Non-male Civfanatics Can Has Poll?

Civfanatics, what are your Gender Identifications?

• Male

Votes: 101 91.8%
  • Female

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Transgender

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Mixed Gender

• Asexual

• Other/Undecided

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
As a person studying Media Sociology, I have recently become curious as to how many people that play Civilization games are Non-Male so I made a poll that only measures the percentage of male/non-male players that actively participate in message forums on the internet.

Sorry, I know I'm being a bit of a jerk by pointing this out, but yeah.

Interesting article and a good read for people who are douchebags to girls online. I find that online gaming in general is a wretched hive of scum and villainy, which is why I play Civ5 and Skyrim and not Call of Duty or GTA5.

Sorry, I know I'm being a bit of a jerk by pointing this out, but yeah.

Interesting article and a good read for people who are douchebags to girls online. I find that online gaming in general is a wretched hive of scum and villainy, which is why I play Civ5 and Skyrim and not Call of Duty or GTA5.

A few things come to mind to respond to your concerns.

Firstly, pointing out that a Poll will only find an answer drawn form those who choose to take the poll is both unproductive, and well obvious. As such, I guess I can only agree that obviously, a Poll cannot answer any question if people don't take the Poll.

Secondly, I play Civilization, Skyrim, Call of Duty, and GTA 5. I am a non-discriminating Gamer both in Game Genre and how I treat my fellow players. Although some GTA 5 Online and Call of Duty players show Misogynistic Tendencies...it is becoming far less prevalent than most people believe. Studies are being done on this as we speak, and they provide me with a lot of hope in my Research.

Lastly, thank you for linking that interesting article. I have rarely seen this kind of behavior toward Non-Male Gamers on Ventrilo (when I used to play WoW for a few years.)

If your purpose is to determine who visits civfanatics then such a poll is alright.

However if you're really looking at estimating what percentage of each gender play the game (in general) then it's pretty much worthless. The population of civfanatics forum is unlikely to be a representative sample of the player base in general.

Especially in a context of a serious study (like your OP suggested).

As a side note, you probably wouldn't be able to go beyond such a poll with your limited means though.

If your purpose is to determine who visits civfanatics then such a poll is alright.

However if you're really looking at estimating what percentage of each gender play the game (in general) then it's pretty much worthless. The population of civfanatics forum is unlikely to be a representative sample of the player base in general.

As a side note, you probably wouldn't be able to go beyond such a poll with your limited means though.

I am looking at this Poll as a small part of my ongoing Sociological Research more than an endpoint. Perhaps, it can be fairly said that Sociological Research primarily consists of taking multiple Polls and conducting a lot of Studies in the hopes to examine and interpret Social Trends with the end goal of understanding what is happening and why it is happening. As such, this is just one more way for me to gather a little more data in my estimation.

It's still interesting though, especially if you had some way to find data for Civ V players overall (through Steam maybe ?), because it would be enlightening to see if the ratio changes betwenn casual gamers and people who post here (not everyone who doesn't post here is casual, but I would argue that most of them are, at least in terms of how they approach Civ if not gaming in general. My guess would be that civfanatics has a higher proportion of males than the overall playerbase, but I'd love to see these numbers.

I am looking at this Poll as a small part of my ongoing Sociological Research more than an endpoint. Perhaps, it can be fairly said that Sociological Research primarily consists of taking multiple Polls and conducting a lot of Studies in the hopes to examine and interpret Social Trends with the end goal of understanding what is happening and why it is happening. As such, this is just one more way for me to gather a little more data in my estimation.

I'm just suggesting that it's hard to justify using it for the general population. As long as you're aware of what it really represents, that's fine.

It's still interesting though, especially if you had some way to find data for Civ V players overall (through Steam maybe ?), because it would be enlightening to see if the ratio changes betwenn casual gamers and people who post here (not everyone who doesn't post here is casual, but I would argue that most of them are, at least in terms of how they approach Civ if not gaming in general. My guess would be that civfanatics has a higher proportion of males than the overall playerbase, but I'd love to see these numbers.

Of course.

As a side note I always wondered why developers weren't doing polls in their own games (probably some does). At the age of DRM where it's easy to reach your customer base (because they're connected) I would have expected to see it as common practice (and it's cheap).

Also I wonder what impact it has on the customer perception of the product too (being able to bring some feedback directly to the developer). Might be an interesting research subject :)

As a side note I always wondered why developers weren't doing polls in their own games (probably some does).
To this day one of the greatest developer outreach initiatives I've ever witnessed in a post-release game was when Mythic used a handful of polls via the launcher for their MMO title DAoC.

Maybe the reason I've never seen this practice continued is that the hallmark poll from that shortlived initiative produced what to developers may have seemed the worst possible outcome; the most supported option was to flat out disable a specific previous expansion.

I am female. I would say I play pretty casually at the moment because I started playing a MMOARPG. Civilization V is what I play when that game is offline or I am tired of past-paced gameplay.

What does the A in MMOARPG stand for? Or was that just a typo?

*Rolls eyes* you don't decide your gender.

While your opinion is welcome, please refrain from telling others how to determine their own Gender Identity. I am going to assume that you meant to say that you do not determine the sexual organs with which you are born. However, Gender is a Psychological and Sociological Construct, but let me be very clear that I am not saying this to be PC or to be a SJW. For over four decades it has been medically possible to change your sexual organs to fit you preferred Gender Identity. Please respect that other people have the right to choose their Gender Identity rather than being stuck with antiquate dualities based upon birth sex organs.

My girlfriend and I both play CiV together, but she doesn't have an account on this site. This poll is good for determining how many CivFanatics members are male/non-male, but not the demographics of all Civ players.

66:5 ration so far so we are looking at roughly 13 Male to 1 Non-Male. This ratio on Civfanatics is higher than I had expected. Food for thought.

So...... I'm actually a trained statistician (the analyst in the title is not just a name). I've even worked as a TA for stats (though we don't call it that in Australia, we call it Tutor).

And many here are missing an important point.

As many have pointed out the poll here isn't a measure of the gender ratio of the people who play Civilization 5.

The poll here ALSO isn't a measure of the gender ratio of people on the Civfanatics website....

It's a measure of the gender ratio of people who answer polls on Civfanatics....

But here's the thing - I still think it's a good idea. Not as a final output, but as a good beginning point. You have to start somewhere.... And a (admittedly biased) collection of reasonably hard-core players is a good place to start.

Good Luck with the research.

So...... I'm actually a trained statistician (the analyst in the title is not just a name). I've even worked as a TA for stats (though we don't call it that in Australia, we call it Tutor).

And many here are missing an important point.

As many have pointed out the poll here isn't a measure of the gender ratio of the people who play Civilization 5.

The poll here ALSO isn't a measure of the gender ratio of people on the Civfanatics website....

It's a measure of the gender ratio of people who answer polls on Civfanatics....

But here's the thing - I still think it's a good idea. Not as a final output, but as a good beginning point. You have to start somewhere.... And a (admittedly biased) collection of reasonably hard-core players is a good place to start.

Good Luck with the research.

Thank you for the excellent points you raise, and also for wishing me well in my ongoing research.

Asexual refers to sexual orientation, and mixed gender is an invalid category -- people would identify as non-binary or gender-fluid/genderqueer.

I'm proud to present to you the award for Most Politically Correct Poll Ever. Congrats sir, it must have taken way more effort than is actually necessary to create a poll.

Aside from that, the results are actually somewhat surprising. I would have expected much more females; maybe they just don't frequent the forums?

Asexual refers to sexual orientation, and mixed gender is an invalid category -- people would identify as non-binary or gender-fluid/genderqueer.

I agree that my options were perhaps incomplete or imprecise. Sociological Gender Terminology is changing quite quickly, so if I have left any options out, please accept my apologies.

I'm proud to present to you the award for Most Politically Correct Poll Ever. Congrats sir, it must have taken way more effort than is actually necessary to create a poll.

Aside from that, the results are actually somewhat surprising. I would have expected much more females; maybe they just don't frequent the forums?

This poll did in fact take a lot of time to hammer out to attempt maximum Inclusive Terms. As to Females, I expect that some Females would not Click or Answer because they have been acculturated to not reveal that they are Female online (for fear of negative interactions from some Males). Surely, there are also many other reasons that we may not be seeing a true picture from this small Poll.

What is asexual??

Top Bottom