CS wont grant me strategic resources?

Question

King
I paid a CS tons of gold and now they are my ally, but they arent granting me their coal....they have a mine on it but im not getting any coal from them. Does anyone know why?"

This is a long-observed "feature" in the game. Take a look at this thread (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=508615), including Dennis Shirk's reply (the thread related to aluminum, but coal and uranium work the same way).

Okay, ready for this (it's a strange one). Under the hood, it's working correctly, but the UI is failing to give the player the feedback they need.

Even though the player has the tech to see and recognize the Aluminum, the City-State has not yet tech'd up to Electricity to be able to "hook it up". We can see this by looking at the AI log, but this information is not front-facing in any way unfortunately.

Thanks for catching this, we'll look to make this apparent to the player.

For whatever reason, if the CS does not have the right improvement on the tile, and you gift them 200 gold to improve that tile, you will get the coal, aluminum, oil, etc. -- think of the gift as a tech transfer payment. Since the AI will probably have a mine on every hill in its borders, the gift to improve a resource works best with oil (obviously the CS won't have pre-existing oil wells or offshore drilling platforms if it doesn't have the required tech already), but since uranium is often found on flat tiles, it can often work there as well.

I've had this happen but then later at some point I do get it. Sometimes it takes a while.

Wow i cant believe this hasnt been fixed.

Is there a mod out there that will fix it so the CS will give you the resource regardless of whether they have the tech or not? If not, how do you mod something like that?

Well I for one never noticed such thing in my games.

Not a bug, you have to wait for the CS to get the tech to unlock the strategic resource. Since the city states are granted techs when the second major civ reach it, that just means to play on a higher difficulty level so that the AI stays competitive in techs longer if its taking too long.

I think its broken because in reality you would have the option of teaching their workers how to work the resource, or having your people go there and work for a fee. But civ 5 is too abstract and doesnt allow you to have situations like that...

Plus its buggy that you do get the resource if you gift them the gold to improve it, but you cant gift them the gold without destroying the improvement somehow...

I do not run into this problem often because I prefer not to rely on a CS as the sole source of a Strategic Resource. Often it is better to Conquer a City State Ally with a New Strategic Resource if they are incapable of Improving that tile.

I don't know that I'd just haul off and whack a CS for a strategic resource. The consequences are steep and it makes you really pay with the other CS's. I save great generals for these situations and grab the borders of the cs if I can. You can at least bribe your way out of trouble there.

I do feel your pain. I've had to citadel chain like ten tiles away a couple of times for oil.

Citadel chain for oil? Damn son, I feel you.

Don't even get me started on coal. Effing coal. My denouncing neighbor has 44. I have three. After I use a GG.

At least you have enough coal to pick an ideology! Well, if your denouncing neighbor has a weak military, you could just take that coal for yourself.... :mischief:

Top Bottom