Quick Questions and Answers

Haven't measured it precisely, but the gold appears to be roughly comparable to what you would get if you had left the city producing wealth instead of trying to build the wonder (IIRC, produce wealth converts 25% of production to gold, so the consolation prize is quite modest).

How much of the :c5production: gets converted to gold? Is it 100%?

I disagree with Browd's response.*
It IS a one-to-one conversion of hammers invested to gold. I have occasionally actually worked on a wonder for the purpose of the gold on losing out to another civ.

CAVEAT: REMOVING the wonder from the build queue MAY cancel any gold compensation -- I don't recall.

Yes, assigning production to gold or research garners 25%.

*Sorry Browd, it seems you should play more, or more intensely ....
Or am I just a 'symptom' of OCD?

I just don't lose many wonders :D

Of course, not going for many wonders helps....

EDIT: Just fired up a Deity game and went for GL. Lost it (of course), when I had 179 gold in treasury, and 119 hammers invested in GL (and earning 6 gpt and producing 9 hammers per turn) -- ended up with 304 gold in treasury, which equals 179 + 6 (from gpt run-rate) + 119. So the wonder-hammers-to-gold conversion ratio is 100%. :goodjob: to Jaybe.

I then reloaded two turns back and switched from GL to a granary. Had 110 hammers in the GL, and still had 9-hammer and 6-gpt run-rates. Two turns later when GL went, gold went to 295, which is 9 less gold (which is still 100% conversion, since I invested 9 fewer hammers in GL). So, yes, you do get 100% wonder-fail hammers-to-gold conversion when you switch off building the wonder.

Yes, they do. But once promoted, the range promotion (from Longbows) means the gatlings have a 2-tile range, not the 3-tile range they enjoyed before being promoted.

So, yes, you do get 100% wonder-fail hammers-to-gold conversion when you switch off building the wonder.

Okay, but wouldn’t most players would value gold:hammers at least a 2:1 ratio? Early in the game, one cannot “build” wealth. But if you could, would you not have made lots more than 119 gold?

At 25% conversion ratio, I think "produce wealth" yields far less than wonder-fail gold. Of course, at that stage of the game, produce wealth is not available (not unlocked until Guilds), and there are so many other things you would have wished you were building instead of the wonder you lost.

For example, a generic library only costs 75 hammers to build, but 400 gold to buy (a fairly steep 5.33 gold to hammer ratio -- rush-buying two archers (also 400 gold) is a bit cheaper at a ratio of 5 gold per hammer), so earning 1 gold per hammer is nowhere near enough to rush-buy a library. Far better to hard-build a library (9 turns @ 9 hammers per turn, with some overflow hammers) and a granary (60 hammers, or about 6 turns with the overflow hammers from the library) than to invest (in my test) roughly 14 turns in GL to generate 119 of wonder-fail gold.

I want to download the mod new civs, Israel, Vikings, Texans, Canadians.
If I download:

1) Will it remove or delete all my current saved games?

2) Are you able to download multiple mods of the same civ (3 Israel's) or just one at a time?

1. No, it will not delete or move any saved games. Mods are stored in a different folder from save games.

2. You can download multiple mods of the same civ (they will be separate files in the Mods folder).

To play mods, you go through the Mods menu to specify which mods you want to use for a specific game, so you are free to select one Israel mod for one game and a different Israel mod for a second game.

First, I assume you are not playing on a Mac. If so, visit the Civ V - Mac forum -- there is a sticky thread with instructions on how to deal with Mods on a Mac.

For Windows, fire up Steam, go to Library, and navigate to Civ V -- that page should have (among other things) a prominent section for the Civ V Steam Workshop. Select browse the workshop and rummage around. When you find mods you like, click the Subscribe button. Steam will automatically download the mods to the correct folder (although there are download glitches from time to time, so it may take a while for mods to show up).

If you are already in game, go to the main menu and click Mods. After the warning screen you will see what will probably be an empty screen (since you have no mods yet). Click browse at the bottom of the screen and it will take you to the Civ V Steam Workshop. Browse and subscribe from there.
Big problems.

I've been playing CIV5 BNW on a desktop Windows 8 and Laptop Windows 7.
No real problems until this evening, when I tried playing CIV5 on the Laptop and while I could get into the main menu>>>load game>>>single player

My game never loaded. It just stood there for 20 minutes, I tried again, the same thing happened. Both times, as I clicked load shortly after I heard a "chimming" sound from Windows with this message:

Quote:
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

Program:...apps\common\Sid Meier's Civlization V\CivilizationV.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.
The same thing happened on the desktop with Windows 8...first...I tired to load my game from steam cloud, and it could not load because the mods I installed yesterday on my laptop (4) were not loaded on this PC.
So I went to load the mods, and then boom, got the same error.

I got rid of the mods, but then steam cloud was empty. I got them back, and the error was back.

What is happening? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

At 25% conversion ratio, I think "produce wealth" yields far less than wonder-fail gold.

Well, at least wonder-fail gold is not as terrible as I thought! But it is not really relevant that 100% of hammers gets converted to gold, because...

Far better to hard-build a library (9 turns @ 9 hammers per turn, with some overflow hammers) and a granary (60 hammers, or about 6 turns with the overflow hammers from the library) than to invest (in my test) roughly 14 turns in GL to generate 119 of wonder-fail gold.

This really illustrate how high is the (lost) opportunity cost of missing an early wonder. If you are playing at a sufficiently challenging level, losing 14+ turns (even for 100+ gold) means you have lost the game.

Hi guys, I've lurked here for a long time but this is my first post!

I'm wondering what the hotkey is to reject a trade, or back out of the trade screen easily. I see Marbozir do it on his LPs but can't seem to figure it out. I would guess ESC or backspace would do it but those don't seem to work. Please help!

Heya, two questions from a not so experienced player... Not sure if these are bugs or just features that I don't know about...

How come I've seen AI civilizations have unique units of other civs? Saw a Swedish Great Merchant of Venice and a Persian Khan in my last game. Also saw the Korean special unit Hwach'a built by some other civilization in an earlier game, sadly I don't remember which civ it was but Korea wasn't even in the game.

And the other one... In another recent game I played, I got the pop-up that a wonder had been built by a far away civilization. The trouble here is, I had already discovered all civilizations (yes I'm 100% certain about this, had the map almost fully uncovered, the world congress had been founded so no way I hadn't met anyone, had embassies with all civ's so could see all the capitals... there's no way there was an unknown civilization left). I thought the ''far away civilization'' meant it's a civ you haven't met yet?

Got all the DLC on, wasn't using any mods in case that helps.

UUs are gifts from being allied with CS.

How come I've seen AI civilizations have unique units of other civs? Saw a Swedish Great Merchant of Venice and a Persian Khan in my last game.

Completing the Patronage tree causes allied CS to occasionally gift GP, and its not unusual for those GP to be UU.

Also saw the Korean special unit Hwach'a built by some other civilization in an earlier game, sadly I don't remember which civ it was but Korea wasn't even in the game.

Each Militaristic CS is associated with a UU from a civ not in the current game. Mouse-over their type description to see what they have to offer.

And the other one... In another recent game I played, I got the pop-up that a wonder had been built by a far away civilization. The trouble here is, I had already discovered all civilizations (yes I'm 100% certain about this, had the map almost fully uncovered, the world congress had been founded so no way I hadn't met anyone, had embassies with all civ's so could see all the capitals... there's no way there was an unknown civilization left).

That pop-up just means you have not located the city. A single hex of fog could do that.

When do CS's tend to spawn a worker on immortal/deity? (assuming not coast/no coastal resources so no work boat from them instead) I guess this depends on terrain but surely there are approximates for, say, tundra vs plains vs grassland

When do CS's tend to spawn a worker on immortal/deity? (assuming not coast/no coastal resources so no work boat from them instead) I guess this depends on terrain but surely there are approximates for, say, tundra vs plains vs grassland

from personal experience I'd say T20-T30, but earlier than that for AIs. Plus stealing from AIs are a bit better since you weaken them, unless they're totally aggressive. In other words, don't steal from Shaka.

Top Bottom