UFO: Enemy Unknown, remake by Firaxis

Status
Not open for further replies.
The demo was surprisingly disappointing. And not because of the cut-scenes and linearity, which are understandable in the introductory missions.

The design if very console-oriented, in ways that I find unappealing for a strategy game.
I actually do agree here, although probably for different reasons:

The gameplay freedom the demo hints at is very limited compared to the original X-COM. Classes are chosen for you. Special weapons are one-use only. Missions are triggered with unavoidable dilemmas. In the original you get to choose the class/role of your soldiers, you can bring extra ammunition for special weapons, and--in principle--you do have the option to avoid mission dilemmas.

As for pure speculation, I get a feeling that the game will throw progressively stronger aliens at you, escalating the alien invasion. A linear increase in difficulty, where you have to manage your assets carefully in order to keep up. Now, in the original this is just a part of the first half of the game, where the aliens are the hunters and the humans are the prey. Once your infrastucture is in place, the roles get reversed, and you play the final stages of the game having humans hunting aliens. (Well, depending on how you play the game, this is at least an option.)
[...]

- The camera is hard to set and never quite shows what you want; you can't zoom in and out much and you can't turn around freely

- The camera gets even worse (!) when you are giving firing orders, as it tries to show both your guy and the target; in the demo (presumably the most polished part of the game, right?), I had a flying enemy that made the firing camera give me a crotch shot of the soldier I had selected; the game goes to this camera as soon as you move the mouse over the firing order and there's no escaping it :(

- The fact that buildings have multiple levels may be interesting, but it makes surveying the map a mess

- The glam shots of people running can f*** off

- Selecting and ordering people is unnecessarily difficult; it's especially annoying that sometimes the game seems to be trying to give you suggestions, which outright switches to a certain soldier and order (so, if the game thinks I should use a certain soldier to shoot at an alien, I am transported straight into the annoying firing camera mentioned above)

- It's hard to check what you can do, tooltips work badly when they work and you can't check out what possibilities the enemies will have on their turn

I wish they would have a PC-specific option for a no-bull**** overview camera, like the Original Dragon Age had. That camera allowed you to play Dragon Age like an old school RPG and worked well... They removed it from the sequel, so I never wanted to play that one.

Have you tried unchecking Show action cam and Enable third-person cam in the gameplay options? It may not fix all your issues, but try it out. Of course, this does not affect cutscenes ;)

Edit:
[...]
It's not technical limitations, but rather controller related ones. Real time strategy games don't work on consoles at all for this reason (in my opinion). Turn based games can work and there are some good ones, but generally they are based on depth (a small number of features that combine to create an interesting tactical challenge) and not on breadth (a large number of features; these require fiddly menus when you don't have a mouse).

This is spot on :goodjob: And this issue can potentially turn the remake into a huge pile of X-COM fail :undecide:

Have you tried unchecking Show action cam and Enable third-person cam in the gameplay options? It may not fix all your issues, but try it out. Of course, this does not affect cutscenes ;)

I wish I hadn't uninstalled the demo so quickly :(. I'd like to see how much of a difference these options make.

I really like it. Assuming it gets less linear as it goes along in the retail version I think we might have a winner. Gotta scrounge up 49.99 to before release.

Caveat: I only puttered around a bit with shareware X-Com back in the day and that means I'm not nostalgic nor worried about the "spirit of the original."

Does the UI let you look up and down a level the way the original does? In that game, you just click the ladder icon up or down to reveal everything you can see of other levels, which worked fine.

You use the mouse wheel. It is the easiest and more intuitive way it could ever have been done but for mind reading.
It does allow it, but it's a little wonky. You have buttons for going up or down, but it doesn't seem to move full floors, so you have to move them a couple of times to get it right. I also found it sometimes difficult to aim something on another level than my selected unit. It feels like the system that decides what you see tries to guess what you want to see, but doesn't always get it right.

Use the mouse wheel.

The gameplay freedom the demo hints at is very limited compared to the original X-COM.
No it doesn't. It hints and a demo being very limited compared to a full game.

Demo seems promising, albeit not perfect. Think I'm gonna pick it up. If it's even half as good as the original, it'll be well worth the money.

You use the mouse wheel. It is the easiest and more intuitive way it could ever have been done but for mind reading.

Use the mouse wheel.

Makes sense as a standalone mechanic, less so in a game context in which 'mouse wheel' almost invariably = 'zoom'. It will take some unlearning of existing habits, so I can see why it might seem awkward coming to the game anew.

Thanks to cmfreak at the 2K games forums for showing how to change the difficulty in the demo (thread here):

cmfreak said:
Hi guys,

I'm new here but I've been lurking these forums for a few weeks now. I've discovered how to change the difficulty and want to share with everyone!

Just go to the XCOM demo steam install folder (\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown-Demo\Engine\Config).

And then open "BaseGame.ini" with notepad, edit the line "GameDifficulty=+0.0" change this to "GameDifficulty=+3.0"

I believe 3.0 is classic mode. I actually failed the mission by getting my squad all killed!

Note: You must edit the ini file in the steam install folder and not the one in my documents folder, otherwise it will not work.

Hoping someone finds a way to skip the first tutorial mission!

Can't wait for the full game to come out oOMMGGGG!!! Have fun guys!

I noticed a steep drop in soldier health on difficulty 3. The aliens seem to act smarter, although it's hard to tell from the short gameplay. I chose the US mission, and upon completion China went into full blown panic mode. Also, it looked like there was no squad size upgrade.

It does actually hint compared to the original, for example soldiers can only shoot once regardless of if they move or don't, also you have no fire options it sems such as aim, snap and burst fire.

This is not necessarily a bad thing, as it forces to play very tactically, you have to always support and cover your troops as if one man runs into multiple enemies and you haven't supported him then he is pretty much deads

no different fire modes?! oh man. I loved opening a ufo's door and auto firing my HE auto cannon into the room.

no different fire modes?! oh man. I loved opening a ufo's door and auto firing my HE auto cannon into the room.

Too right, I think I used to ditch all the crap standard rifles ASAP and had most of the squad armed with auto cannons.. with as many HE clips as they could carry. Plus a couple of guys with rocket launchers (large HE/Incendiaries rockets of course :lol: )

It got tiresome opening a door to a barn, surprising a Muton, unloading half a clip of assault rifle rounds into it, just to have it turn around then one shot your soldier with a plasma pistol to the face :( Better to level the barn with rockets first, then full auto-HE-cannon anything still moving.

Too right, I think I used to ditch all the crap standard rifles ASAP and had most of the squad armed with auto cannons.. with as many HE clips as they could carry. Plus a couple of guys with rocket launchers (large HE/Incendiaries rockets of course :lol: )

It got tiresome opening a door to a barn, surprising a Muton, unloading half a clip of assault rifle rounds into it, just to have it turn around then one shot your soldier with a plasma pistol to the face :( Better to level the barn with rockets first, then full auto-HE-cannon anything still moving.

Either you were playing at higher difficulties than me, or you were doing something odd if you were still using rifles by the time Mutons showed up.

I hope the loss of fire modes is just a reflection of the weapons in the demo - it did a lot to differentiate weapons and made you think carefully about how you used those action points to set up your opportunity fire. And the trade-off in lost accuracy wasn't always worth the extra shots from burst fire.

Anyway, heading home - I'll be able to report on my own experiences later.

Be honest, did anyone ever use anything other than autofire if they had the time units for it?

Yes, if I was armed with a weapon that would likely kill in one shot, or had a soldier with poor accuracy - three shots that miss are worse than one that hits (except usually with HE autocannon rounds).

It's a shame the demo doesn't at least give you a full mission after the tutorial stuff that you can carry out in freeform, as it were.

Vets of Civ combat; are you at 'home' with XCOM [demo] combat?

Since most units in the XCOM demo are limited to two moves, did that strike a level of a familiarity with you since the most early Civ units function in the same way?

--btw, if you mod the XCOM demo's .ini files, you can increase difficulty from 0.0 (easy) to 3.0 (impossible), with 2.0 being classic--

I am a noob to XCOM but combat on easy, was fairly easy. I upped it to the impossible difficulty level afterward and ended up always losing a guy on every replay, and considering that I knew where the units were hiding in fog of war from previous playthoughs, that shouldn't have happened.

If anything, this demo has gauged my tactical turn based knowledge from the Civ series, and I am convinced Classic mode in XCOM is for me, even though I am new to the series itself.

Moderator Action: Merged with the main XCOM thread.

Y'all know being pessimistic doesn't automatically make you cool right?

It does actually hint compared to the original, for example soldiers can only shoot once regardless of if they move or don't, also you have no fire options it sems such as aim, snap and burst fire.

Not true, they specifically said snipers can have snap fire. It's one the the abilities they can take on promotion. It allows them to move and fire with a sniper rifle which they can normally only fire if they're stationary. And Assault soldiers can have Rapid Fire ability allowing for two shots.

Plus there are grappling hooks. I'm going to say that a lot because that pretty much trumps anything.

Makes sense as a standalone mechanic, less so in a game context in which 'mouse wheel' almost invariably = 'zoom'. It will take some unlearning of existing habits, so I can see why it might seem awkward coming to the game anew.

You sound like my grandmother who doesn't want to learn to use the microwave because she thinks she'll forget how to do something else. Or me when I was six and couldn't play Ghostbusters for the NES because the jump button was B and in Mario and every other game jump was A and I couldn't adjust.

Plus there are grappling hooks.

Y'all know being pessimistic doesn't automatically make you cool right?

Not true, they specifically said snipers can have snap fire. It's one the the abilities they can take on promotion. It allows them to move and fire with a sniper rifle which they can normally only fire if they're stationary. And Assault soldiers can have Rapid Fire ability allowing for two shots.

It's not pessimism, it is the accumulated hope of 20 years of waiting for this game to be remade and remade right.

those abilities sound good though, my point about the shoot once and no options was more that you can move twice, but only shoot once regardless of whether you move first or not, I thought it would be more shoot/shoot. shoot/move or move/move, then special abilities add extras things like the move/move/shoot for run and gun.

Either you were playing at higher difficulties than me, or you were doing something odd if you were still using rifles by the time Mutons showed up.

Difficulties were messed up to start with; front menu was broken- until patch 1.4 all levels were set at 'easy'?

Anyway,

At start of the game I would sell all rifles and pistols (I felt they wore not worth much), buy another base, and rearm with auto cannon.

Then tech was armor (troops last longer), then straight to (lazer rifles n interim, pistols no use?) Heavy Plasma Guns

First run-through (and no idea how to change difficulties), so I may have missed some interface quirks (such as whether there's a way to move to the next turn without using all squad members' movement points, either to move, fire or set overwatch, or a way to avoid having to click "Ok" every time you want to perform an action other than moving).

Quick summary: While I may be guilty of falling prey to preconceptions, since I first mentioned this a while back, but it feels very familiar ... remarkably similar, in fact, to a turn-based version of Dawn of War 2 (the campaign rather than single-player, in which you had characters in place of squads, one of each class, and who levelled up in similar ways). Less so to X-COM; the heritage is still there, but in much the same way it seemed to be in the real-time game. This is not a bad thing by any means - DoW II is a fine game, and its campaign mode (the first game, not the expansions) had the best campaign system I've seen since the original UFO days (and, while more tightly-scripted, it gave the impression of having been inspired by them). But also as I said before, it's likely to be a game I'll pick and play while thinking of it as something other than X-COM, and going back to the original when I feel in a mood for a 'real' X-COM game.

Cut-scenes/tutorial: I actually liked the storyboard approach, although the dialogue could use some work ("Project X-COM activated" was only the worst, not an isolated travesty). It does liven up the tutorial mission, although I wonder how well it actually introduces the game concepts in more freeform play for those who aren't familiar with this style of game; in particular most elements of the interface are neglected.

Interface: For all the effort that's gone into the graphics and animation, the interface icons are a bit bare-bones, looking rather Endless Space-like low budget efforts. It's quick to find most things you need, although the soldier details toggle is rather oddly-placed in the centre-left of the screen. As above I have issues with the difficulty of just clicking/double-clicking on a target and shooting it without a pop-up that I have to acknowledge (ironic considering that the original game did exactly the same, but those were option menus, not just "grenades deal 3 damage. Ok?") Units seem inconsistent in their responsiveness to my clicking them to move, and yes, the way levels move up and down seems slightly inconsistent as well. Plus it seems no one in the new X-COMverse has heard of stairs.

Mechanics: The two-move system feels very inflexible - halfway between an action point-less RTS (like Dawn of War) system and a turn-based one. Move-fire, fire-move and move-move are your only real options, and overwatch now seems to be there mostly to use spare movement rather than to actively set up traps (although, anticipating a floater I spotted elevating into his line of sight, I did put my sniper on overwatch for a good shot. He missed.)

The little we see of the class system is fine, but again feels more like DoWII than X-COM, but the demo should have carried on long enough to meaningfully differentiate them. At least in the US mission I selected, enemy targets didn't cluster enough to even use my squaddie's promoted rocket. As it is I could only really see a difference between my sniper and my other units (and oddly a headshot has exactly the same chance to hit as a normal shot).

The two things I really miss are the inventory - there's no space for one, and upgrades seem mostly automatic; rocket launchers and sniper weapons allocated by class, for instance - and the effect of wounds. When my heavy was wounded, he just suffered a Battle Wounds morale hit (though I saw no effects of morale in my game) - which happened in UFO as well, only in that game you also suffered ill effects from wounds; reduced hit points and so greater likelihood of being killed by the next shot, and above all "fatal wounds". Half the tales of lucky escapes in the old games were about getting your fatally wounded, highly-promoted character to the safety of a medikit in time, or desperately hunting down that final alien before your soldiers succumbed to their wounds. There doesn't appear to be any provision for that in the new game. A few minor changes lose detail without much good reason - the reduction in the number of stats, no longer having a kneel option.

That's it for the nostalgia - on the plus side the game plays well, if simply given the limited amount we see. The tight scripting appears lavish and strictly limited to this one tutorial mission (or possibly tutorial campaign). Mission selection, too, recalls Dawn of War - missions come two at a time, you have to choose one, the rewards differ by mission, and failing or abandoning one mission will result in a loss of influence in that region (panic in XCOM, an increased rate of Tyranid infestation in DoWII).

Again nostalgically this aspect of the game looks simplified, as does the much coarser scale (which seems to work by continent rather than key donor nations - and sure in the original game this meant an overabundance of important powers in Europe and the need to promote Nigeria and South Africa to world power status to make Africa worth the investment, but I preferred having more factions to juggle). But treated as a new game in its own right I'd say that on first glance it looks at least comparable to DoWII's campaign - which I already praised highly - with the addition of base building, research (not sure I'm a fan of weapons self-destructing, though - past a certain tech level in the original game, making do with gear from dead aliens after you'd dropped your kit in panic or whatever was all part of the sense of desperation) and what may be less tightly-scripted progression; the alien abduction missions may come in pairs, but there will still be good old-fashioned UFO hunts.

Maps: My concerns about map size have largely dissipated - the map we were presented with in the second mission wasn't huge, but when playing it felt big enough, with plenty of room for aliens to hide (and if they'd fired back it might even have been challenging). What's more, the maps look and feel rather a lot like old X-COM maps, even if everything is oddly orange-tinted for some reason.

Overall, the demo gave me a pretty good sense of what XCOM: Enemy Unknown is not, and to a large extent it's not UFO: Enemy Unknown. Unfortunately it didn't give enough of a sense of what it is - suppression is seen very briefly in the first mission (before the suppressed rookie dies) but its effects aren't shown and I haven't succeeded in suppressing targets myself. So it could be an interesting addition, or not. We've seen little kit, got no idea of tech progression, the aliens are the usual suspects without the promised new additions, and we've seen that classes exist but not a lot about what they do. I like the limitation in squad numbers, and the ability to unlock new squad member slots as time goes on (broken record time: DoWII does exactly the same). I wonder if you'll tech up to 24 men by the time you start building Avengers?

Difficulties were messed up to start with; front menu was broken- until patch 1.4 all levels were set at 'easy'?

Not sure I remember that, and I bought the game when it came out.

Anyway,

At start of the game I would sell all rifles and pistols (I felt they wore not worth much), buy another base, and rearm with auto cannon.

Then tech was armor (troops last longer), then straight to (lazer rifles n interim, pistols no use?) Heavy Plasma Guns

Pistols weren't worth anything, but I prefer mobility to autocannon - and it's horribly inaccurate (okay, HE rounds help with that somewhat). I tended to research the first two laser techs (heavy laser's no use for anything - often I'd leave it unresearched until I had literally nothing else left to research) and heavy plasma - I max out on scientists early and run several research projects in parallel, so I'm usually researching both laser and armour as soon as I get back from the first mission. Usually personal armour completes at about the same time as laser rifles. I tended to buy lots of soldiers, so that I could start levelling up the survivors quickly and replace them on the Skyranger for the next mission - if you get armour too early, you just end up armouring a bunch of rookies who'll die anyway, and need to buy more armour as well as another rookie...

I enjoyed the demo. Definitely agree that there was alot of scripting in the demo, to introduce us to some main concepts.

The second mission allowed us to see what the combat will actually be like.

After moving my "men" forward on their first move, I could not figure out how to turn them, to face another direction (to be facing the way I thought aliens might approach from). Not sure if this is possible, and if its necessary. I almost got the impression that the xcom units could see in any direction regardless of which way they were facing....not sure though

I think I am going to miss the "time units" concept and the inventory system but look forward to the new game.

Just hope it has a good length to the "campaign", and allows for some flexibility in how you complete it.....not linear, focing us down one path.

I think I am going to miss the "time units" concept and the inventory system but look forward to the new game.

I don't think time units are all that good. They encourage tactics "come in, shoot and come out", nothing else. The same as it was in Fallout. From the demo "2 actions" system looks better. Not sure how it will come in full-featured game, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom