The Civilization II HOF Thread!

Had no idea so many other people were addicted to this game! I was curious about game play and other statistics for Civ2 and Google sent me here. I'm currently in the middle of 2 games, both Deity. I'm hoping to make the Top 3 for Custom Maps, currently it's 1918 and I checked my score with retiring (not spaceship +400) and it's 1200% ish. See what I can do in the next few moves!

Also had a question about population.. I noticed that one of the guys who submitted had 1.3 billion people, as opposed to the maxed 320 million. After checking throughout the size I saw you can edit the .txt file to make some changes to the game. Is the score computed off of the 320 million that I have, or does the game actually know I have many more?

Hi!
Just joined up - again as hotmail refuses to let me read the restore password mail...!

Anyway: just finished a Civ2 game on King level, large map, with a score of 11650 and a percentage of 932. Had to end it by conquering the world as the game crashes on my Win8.1 when SS arrives. Reached maxpop at 320 mill. Is this a good score? (Got savegame and screenshots for possible HOF)

Hi,I think HOF is down,I have a save sent maybe in 2008,for place 7 or 8,8000 score for deity,but nothing:).

Hi, I can't compete with your scores (I guess because you play King and higher?) but I thought you might be interested in my bf and my Hof:as you can see, I haven't matched his high game, yet.

Hi, I can't compete with your scores (I guess because you play King and higher?)
No, not because of the level. In fact it is easier to get higher scores at lower levels. Your percentage however will be higher at higher levels for the same score.

These are mighty large scores. You obviously are a good player who should already been playing above warlord.

In the GOTMs we do not aim for large scores because it is so time consuming (in real time) to do so and also because near the end it also gets boring. To cement that, the rankings are based on the GOTM score not the raw game score. The GOTM score rewards you for getting done more quickly. So a game with a lower score that achieved victory in fewer turns may outrank a game with a higher score that took more turns to do so.

Typical high raw scores in GOTM are in 3000 range. Above 6000 is quite rare.

No, not because of the level. In fact it is easier to get higher scores at lower levels. Your percentage however will be higher at higher levels for the same score.
Why, thank you. I would play higher but I hate it when my cities revolt. If it was jut the AI getting more cunning, I would do it happily. :)

You will learn how to deal with unhappiness very quickly. Hanging Gardens becomes a priority (often the first wonder you go for at higher levels), michelangelo becomes a must, ...

Are there any game saves available of HOF Deity level seven tribes games?;)
I ask this question because I can't believe these high scores are achieved within the strict rules of HOF.

Hi,I think HOF is down,I have a save sent maybe in 2008,for place 7 or 8,8000 score for deity,but nothing:).
Hi, Catalin 72 :) Could you send me a copy of your save for this game?
P.S. My main interest lies in Space-race victories - with all 6 opponents still in the game.

Hi.I have sure that save on a CD,was used a CD just for this:),need to find.I played with Spain,with a good starting location,pheasant in river,but in small island.Sure is not with 6 AI in the end,was conquest I think.Where to send the file if find the CD?

Hi,;), Not sure whether you can attach them to civfanatic messages but, if not, then we could exchange email addresses.

For "serious" games I only play on World map with non-randomized starting position.
I only play randomized scenarios when we arrive on Alpha Centauri ;)
Ideally, if you have a saved game position whilst there were still 6 opponents then that would do fine.

Sorry, Catalin72, but the save didn't work with my MGE version. However, I'd love to know how airbases are used to transport food. I've also messaged to you an email address where I can be contacted. If you are interested, I will reply with a full explanation of how I now play Civ2:cool:.

Hi,I sent mail to your adress from PM.Maybe you have Windows 7 or other new OS,I had too problems with some old saves for WW II scenario,can't open in Windows 7 if are in a folder,if are spread in all Civ II folder work. Airbases can give +1 or +2 food if have supermarket in the city,for mountain +1,for hills with mine is like a farm,+2 food,maybe for this is 'effect of irrigation +1 food' in description of mountain,more players thinking about this a programming error.

Thanks, Catalin :) I'll check it out.
Meanwhile, I've emailed the promised document plus a save from my latest effort for you to try.;)

:goodjob: Thanks, Catalin72. I was able to play the 1980AD save that you sent, but can't win the "Space-Race with all 6 opponents still in the game" without the Germans & Russians. However, I can now annihilate the rest well before 1990AD, which will put me in an unassailable position at the top of my own "Hall of Fame" chart. Well done! :king: Looking forward to more from you. (P.S. Nb. There is no bonus in Civ2 for a peaceful way to the stars. So the road to destruction will always be atop of my chart. I wonder what Civ6 will bring?)

Top Bottom