Sim City (4) Succession Session!

You guys should really install the Yellow Pause Thingy Remover.

Yeah let's go through the hassle of getting everybody to download a small mod and hope it doesn't break compatibility between the players just for this minor annoyance I hadn't even noticed.

Yes the odds of breaking the compatibility is very low I know... but really... now.

I don't have time to post the update today, but I finished playing.

I destroyed all the farms. All of them. Every last one.

Awesome work, Quintillus! I knew highways would have to be built sooner or later and that looks like a pretty nifty system. The subway to elevated rail looks cool, too- I've never had the need to build one before

As to the yellow pause thing controversy, personally I avoid it (some of the time) by taking screenshots while the game is running, then pausing it again to regain composure however this does have the downside of overrunning your turn, among other things...

@METY: Good Lord! :faint:

All of them? Even Quintillus's Orange Grove? That I designated as historical way back more than half a century ago? :cry:

The only solution is to evict all the residents so there is agricultural demand once more! (j/k)

Glad you like the highway, Peck. It took forever to build. Mostly due to the T intersections, which I'd never built before, and the gradients - getting both the highway and the railroad to be happy with the grades wasn't as easy as might be hoped.

I'd never built elevated rail before, so I hadn't built a transition, either. Mostly I did it because it looked cool and we had the land. The lower upfront price was also a nice benefit given all the spending elsewhere.

I didn't know you had an orange grove! I did notice the little Lutheran Church around that little farming settlement, though, I thought that was a nice touch.

Also, if anything's happened to my country retreat (historical agricultural building near the country club) I will not be happy

That subway is horribly designed. By building the stations on top of the lines, the game will assume that the trains must stop at every single entrance on a route from point A to B, thus making it inefficient. You want to build it so that the entrances are next to the route, which will allow the traffic algorithm to bypass irrelevant stops, speeding it up.

I read something to that effect not long ago about sims being unable to simply stay on the train until it's their stop and I think my (otherwise glorious) railway system suffers a similar problem

Ah, well, hopefully someone can take care of that in the future. I was not aware of that error when I designed the subway system, either.

The "country" club is currently surrounded by middle-class homes to the west and a Research Somethingangle Park to the east. :p

Update coming tonight!

Yes! Once again, I have been re-elected, even though it had to be with the Swag Party. But during my exile time out of office, I had a revelation. I MUST KILL ALL THE FARMS. ALL OF THEM. NO EXCEPTIONS! I began my campaign around the more liberal parts of the city, and grew after a series of anti-Farm rallies. Finally, after convincing everyone that it was Farms that set fire to the Fortstag, I was elected. The City Council signed the Enabling Acts: enabling the Mayor to destroy any Farm he wishes. And so, my third term began.

I'll begin my quest to destroy ALL THE FARMS by creating a commercial/residential area similar to Southside. The citizens named the neighborhood "Swagful Farms", after the Farms that previously occupied the land. Too bad I can't stop any pro-Farm propaganda... yet...

In other news, I have perfected the art of INDUSTRIAL TERRACING! It's the future in land development.

Everyone kept begging me for a new power plant, so I built MoreEpicThanYou Memorial CLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAN Energy. My advisers told me to emphasize the cleanliness.

Another thing people kept begging for was more health care, so I built the second MoreEpicThanYou Memorial Hospital near an old Farm.

The military might be giving us free money, but they never said we couldn't put a new landfill right outside it!

Ah, the fire department is so efficient I didn't even have time to take a picture of the fire!

What? I just BUILT a damn power plant. But if you want it that badly...

...then overkill it is. MoreEpicThanYou's Goddamn Power Plants are open for business.

I have a plan. A plan to make the rich EXPLODE all over Farm territory. First, I ensure that no more dirty industry will soil the land...

Then, I zoned some industry around a base, as a start as a new City (Industrial) Park.

More commercial zones will help bring in the cash.

I replaced a Farm with even CLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEANer Energy! Because nobody seems to have enough power plants.

After some expansion, the Industrial Park seems to be a success! It's all hi-tech, aside from the part closest to the base, which is manufacturing.

It was so successful that I had to expand it even more, creating the Research Somethingangle Park. IT PRINTS MONEY!

More residential areas to destroy ALL THE FARMS. ALL OF THEM. :::: )

These are most of my accomplishments, and I would say that I succeeded with my goal for this session! The people cheer for me as they cart me out of the mayoral mansion and back into the insane asylum. See you next time!

Fort Consternation

Population: 287,143 (+75524) :eek:
Funds: $100,581 (-138,750)
Mayor Rating: 11/12 (no change)
Mayor: germanicus12

Save: http://www.mediafire.com/?86il4df4zpaukv8

Now, I remember in SimCity 2000 that zoning pretty much anything besides low density stuff next to an airport will cause a lot of airplane crashes. Or at least that's what I've heard. Is that still true in SimCity 4?

The farms :(.

I wonder... do your favorite Civ tactics happen to include Infinite City Sprawl? That seems to be a common pattern... at least one hill gets obliterated by industry every time you are mayor, regardless of the terrain. I can't claim to be a fan of the aesthetics (though I like the lack of dirty industry this time around), but the effectiveness at increasing population is undeniable.

Impressive that you spent nearly as much as I did, and probably with higher revenues. Was most of it for the zoning and the solar plant?

Peck of Arabia said:
I didn't know you had an orange grove! I did notice the little Lutheran Church around that little farming settlement, though, I thought that was a nice touch.

I did! Oranges can be pretty tasty, so I decided to claim one of those farms, and made sure when constructing the farm avenue that it wasn't adversely affected. I see my orange grove is now home to office buildings :(.

Omega124 said:
That subway is horribly designed. By building the stations on top of the lines, the game will assume that the trains must stop at every single entrance on a route from point A to B, thus making it inefficient. You want to build it so that the entrances are next to the route, which will allow the traffic algorithm to bypass irrelevant stops, speeding it up.

I didn't know that. I actually designed the subway how you described in my own single-player city, but then I thought, that's silly, in real life, the station is on the route, not on a spur off of it. So for Fort Consternation, I built subway lines where the station is on the route.

Relating to real life though, doesn't it make sense for the train to stop at every station? That's how the subways I've been on worked, unless the station was closed for some reason. Of course you can't set up formal subway routes in Sim City, but I wouldn't have thought that stopping at every route would be problematic.

mythmonster2 said:
Now, I remember in SimCity 2000 that zoning pretty much anything besides low density stuff next to an airport will cause a lot of airplane crashes. Or at least that's what I've heard. Is that still true in SimCity 4?

:lol: I have no idea, but this could get interesting if it is still true!

As much I would hate to deprive my citizens of my rule, I do not have the time for the next 2 weeks to do anything. So go ahead and skip my turn.

Same here. Fell free to proceed mayor Peck.

And proceed I shall! Hopefully I'll update later tonight- in the meantime here's a picture of the city as I inherited it:

Spoiler :

As an aside, I did something similar to this with some friends I went to visit the other weekend, where we each had five minutes at the controls before the next person took over. It was great fun and I'd thoroughly recommend it, especially after a few drinks

Top Bottom