Most overrated World Wonder?

I'm not sure how someone could say Prora. This is an absolutely amazing wonder that has almost no competition. It provides about 10-14 happiness and a free social policy, exactly the things you want when you are going for conquest. It's absolutely awesome for those reasons.

Going with the threads tiltle of overrated implying that the wonder is actually highly rated (and therefore by default eliminating options like Pentagon and Angkor Wat), I would probably go with Big Ben. Obviously, the usefulnes of BB (as any wonder, in fact) depends a lot on dificulty level and play style, but as one who rarely buys things with gold in cities (I play Emperor), it's just not that essential to me. I'm not saying it's a bad wonder, but I have often seen people talking about it as a key wonder, and it's just very far from that for me.

Hanging Gardens :O

Naval food routes are just as good these days and no competition to build cargo ships.

I second Statue of Liberty. It isn't like the hammers are typically being put to good use at that point. Tough to say they are even useful for building spaceship parts when you can simply buy them. At least in a scenario like Prora, you need what you are getting (happiness in a domination game).

I actually tend to agree: With internal trade routes, the Hanging Gardens have lost a lot of their luster. It is still a good wonder, but nowhere near the power level it used to have.

Pyramids is not overrated. Every time I go tradition instead of liberty I really, really miss the super fast workerimprovments of witch pyras play a part.

I would say Porslain Tower and Hanging Gardens. They are nice but I don't think they are that good.

Hmm I ALWAYS built THG, but it's just because i'm sort of addicted to it. Been planning on skipping the wonder because it sometimes neglects getting my NC up at t70, which is a must for me. In my next game I'm going to skip THG and get my cargo ships up soon as possible. Think that is thé solution for nog getting my 4 cities up soon enough.

Most of the early wonders are overrated IMO, I only ever build Stonehenge (good hammer start), MoH (multiple stone/marble) and Great Lighthouse (Venice), things like ToA and Great Library are nice but it's not worth it (but I play on Huge, Immortal with 22 civs and 41 CS).

People talking trash on Stonehenge aren't really justified IMO, I've only built it 3 times in 100+ games where I didn't get a religion (again 22 civs) and even then it allows you another free wonder around T140ish because of the Engineer point. If I played with less civs I think Pyramids would be really good as well.

Here is the final result of best wonders from a past elimination thread for BNW:

45-Angkor Wat
44-Pentagon
43-CN Tower
42-Terracotta Army
41-Parthenon
40-Cristo Redentor
Red Fort
Taj Mahal
Statue of Zeus
Kremlin
Great Firewall
Great Wall
Great Mosque of Djenne
Himeji Castle
Great Lighthouse
Mausoleum of Halicarnassus
Pyramids
Brandenburg Gate
Great Library
Hagia Sophia
Sydney Opera House
Alhambra
Globe Theater
Big Ben
Borobudur
Prora
Broadway
Uffizi
Louvre
Porcelain Tower
Forbidden Palace
Hanging Gardens
Temple of Artemis
Stonehenge
Notre Dame
Colossus
Chichen Itza
Machu Picchu
Petra
Neuschwanstein
5-Hubble Space Telescope
4-Statue of Liberty
3-Eiffel Tower
2-Sistine Chapel
1-Leaning Tower of Pisa

From that list, my vote automatically go for Sistine Chapel and Eiffel Tower. They are only good for culture games. So they aren't for mp...big hit there too.

i am still unsure about great library of alexandria...but that might be i remember it for giving you any tech another civ learned that you hadnt got (not sure which civ version it did it in) until something else was researched. so maybe my past experience is why the civ 5 'just a free tech' version doesnt seem all that hot.

What a strange list. Some of the best wonders (like Taj Mahal) are at the bottom. Neuschwanstein? I've never built it.

I think this list is mostly based on experience against high level AI and how easy/hard it is to get a particular wonder. Some wonders are useless, some wonders are just plain hard to get. Neuschwanstein is by far the easiest wonder to get on any level and it provides a lot of happiness and gold. Taj Mahal on the other hand sits at a very awkward tech where you would rather be building Uffizi if you are going cultural, or porcelain tower if you are going science. Besides you would most likely be making factories and public schools at this moment that it is just hard to commit hammers to Taj Mahal.

Anyway, my evaluation:

45-Angkor Wat
44-Pentagon
43-CN Tower
42-Terracotta Army
41-Parthenon
40-Cristo Redentor
Red Fort (why is this better than 6 other wonders? Any wonder that encourages a passive turtling strategy is just bad)
Taj Mahal
Statue of Zeus
Kremlin
Great Firewall
Great Wall (underrated, perfect for glass cannon strategy, denies enemy great wall)
Great Mosque of Djenne
Himeji Castle
Great Lighthouse
Mausoleum of Halicarnassus (underrated, provides the crucial gold during a period where gold is scarce)
Pyramids (underrated, fast workers snow balls for your cities, combined with citizenship can be devastating)
Brandenburg Gate
Great Library (overrated, you'd get more science by founding two more cities at this point)
Hagia Sophia
Sydney Opera House
Alhambra (underrated, 20% culture = hermitage, allows you to train troops that start with march)
Globe Theater
Big Ben (a little underrated, good tech location, saves loads of gold)
Borobudur
Prora
Broadway
Uffizi
Louvre
Porcelain Tower
Forbidden Palace (underrated, world congress votes affect all victory conditions, provides most happiness out of all wonders)
Hanging Gardens (overrated)
Temple of Artemis (overrated, too early to be spending hammers on)
Stonehenge (overrated, better give up on religion if you have no faith pantheons)
Notre Dame
Colossus (great but not essential for every civ, overrated)
Chicen Itza (Probably overrated)
Machu Picchu
Petra
5-Hubble Space Telescope (this basically speeds up your victory, if you could even get to this point to build it, you are probably on the way to winning anyway, overrated)
4-Statue of Liberty (Petra equivalent, but it comes too late for the hammers to be really significant, probably overrated)
3-Eiffel Tower
2-Sistine Chapel
1-Leaning Tower of Pisa (a good wonder nonetheless but there are wonders more worth building, a little overrated)

The Porcelain Tower I build last so it doesn't intervene with natural Great Scientists. Otoh by the time Neuschwanstein becomes available, there is no shortage of happiness or gold and my cities are building research labs, not castles. Taj Mahal typically gets built between public school and factory, when there is nothing else that is urgent.

What a strange list. Some of the best wonders (like Taj Mahal) are at the bottom. Neuschwanstein? I've never built it.

I never build castles so I would only build Neuschwanstein to satisfy CS quests. But in my last game, I really did the math on how much I could get out of going back and building castles in all my cities. In the last game, they take you 2 turns (1 for the walls, 1 for the castle), cost nothing in maintenance, and with Neuschwanstein, they become little happiness/gold/culture/tourism boosters.

Based on this list
45-Angkor Wat
44-Pentagon
43-CN Tower
42-Terracotta Army
41-Parthenon
40-Cristo Redentor
Red Fort
Taj Mahal
Statue of Zeus
Kremlin
Great Firewall
Great Wall
Great Mosque of Djenne
Himeji Castle
Great Lighthouse
Mausoleum of Halicarnassus
Pyramids
Brandenburg Gate
Great Library
Hagia Sophia
Sydney Opera House
Alhambra
Globe Theater
Big Ben
Borobudur
Prora
Broadway
Uffizi
Louvre
Porcelain Tower
Forbidden Palace
Hanging Gardens
Temple of Artemis
Stonehenge
Notre Dame
Colossus
Chicen Itza
Machu Picchu
Petra
5-Hubble Space Telescope
4-Statue of Liberty
3-Eiffel Tower
2-Sistine Chapel
1-Leaning Tower of Pisa

Based on this list the most overrated ones are
1. Statue of liberty (by the time you get this production what's really left to build that you need).

2. Chicen Itza it's very similar to Taj Mahal (+ 4 happiness extra golden age vs longer golden ages ) yet it's in the top 10 where as Taj is in the bottom 10.

Most underrated

1. Forbidden Palace. Basically hands you a proposal which can snow ball and has tremendous happiness effects.

2. GL, I would normally say GL is overrated but based on this list itit certainly deserves to be higher. Yes it's difficult to build on higher difficulties but it's effect is much more powerful than globe theater.

Neuschwanstein is for dom games, which is why it is on the bottom of the tech tree. Considering you may already have castles from Auto (or at least your puppets may), it is a lot of free happiness and gold.

Very useful if the culture leader is hiding behind some deeply entrenched friends and you need to fight through with dissident ideology unhappiness.

Of course it isn't useful if all you play is 4 city tradition space victory games.

The Colossus could easily be one of the most over rated wonders because you get to build it but you don't always get to use the trade route that is included with the Colossus.

The Colossus could easily be one of the most over rated wonders because you get to build it but you don't always get to use the trade route that is included with the Colossus.

No.

1) The likelihood of this happening is slim to none.

2) If you build it without a valid trade route: oops. That doesn't make it a bad wonder.

3) Even if the above is true, you have still gained 5gpt and an extra 2 for every trade route made with the city. Plus you gain one of two additional trade route slots which is worth 10gpt by the Renaissance.

Top Bottom