Sim City (4) Succession Session!

I don't see a problem with graphics mods, but to be on the safe side it'd be best to move the others from out of the mods folder. Presumably if you just move them out into another folder you can move them back in afterwards (then again I know very little about SC4 modding)

Also, if I should end up playing, in addition to the NAM, I also personally play with a mod that changes the water color, the Census Building mod, and the Hole Digger Lot mod. I'm assuming the graphics mod should be fine to play with, but the other two only have effects if I plop the respective buildings, IIRC. Should I remove those from my mod folder?
You can add and remove mods as much as you want without major problems. Now if the mod adds a building, the building will either be a blank lot, or a big brown box. Usually you can just delete the lot just fine

GRAPHS!!! 50 years of delicious data to devour, dutifully demarked, denoting distinctive, erm, administrations so blame can be suitably apportioned.

Careful- there's a lot of them

Spoiler :

+44,000? Very nice. It doesn't look like you even zoned that much more residential. Guess that means those transit improvements and new industry are really paying off.

We've still got 14% dirty industry tax unless someone's changed it. I thought that'd be enough to discourage new dirty industry; guess not. I debated bulldozing the old dirty industry zone in my last session, but the income it provides is nice.

I won't be able to take a turn until Monday (and have never played a city over 100K), so I'm OK with mythmonster2 joining.

Being a friend to Industry I lowered it back to 9% but I did leave High Tech at 7%. All across the board it is 9% but for High Tech.

Being a friend to Industry I lowered it back to 9% but I did leave High Tech at 7%. All across the board it is 9% but for High Tech.

My kind of man! No new taxes! Don't tread on my pollution!

A couple more bits of info:

Crime leaves a little to be desired, especially all those fighting farmers.

Fort Consternation is a classy place to live, except for around the army base, heavy industry and the garbage dump, for some reason

Also, radiation :nuke::nuke::nuke::nuke:

and with that- time to roll up my sleeves and, I dunno, do something I guess.

And "do something", I did...

Peck's Third Term: I can't help but make money!

Here's a map of the region, just in case you were wondering (I Know you were)

Good Lord look at those clouds! I think it had something to do with keeping the game minimised at the region screen for ages

Oh well, onto the city.

Mayor Peck strolled gleefully into City Hall- happy to once again to have full access to the Mayoral limousine.

The day was abound with celebration- 50 years of Fort Consternation! As a model of government, Bureaucratic Despotism by committee was lauded as the city had not only survived fifty years of this unorthodox arrangement, but had positively thrived under it.

To mark the occasion graphs were drawn up (see above), lots and lots of graphs- data was gathered, archives studied and a history of the city was compiled. In graph form. Accounting for a bit of lag between terms and their effects, they tell quite a story- who's been spending what, when and just how much health and education suffer when I'm in charge.

“Ahem, Mr Mayor” an aide tentatively knocked on the door, “you've been locked in your office for hours drawing graphs- don't you think you ought to start governing?”

Ah, right, yes.

1/1/50 was an incredibly busy day considering most of it was spent drawing graphs and pictures and overlays and the like.

First a demolition and dezoning squad was sent out to anywhere with an irritating “No road access sign”. It was out of sheer magnanimity that Mayor Peck didn't add “and any building with those damned 'no job' signs, too!”

He also fixed the gaps in the water pipes and to save every other mayor the trouble, connected water to every tile,- then gave himself a suitable reward

Not only that- a huge infrastructure project was commissioned to drag METY's neighbourhood kicking and screaming into the nineteenth century, with a comprehensive rail system and pamphlets detailing the workings of the gold standard

With all that Mayor Peck took himself away on holiday for a couple of weeks to regain his composure and was about to set up a mannequin in his office to take his place when the education minister came in garbling something about schools and how we should think of the children- won't somebody please think of the children.

Fine.

Looking into it it was found that almost every educatable sim was a teenager. The Elementary schools were empty and the High Schools packed!

Funding was given for two mega-schools which were suitably named, while smaller, less suitably named schools were mothballed, and when that wasn't found to be dramatic enough- blown up.

The rest of the year passed by quietly enough, except in July there was trip down memory lane as an industrial building went up in flames. Thoughtful and teary eyed, the mayor was led away from the scene as he was not helping the situation.

There was a bit of zoning and various tweaks to the city before the mayor had a change of heart regarding building policy and completely let go on the whole "It needs to look like 1940s New York" restriction

The only budgetary review of the administration took place in October of Year 52- it was decided to leave taxes alone, even rejecting calls to raise Dirty Industry taxes- like germanicus12, Peck of Arabia was industry friendly, and decided to encourage new Hi-Tech industry by zoning it in pleasant areas rather that making a cash cow and an example out of Dirty Industry.

Expenditure was to be fixed, barring emergency expenditures such as strikes. And construction, of course

After spending new years day nursing a hangover from a fantastic new years party the night before, a review was conducted as to future power supply.

At some point or other all other power stations had been unlocked and this meant new calculations had to be made over whether it paid to go all environmental and what not. The result was clear...

2 Oil Plants 14000 Gigawatts per hour. at $750 per Month
3 Coal Plants 18000 Gigawatts an hour at $1200 per Month

Fossil Power Total
32,000 Gigawatts per hour................ at $1950 per Month

Hydrogen Power

50,000 Gigawatts per hour............... at $10,000 Month

Nuclear was out of the question- I'm not going to be the Mayor responsible for turning Fort Consternation into an irradiated Wasteland...

Going Environmental was just not worth it- after all even without the Coal and Oil Plants there 's still landfills and incinerates to be located somewhere. Why can't we have the power plants from Sim City 3000? they were great!

Early one morning in March, Mayor Peck was awoken by the sound of harmonicas and of the setting up of a soup kitchen outside the Mayoral mansion. Upon further inspection, mass unemployment was found to have struck the Old Downtown (not far from the Mayor's House)

The maturing of METY's neighbourhood brought a lot of new residents, but little in the way of job creation for these new residents

Emergency measures were taken and a commercial area was zoned over the farmland adjacent. The farmland that had held it's ground through 8 previous administrations had finally been breached. :eek:

To avoid causing a political crisis, more widespread commercial development was zoned around the “World's Most Unsafe Minor League Stadium” terracing the hillside with commercial as the Incas once terraced their hillsides with farms.

Having made the first inroads into the once sacred farmlands, plans looking into potential future development were drawn up in October and the result was not good for the farmers. The area was seen to be prime Hi-Tech Industry real estate and as delicious as Fort Consternation produce was, could the ailing agricultural sector really stand up against to the lucrative Commercial and Hi-Tech Industry pressure over the long term?

Year 53 opened with a worry revelation that no amount of spending could damage the budget and that despite demolishing much of METY's neighbourhood, compensating the owners of course, to build railways and significant outlays transforming the landscape and watering every square- the budget had bounced back, and then some. Short of some insane megalomaniacal development scheme, the budget seemed bullet-proof.

It took a year to calculate the plans, but Mayor Peck had his attempt at megalomaniac expansion . Not be outdone by Mayor Thorgaleag in terraced construction, and not content with the commercial zones already set up, a sweeping coastline of Hi-Tech Industry was to be zoned along the East Coast, and where the land would not allow it, it was to be bent to his will and forced to submit to the Mayor's development plans! Mwahaha!

With so much excess budget, a look was given to fire and police protection both of which were substantially improved, the ineffective METY memorial police station being replaced with a more efficient, if dubious replacement.

March of Mayor Peck's last year saw unemployment fall to controllable levels

By July Mayor's Peck's vanity project- a little country retreat complete with housing for friends and guests and a rebuilt country club that had been previously demolished by a well-meaning, if dangerously communistic (with all those farms, possibly Maoist), Mayor Quintillus :p

Sadly despite the success of Hi-Tech in most other places- smog still blighted the air over the northern (MoreEpicThanYou Memorial) industrial ridge though given Mayor Peck's unwillingness to clamp down on Dirty Industry, this was to be expected.

Warnings about power supply were raised by the mayor, too busy with constructing a coastal avenue to pay much attention.

“Throw some more money at the plants” seemed as good a stop gap measure- though power supply would be an immediate concern to Mayor Peck's successor.

Embarrassingly, the Mayor could not be found for the handing over ceremony for a full two weeks. He was eventually found in his country retreat typing up his memoirs* as such it was not until 14/01/55 that his successor could take over

*True story, well except for the country retreat. I left the game running as I made notes on my administration...:blush:

Fort Consternation

Mayor: mythmonster2
Population: 184, 609 (+19,124)
Funds: $293,587 (+ $212034 – I just couldn't spend it all!)
Mayor Rating: 11/12 (No change)

Attachments

• City - Fort Consternation.rar
    7.6 MB · Views: 50
What an amazing super califragilistic city we are building, arent we? I would have not idea about how to spend all that money either since building beaches and terraces is too cheap.

We could try to convert all dirty industries into hi-tech. In fact i tried to do si in a 500k city i was playing the other day with catastrophic results. What i did was to demolish all dirty industries, period. Of course the unemployment became huge, people flew away and the budget fell into red numbers in an eye blink. Maybe i was no too subtle. There must be better ways of doing it i guess.

I guess we could splash out on landmarks. I might try to burn some money on a pet project or two as well, in my next term. I'm disappointed, though, that my swish country retreat is already falling into disrepair- apparently the commute is too long for my wealthy neighbours

City is growing nicely. :)

It's possible to replace most of the dirty industry with manufacturing and still maintain a healthy and growing population (yes, including some poor workers!), but it's really tricky to pull off. You already have the multiple industrial connections required, but I'd also incentivize manufacturing as well.

Isn't SC4 all about playing with Regions? Maybe you could make some neighboring cities to really boost high-rise commercial and/or residential demand. I'm not sure how to export Regions so that others can play them though... If it is even possible.

Another option would be to add new mods one at a time and try to make the city a bit more aesthetic. The beach area looks nice enough but all those grid-like industrial districts are a bit of an eysore. You could also add new types of power plants and/or forms of mass transit. Etc etc. There's about a billion different mods for SC4, most of them spectacular. There's so much to choose from that it's a bit dizzying, but I'd say that's a rather pleasant one as far as problems go. ;) But hey, take your time and maybe fill up all the available area first. There's so little room when you really start to build a good city... You have to wonder why they chose to limit city tile size to a ridiculous extent in the new SimCity, when all the fans were hoping for a move in the opposite direction. But then that game is broken on so many levels that it's better not to think about it in order not to become too depressed. I wonder if there will ever be a new SimCity...

This was a great read btw; nice break from the Civ Succession games. :) I'd play too but alas I've got things to do. Maybe later if I'll have more time for it.

Myth groggily woke up in a strangely comfy chair. Weird, he didn’t recognize the place. It seemed to be some sort of cushy office. Oh well, not the first time he woke up in a strange place he didn’t recognize. He closed his eyes again and began drifting to sleep when some guy he didn’t recognize entered the room saying something about low water. He told him to go away, but the man replied, “Sir, if your city doesn’t have enough water, we won’t be able to attract high-income businesses or residents!”

“Wait, what? My city?”

“Yes, sir. Fort Consternation. You became mayor last night, don’t you remember?”

One drawn out expletive later, Mayor Myth was ready to get down to work. Initial problems were the lack of water and the fact that there were many, many abandoned or downgraded buildings. It seemed the primary cause of the latter was commute times. But that would have to be solved later. One look at the city’s finances showed they definitely had enough money to get to work on the water problem the advisor had mentioned. With the flick of a pen, another water pump was placed next to all the rest.

Practically as soon as it was placed, though, another advisor brought up that businesses were looking to the sky. They wanted a municipal airport to bring in business.

Mayor Myth had absolutely no idea about airports. It sounded like a good idea, but just to be on the safe side, he put down a simple landing strip instead of a full-on airport. Unfortunately, when they were naming it, nobody could read the mayor’s handwriting and so Constertaion Airport was founded near the coastside avenue (Honestly wondering how I managed to misspell it that badly and not notice until I uploaded the image).

The next issue in Mayor Myth’s rule was power. The previous mayor had left the city with just enough power to get by until the end of his term, and the effects of that were now being felt. The choice of power plant was difficult. On the one hand, oil and coal had served the city well in its lifetime thus far. On the other hand, Myth was an environmentally conscious mayor. The usual downsides of environmental options, relative inefficiency and cost, were ultimately deemed to be acceptable, considering the city’s huge cash surplus, and so Fort Consternation’s first solar power plant was created near some high-tech areas in Southside. It seemed to be a tradition to name power plants after the person who created them, and so the solar plant was named Mythmonster Memorial Clean Energy, or MMM for short.

The power plant’s construction was also accompanied by the zoning of residential, commercial, and high-tech industrial areas nearby. Southside was beginning to expand into the farmland that had been the city’s birthplace.

More water problems soon struck the city. Another large water pump to accompany the first was very tempting, but considering the city had likely reached a high point in its growth, the amount of water that would be generated by two of them would be far too excessive. Two regular water pumps were placed, and that seemed adequate for the rest of Myth’s term.

Problems upon problems seemed to keep on striking the Myth administration. A strike at the Fort Consternation Medical Center was brought on by insufficient funding. Indeed, closer examination showed that the hospital was nearly 1,000 patients over its capacity, even with maximum funding! With the city still reporting a robust income, the mayor saw no problem in placing another large medical center closeby. MMM Medical Centre was enough to put down the strike, and the people in the area could be healthy once more.

Unfortunately, I couldn’t grab a picture of this, but a request was made for the landing strip to be expanded. Now, for some reason, the capacity used at the airport had been staying at 0 since I’d built it, so I went to hit deny. However, I ended up clicking accept by accident. Fortunately, though, this did seem to fix the capacity, since it actually went above 0 after it became a medium landing strip. Another oddity I did catch was the new residential development I ordered in Southside being a bit uncooperative.

Yet more problems! Specifically, another strike, this time at MoreEpicThanYou healthcare. The treatment was the same as for the last strike, with Southside Medical Center placed nearby.

Fed up with all these strikes, Myth noticed that there was a Disease Research Center available for placement. Not entirely sure of what it did, but knowing it was related to health, he officially opened Ft. Con. Disease Research Center near the MMM Clean Energy.

Then there was, surprisingly, peace for a time. The city quietly developed, with no water, energy, or health problems. Unfortunately, quiet was boring. So, an expansion began, to claim the area near the water pumps. First, leveling crews were brought in under the guise of streets. Unfortunately…

Things didn’t go quite to plan. Nevertheless, lemonade was made out of lemons, and this new completely flat area was zoned into industry. Nearby flattening went more peacefully, providing a gentle gradient rather than sheer cliffs.

It was at this point that the Mountain obtained sentience and filed a complaint to dezone its land, which apparently went through somehow, even though development had already begun.

(No clue what happened there. The area suddenly appeared dezoned, and I was unable to rezone it. Fortunately, it did resolve itself.)

Southside also underwent more expansion. Some farms were destroyed, and residential, commercial, and industrial lands were zoned out of the open area. A bunch of farmers would not stop the drumbeat of city progress! Schools, a clinic, and a small police station were placed to make the new development attractive to richer folk.

The landfill was briefly filled to burst, but that problem was quickly resolved. A much more pressing problem was the distressingly widespread abandonment of high wealth buildings, the majority in Southside. The main complaint, as it was at the beginning of the term, was high commute times. The train system was already working overtime, so a new solution would have to be found. That solution, after much debilitation and thinking, was the establishment of the Southside Subway. It cost quite the pretty penny to place everything, but when it was finished, it had three stations in residential areas, two in commercial areas, and one in a high-tech industrial park.

The last few months of Myth’s term were quiet. A small amount of industry was zoned near the northern edge of the city, and an extra water pump was placed preemptively. Finally, as his term grew to an end, Myth went out with a splash of money and placed the Smith Tower near the Minor League Stadium, mainly for the hell of it.

Fort Consternation
Mayor: Quintillus
Population: 214,710 (+30,101)
Funds: $401,901 (+$108,314) – Yes, even with the landmark and subway system, the city’s cash grew by over $100,000!
Mayor Rating: 11/12 (No change)

The main problem in the city is still traffic, even with the train system. We have a huge amount of cash to be spent, so if someone more experienced than I wants to go on a spending spree to solve that problem with mass transit, feel free. I did end up mostly focusing on Southside during my term, perhaps because it's practically a mini-city by itself, or perhaps because the rest of the city seemed mostly okay. Either way, good luck to Quintillus!

EDIT: Whoops, forgot the file. Let's get that on there, shall we?
EDIT2: I appear to be suffering difficulties with the CFC attachment thingamajig. Can anyone else suggest another way of uploading files?

Very prudent and efficient work! With such obscene amount of cash i would have built JFK airport on steroids.

About uploading the file what about mediafire, 4shared, uploaded or someone like that?

Nice work! I did think about subways, but I'm more of a railway kind of guy. Sorry about the whole no power, no water, teetering on the edge of collapse kind of situation I left you, I must have been suffering lame duck syndrome or something.

It seems like the file sizes is probably greater that 10MB- I knew one day this would happen and still I am unprepared! I think Thorgalaeg is onto something though.

Yep, we could upload the files there the same as we upload images to imageshack. To simplify it even more an account could be created, posting username and pass here so everybody upload his files into the same place.

Works great. :goodjob:

Nice new development! Over 200,000 people and a near-limitless supply of money... not a bad welcoming present. I think one of my main tasks shall be building out the subway in hopes of solving some of the transport issues.

I'm OK with the farms gradually being replaced, too. I'd planned to do it myself if they were still around when I became mayor again. And at least that's rather sightly development... I feel sorry for the people who bought the seaside property by the lighthouse and now have industry in their view of the coast. Though not too sorry since many of the buildings were abandoned due to commute time anyway.

Nice graphs, too. I'm happy to preside over increasing water pollution, decreasing air pollution, falling levels of education, and a burgeoning middle class!

I'll take my turn tonight tomorrow... I'm at the Fort Consternation regional airport currently.

Edit: I'm more tired than I expected this evening, I'm going to head to sleep early and take the turn tomorrow. Don't want to be driving a new subway train while drowsy!

Spoiler Load story and images :

The Mayor made a quick pie chart of the types of fuel used to power the city:

Three-quarters heavily-polluting fossil fuels, and half of the rest from garbage! Lovely! However, even though the city was awash with cash, the mayor didn't want to spend too many simoleons on power. The future was not fusion, nor was it solar - at least, not yet. Instead, the Mayor commissioned the city's first moderately-polluting natural gas power plant.

The Mayor was pleased to find that the natural gas power plant was in fact profitable. By running the other plants closer to designed capacity, the city was now spending slightly less on power while having slightly more available. Just think how much money a coal plant would have saved!

The Mayor's other day-one actions were to implement a tourism promotion program at a low cost of 50 simoleons per month. Visit civfanatics.com for more details! And, yes, to double dirty industry tax. Fort Consternation would be transformed in the next five years.

In February, a petition for a larger landing strip was denied. The need was demonstrated, but the Mayor had larger plans than a puny landing strip!

The Mayor also decided to prune costs. He saw that some areas were spending way more than necessary on healthcare.

While having more doctors than patients in Peck's Retreat may have been nice, Sims were already complaining about high health insurance costs, so this couldn't continue!

When all was said and done, 1800 simoleons per month, or a sixth of the healthcare budget, was trimmed, while keeping coverage for everyone already receiving it. The Mayor turned down an offer to overhaul Medicaid in favor of staying in Fort Consternation.

The Mayor was amused to find the following elementary school with one student:

Apparently very few families with young children decided to live in Peck's Resort. In fact, the schools in general were under-enrolled. The one exception was that students were clamoring to get into MoreEpicThanYou Memorial High School.

All said, the Mayor cut another 1800 simoleons per month from education, a seventh of its budget. Simultaneously deciding to cut manufacturing taxes to 7%, he soon found himself being invited to tea parties everywhere.

The Airport petitioners came again in March, so the Mayor decided to let them expand the airstrip for now. But soon, it would be obsolete!

In April, the Mayor commissioned the first major construction project of his term - and it proved to be major indeed! The Fort Consternation Intra-City Highway System!

The plan with the initial highway was to both relieve congestion and reduce commute times between the original heart of the city and the beachfront area. The old avenues were near capacity, and had enough streets crossing them to slow down traffic considerably. With the new highway, getting from one end of the city to the other should be a breeze.

The Mayor had hoped to expand the highway farther, north into METY Memorial Hill's industry and past the baseball stadium, and south both via the farms and over the hills to link to the south side. But the cost of the highway, the interchanges, and the rights-of-way proved to be much higher than anticipated, so for now the Mayor was going to see how the first stretch of highway was received.

The construction did cause much destruction as well. The railroad had to be re-routed, but all stops would be kept. A medical center was demolished, but rebuilt right near an off-ramp that should allow quicker access. And Uncle Peck's Mass Education Facility, as well as a couple of other schools, met their doom. But they were rebuilt, much to the dismay of the students.

In the summer of that first year, the Mayor witnessed the opening of the first commercial skyscraper in Fort Consternation!

Celebratory helicopter rides were given, and the mayor thought perhaps expanding the landing strip was paying off after all.

Year Two of the term began with an anti-pollution crusade.

Adios, dirty industry! Though there still would be some on METY hill and by the coal plants - the Mayor didn't want to be too drastic in taking it out all at once.

The immediate effects of this were mass unemployment, and a greater-than-20% drop in air and water pollution.

By summer, manufacturing was moving in, so the Mayor was pleased.

So were the students at MoreEpicThanYouMemorial High School, for that spring their teachers had gone on strike. Unfortunately for them, this led to a new high school being constructed in the area.

That same summer, the Mayor established the Circle Line around Central Park.

Someday, the subway networks would meet. For now, small-scale subways!

Another hill was flattened in the fall to make room for more commerce.

By January of Year 3, the highway was proving immensely popular - too popular for its main feeder in the beach area.

10,000 cars... that's too much even for a one-way road. Congestion was, needless to say, horrendous. For the time being, the solution was to redesign the highway in the area to add a third on-ramp, and thus decrease the dependence on the one-way street.

The Beach Line subway was opened that summer.

It was hoped that this, too, would aid congestion issues in the area. The Circle Line had already proven immensely popular.

Spring of the fourth year saw funds allocated for Fort Consternation International Airport.

And so it was that the end of the farms' time was signaled. There was simply no other flat, open space for an airport. Avenues now went past the farms, and one linked up with the built-up areas as well. Traffic at the airport was soon well past what the landing strip could have handled. And there was even a call for a convention center! This was built along a new avenue a few months after the airport opened.

The Mayor was pleased that it was now possible to take trips nearly wherever you wished from Fort Consternation.

In the summer, the Mayor built the Industrial Line of the subway. This was connected with the Circle Line and Beach Line to form a complete system, outside of the Southside Subway.

Late that year, the subway network was extended so that the Industrial Line would reach the Southside Line via an elevated rail connection at the airport.

You could now get to any part of Fort Consternation via the Underground! Admittedly, there were still a lot of areas that weren't within walking distance yet, but it was a good start.

To begin his last year in office, the Mayor targeted the first new hamlet that had been built for vertical growth.

First a subway was added, then permission granted for high-rises.

Sadly, nothing was to come of this zoning. A recession hit Fort Consternation in the Mayor's last year, with 10,000 people leaving the city and several businesses closing. In typical lame duck fashion, the mayor did nothing. Well, not quite nothing...

He didn't fiddle while Fort Consternation burned, instead dispatching many fire trucks. Ah, the good old days of frequent fires!

So it was that the mayor left Fort Consternation a smaller city than it had been by a small margin, but with big-city infrastructure. The Mayor liked to describe this term with the following graph:

Of course, that didn't show that nearly as many cars were on the road as before, and the change was mostly from busses and trains. It also didn't show that Fort Consternation now had ferry traffic of a couple dozen people per day. But the Mayor would take the subway's steady progress!

The Mayor had also learned that in a big city, highways and subways were expensive. Probably half a million simoleons had been spent between highways, subways, and the new airport. About a quarter million alone had gone to the initial highway buildout. Fortunately, the city wasn't broke.

Fort Consternation

Population: 211,619 (-3091)
Funds: $239,331 (-162,570)
Mayor Rating: 11/12 (no change)
Mayor: MoreEpicThanYou

Link to city: http://www.mediafire.com/?su2r2i547425hf2

Top Bottom