Age of Wonders 3

The one review I read seemed to echo ddd123's sentiments, said overall strategic depth was unbalanced and you might as well just spam build everything.

I wonder if buy this game or Warlock II exiled

For me, it's probably neither. Unless Warlock 2 is a huge AI upgrade from 1 it won't be worth the time/money, and this game doesn't sound like it's great either. Civ 6 is something to look forward to, at least =)

I wonder if buy this game or Warlock II exiled

Depends on what your looking for exactly. AoW3 is focused on combat and has tactical battles, but the other parts of the game are not that deep. I played the first Warlock and it is pretty much fantasy Civ5. From what I've read Warlock II did not change much from the first one. There are plenty of "Let's Play" videos for AoW3 that might help you decide. I enjoy AoW3's combat focused approach. Managing cities and economies is not as fun to me as commanding troops on the battlefield.

That is one HUGE patch. Surplus mana was definitely a problem so its good they addressed it. It was easy to get more mana than you could ever use. I also like the new city upgrades they added for classes.

The unit morale and city happiness system is what I want patched the most in the future. Alignment or race needs to have more impact on morale/happiness.

This is 50% off on Steam atm... the lack of chatter here makes me think people aren't playing it...

Is anyone in love with this game? Or is it a dud?

This is 50% off on Steam atm... the lack of chatter here makes me think people aren't playing it...

Is anyone in love with this game? Or is it a dud?

I got it but haven't played it yet. I've heard good things about it so thought I'd give it a shot.

I picked it up, I've heard lots of good things about it, and the only real negative thing I've seen repeatedly is that it may not have as much depth as some other strategy games.

Sweet! Many compare it to Civ, but it's not. If you remember that, you're more likely to enjoy it. (which isn't hard!) :)

AoW has a quicker pace. Though, in the latest updates, Triumph has added additional options to lengthen the game (I still prefer the default speed, though). Another one is an option I really like: heroes that join you are of your own race or any additional races you control.

Another thing is that the game is more focused on tactical battles and army management and less on empire management. Regarding the latter, the mechanics of things like happiness, growth, and such take a little getting used to at first, but it makes sense after a while.

It's been a long time since I've been on this site, but I saw something about AOW3 on here when I was searching Google, so I decided to come and see the thread.

I'm very much enjoying this game. Everyone is correct that this is not CIV. The depth is not there, but that does not mean that the game is not fun. To me this is closer to Rome Total War than it is to CIV. I don't get as much of the "One more turn" thing as I did with CIV, but I do get some of it, and I have been awake too late at night nearly every day since I got the game.

The Devs are active in the community, and they seem to genuinely want to make this game the game that the players want. The last patch was full of balance tweaks in addition to fixing bugs. The Devs have promised a big overhaul on diplomacy in the next patch. Also, there is talk of expansions and/or DLC, adding new races and content.

If you are looking for a CIV clone, this is not it, but I think it does a pretty good job at adding some Role Playing elements to a strategy game. They did a much better job at combining the two things than Sid Meier did in the remakes of Pirates and Railroads.

If you are hesitant because of bad reviews, remember that most of the reviews were before the balance changes. They recently had flash sales on both Steam and GOG, so watch for those and give it a try. At the very least it will be a good time filler until the release of the next "must have" game.

No. I haven't been following the forums as much but I believe they are still working on it and many are still requesting it.

Top Bottom