[Map Script] LandMasses

New version uploaded and available at the top of the page.

Changes:

# Resources:
#
# Customising 'ResourceTiles' now allows the user to distinguish between coastal and ocean tiles.
# Customising 'Resource Land Masses' now allows water based resources to be assigned to particular land masses. Previously, customising the options so that water based resources were isolated to single land masses was ineffective.
# Introduced two new options: 'How many Land Masses' and 'Let Resources Clump'.
#
# 'How Many Land Masses':
# If a resource is selected to be isolated - not placed on all land masses - this options allows the user to determine how many the resource will be placed on.
# - Assigned to x land masses: Isolated resources are placed on x of the land masses. If x exceeds the number of land masses generated then no resources will be isolated; all resources selected for isolation may be generated on all land masses. Note that x only goes as far as 8. An alternative choice (listed below) exists if the user wants to place a resource on 9 out of 10 land masses.
# - Assigned to half the land masses: Isolated resources are placed on half of the generated land masses.
# - Assigned to all but one land mass: But for one land mass, an isolated resource may be placed anywhere.
# - Custom: Like all resource options, the ability to customise the effects of this option are available to users willing to edit this script with Python. Custom allows different resources to be isolated to different numbers of land masses (though the user must also make sure to set the appropriate resources to be isolated in the first place). Left unedited, this choice will assign isolated resources to just one land mass.
# Note that the map script is not guaranteed to generate the predefined number of landmasses so setting this option to 'assigned to x land masses' where x is a larger number may simply allow isolated resource to be generated everywhere.
#
# 'Let Resources Clump':
# This determines whether or not two of any one resource are allowed to be placed near each other.
# If clumping is disabled for a resource then a city's fat cross may only contain two of the resource in the following situations:
# 1) .......
# ..rYY..
# .YYYYY.
# .YYcYY.
# .YYYYY.
# ..YYYr.
# .......
#
# 2) .......
# ..YYY..
# .rYYYY.
# .YYcYY.
# .YYYYY.
# ..YYYr.
# .......
# where 'r' marks a resource, 'Y' marks a tile inside the city's fat cross, and 'c' marks the city tile.
# Options:
# - Standard: Attempts to approximate standard resource placement. Only luxury resources may be placed near each other.
# - Strategic: Only strategic resources may be placed near each other.
# - Health: Only health resources may be placed near each other.
# - Luxury: Only luxury resources may be placed near each other.
# - Strategic/Health: Only strategic and health resources may be placed near each other.
# - Strategic/Luxury: Only strategic and luxury resources may be placed near each other.
# - Health/Luxury: Only health and luxury resources may be placed near each other.
# - Strategic/Health/Luxury: All resources may be placed near each other.
# - Custom: The map script can be easily edited (as with other resource options) so that the user can decide which resources may be clumped. 'Custom' uses the user-edited clumped resources instead of one of the predefined options. If no editing has taken place, 'custom' uses the 'standard' option.

New version uploaded and available at the top of the thread:

Changes:

# Lands:
#
# Reduced the options 'Mountain Ranges:' and 'Changes in Altitude' down to a single option. There is no longer a range of options for choosing the degree to which hills and peaks congregate together, just the choice as to whether or not they should clump together.
#
# Terrain:
#
# Reworked terrain options. Fantasy option excluded, all terrain types use the standard terrain generator but apply different values to certain variables.
# Options:
# - Cool, Temperate, Warm: These determine how far from the equator ice and tundra are generated. Temperate generates both terrains at the normal latitudes. Cool generates both terrains closer to the equator. Warm generates both terrains further from the equator.
# - More desert, normal desert, less desert: How many desert tiles are generated. More desert generates roughly 50% more than usual. Less desert generates roughly 50% less than usual.
# - More plains, normal plains, less plains: How many plains tiles are generated. More plains generates roughly 50% more than usual. Less plains generates roughly 50% less than usual.
# - Fantasy: Places all land terrains randomly. Water terrain - coast or ocean - remain unchanged.
#
# Terrain Homogeneity determines how clumped each terrain type is. This option is ignored if Fantasy has been chosen.
#
# Features:
#
# An option, "Woodlands:", is now available to control the amount of forest and jungle features generated. Similar to the newly added terrain options, this works by giving the standard feature generator different values to work with.
# - More jungle, normal jungle, less juugle: More jungle generates more jungle than normal. Less jungle generates less jungle than normal.
# - More forest, normal forest, less forest: More forest generates more forests than normal. Less forest generates less forests than normal.
#
# An option, "Flood Plains:", is now available to give some control over placement of flood plains.
# - 'Normal flood plains placement' only places on flat, riverside desert tiles.
# - 'Extra flood plains' also places flood plains on flat, riverside grassland, plains, and tundra tiles.
#
# Resources:
#
# Setting both 'Resource Land Masses' and 'Resource Tiles' to 'Standard' will no longer deactivate all other resource options. Setting 'Resources' to 'Standard - ignore resource options' is now the only way to do this.

Looks like a nice map script Thedrin, but could you do a simple readme description for each staging room function, much like the original map guide done by Sirian. Your map has alot of promise for multiplayer I think as on Cust Con, you didn't have all these options. I'm not sure if i missed it, but is there options for putting teams together on the landmasses?

CS

I haven't used multiplayer in a long time so some of the terms are a bit foreign to me.

staging room function

My guess is that a staging room function is the same as a map option in the single player custom game set up menu. Let me know if this is inaccurate. If it's accurate, as far as I'm aware all of the options are described in the read me that should be contained within the zip file that LandMasses comes in.

If I've missed an option in the read me or if an option isn't adequately described, let me know and I'll expand on it here and include further details in the next version of the read me.

I'm not sure if i missed it, but is there options for putting teams together on the landmasses?

Putting all members of a multiple-civ team on a single continent? Currently LandMasses makes use of basic civ placement code so this option isn't yet available. In the short term I could look into giving the option to use the civ placement code from custom continents but I have no idea if this will work well. Long term, Id like to be putting together a civ placement code which would allow for particular civ placement arrangements and terra style games.

The next version may not go up for a while since I'm starting a new job soon and won't have as much time to work on the map script as I've had lately. What little time I'm currently putting into LandMasses is going into reworking continent placement. I'm aiming for faster land generation, more varied continents, and to increase the number of continents that can be placed on a map (not so the requested number of continents can extend past 20 but because currently it doesn't always place all of the requested continents).

FINALLY a proper map script... Instead of that continents thing. Great job :goodjob:

Well hopefully you get the chance to add team start options for this map, that is the only thing keeping it from being a good MP map.

CS

Changes (no civ placement options added in so far):

# Lands:
#
# Corrected an error which resulted in more than the selected percentage of ocean being generated. Previously, the amount of land generated was a fraction of (width - 4)*(height - 4). Now the amount of land generated is a fraction of width*height. This can lead to a lot more land being generated than previously. Since the amount of hills and peaks generated is also determined by the amount of land generated, more of these will be generated, though the percentage should be unchanged. The user may prefer to switch the ocean setting to a higher percentage.
#
# Reworked the code placing the initial tile of each continent. Alterations:
# - generating a small number of continents on a larger map size may take longer than previously.
# - generating a large number of continents should take a lot quicker than previously.
# - it is more likely that all requested continents are placed.
# - land masses should be more varied in shape.
#
# Added a new option, "Continent Placement:":
# - 'Normal continent placement' will place the initial tile of each continent randomly.
# - 'More rounded land masses' will generate land masses which tend to be more circular.
# - 'More snaky land masses' will generate land masses which tend to be longer and more stretched.
# Notes:
# 1) This option only affects land masses which contain 3 continents or more:
# - Selecting 2 land masses, 4 continents, and evenly distributed continents will leave the land mass shape unaffected by the Continent Placement options 'more rounded land masses' and 'more snaky land masses'.
# - Selecting 2 land masses, 6 continents, and evenly distributed continents will mean that the placement of the first tile of the last continent on each land mass will be affected by the Continent Placement options 'more rounded land masses' and 'more snake land masses'.
# - Selecting 2 land masses, 5 continents, and evenly distributed continents will mean that the placement of the first tile of the last continent on one land mass will be affected by the Continent Placement options 'more rounded land masses' and 'more snake land masses'.
# 2) The more continents placed on a land mass, the more noticeable the affects of the options 'more rounded land masses' and 'more snaky land masses'.
# - Selecting 2 land masses, 20 continents, and evenly distributed continents will make the affects of 'more rounded land masses' and 'more snaky land masses' more obvious than if 2 land masses, 8 continents, and evenly distributed continents, or 5 land masses, 20 continents, and evenly distributed continents had been selected.

Changes:

# Lands:
#
# Since pre-2.7 LandMasses rarely produced more than 7 continents on huge maps but LandMasses 2.7 can easily generate 20 continents on a standard size map, mountain ranges in maps generated with a large numbers of continents for every land mass aren't as well defined as they were previously (which, I think, removes any point in including that feature). A new option has been added to the Mountain Ranges option called 'ranges' (what was previously called ranges has been renamed 'all ranges').
# - ranges will select between 3 and 5 continents which will increase the altitude of land plots already created by other continents.
# - all ranges will, as before, cause all continents to increase the altitude of any land plot already created by other continents.
# Note:
# 1) using ranges, a mountain range produced between two continents may not be as clearly defined as one produced in pre-2.7 LandMasses since the extra altitude may only be generated by one of the two continents.

Wow. What a great script. This makes me play more Civ. I like this game but im always annoyed by the square, unsurprising maps. I've been using this for the last month and I will never use something else. This new version will make this even better :)

I especially like the way the landmasses are formed. In CIV 99 out of 100 map generations are always blocks and very structured.

Thank you and firaxis should contact you :p

On thing I would like that there would be something like 1 indonesia per map. I've had it once and that was cool. There were like 5 landmasses and 2 of them were connected with small 2~4 square islands. The rest was not connected untill caravels. Maybe you an idea for the future is to divide the map in to pieces (like 4 or something) and have different generation for each piece. Or maybe im going to far and would this idea make the script worse because as it is it is great.

Hehe. Bye

I especially like the way the landmasses are formed. In CIV 99 out of 100 map generations are always blocks and very structured.

Thank you and firaxis should contact you :p

Thanks, but the general shape of each land mass is still based on two pieces of code written by Surt for SmartMap.

On thing I would like that there would be something like 1 indonesia per map. I've had it once and that was cool. There were like 5 landmasses and 2 of them were connected with small 2~4 square islands. The rest was not connected untill caravels. Maybe you an idea for the future is to divide the map in to pieces (like 4 or something) and have different generation for each piece. Or maybe im going to far and would this idea make the script worse because as it is it is great.

Unfortunately, that idea is too far removed from how LandMasses works. But I've seen the Indonesia affect a couple of times and I like it. I don't know how to go about forcing continent-to-archipelago features to appear and if I do figure out a way I'll probably just slip it into the existing coastline options. For the moment the best you can do is use settings which are more likely to generate such features - 'no overseas trade before astronomy', high ocean, and 'rugged' would probably have the best chances of producing it.

New version uploaded and available at the top of the page.

Changes:

# Lands:
#
# Increased the likelihood of Indonesia-like continent-to-archipelago formations being generated under certain settings More specifically, when Coastlines is set to 'rougher' there is an increased chance of such formations being generated and when Coastlines is set to rugged there is a further increased chance of such formations being generated.

(Note: there's a lot more to starting positions than I realised at first. Such changes may not happen for a while)

Hi guys.
I tried to find some way to get really big map and here I am. However, it seems to constantly fail for me.
I have Warlords 2.08.
Might it be related to fact that I have 64bit Vista's(but vanilla warlords seems to work fine so far)?
Initialization seems to pass, but I never get to phase to press the begin button.

Hi.
I tried some smaller maps yesterday and finally it worked. Originally I was trying maps with width 220-240 and height 200-240.
I tried changing some local settings as it was suggested some versions of vista might have troubles with some versions of civ with some delimiters, on next attempt it worked once, but as I left auto leader it was Korea and I wanted Seals later, so tried again and not any luck with Roosevelt until I lowered settings.
I tried it on notebook with XP's but it was same.
However it appears maps are big enough even so...
In fact it appears rebels have viped out quite some ammount of civs(lot big continents with raging barbarians).

Sorry, but I'm uncertain about what you're saying. Are you able to create maps that are large enough for your liking, and it's just larger maps that don't work? Or are you still unable to create any maps at all? If it's the first then you probably can't create maps over a certain size due to the limits of your computer. If it's the second then I have no idea what the problem is.

hI I love your scripts, but with this latest one I can only get it to run one time before it stales my computer. it will show the initialization screen and the Civilization4 paper backdrop but it wont do anything from there... I can here Nimoy's voice but even when I try to do Ctrl+Alt+Del it doesnt do anything.

I have 2 gigs of ram and an AMD 64 x2 4200.

I have triied all configurations and it always happens the second time. is there a reason for this?
Thx

Latest version? Do you mean that it was working fine with versions available before May 12th (the last time the script was updated) or did you begin to experience problems before that?

Top Bottom