a map into a game and then grab the map of the game sea specials that are not reachable from land will disappear. You can make them reappear if you want to in the map editor but you do not have to. As far as I know, other than this one trick, there is no way to relocate specials. So any visible ones should help establish the resource seed and we have quite a few of those. Once you know the seed you know where the huts would be. Of course, the scenario designer could have wiped out any particular hut.

This game is one FOR THE AGES....I am sure Inker spent many , many hours thinking about logistics ...the lay out is FANTASTIC The temple almost built ?? The triereme near Island 15 ? ...I will vote this game ( together with the Maze ) as one of the most beautiful designed games in GOTM history..I admt , I have open the game and made THREE moves ..and I have to reconsider my options

Well INKERMAN , now that I know a bit more about the " concept " , I will apply one of the older theorems in Algebra and Math ....Ocaam's Razor siad that " When is SEVERAL solutions to a probem ..To resolve it ....Allways use the simplest one " . Now I know my game plan ....

Hi URUWASHI,

Many thanks for your kind words. I'm very amused by your comments on your wife's reaction and I do hope that having made your plan you are enjoying carrying it out.

I think the start position is maybe fun to think about, but mainly it's a reminder of this wonderful game's fantastic capability to allow and support a little variation.

Inkerman.

Top Bottom