Why are my fighters not intercepting?

Question

King
I have 4 fighters on a carrier just 2 tiles away from a city, yet the AI keeps bombing the city with great war bombers, and not a single interception is made...ive re-issued the intercept order multiple times but they just arent intercepting the enemy bombers, whats going on?

A basic GW fighter has a low chance to intercept. Its best go give them 2 ranks in interception or else don't bother.

Ranks affect Interception? That's new.

Ranks affect Interception? That's new.

It doesn't. The Promotion interception adds +33% combat strength when interception. Evasion reduces damage taken if intercepted by 50%. The chance of interception is 50% for Triplanes and 100% for Fighters and Jetfighters.

Information taken from Civilization Wiki (so if that's wrong ...).

Naw man, sounds right for me.

I should I say that AA guns and mobile sams also have an interception chance of 100% (range 2).

After all, they were designed to shoot down planes.

Don't know if this helps, but I build fighters when I can get three promotions. I always do the intercept promos as it will unlock the promotion which allows 2 intercepts per turn. I don't use fighters for anything else, so it's worth the investment.

Don't know if this helps, but I build fighters when I can get three promotions. I always do the intercept promos as it will unlock the promotion which allows 2 intercepts per turn. I don't use fighters for anything else, so it's worth the investment.

True. True.

I can't say I only use fighters for interception, but I only use them that way when I start a confrontation, until I've dealt with their airforce.

Play as Japan.
Build Zeros
Instant win.

Like i said i had fighters, not tri planes. Yet the AI kept bombing my city turn after turn and im not getting any "your fighter intercepted the blah blah blah" messages? Nothing in the notifications log either. I even gave them double interception upgrades....

Could you try moving one fighter to the city and see if that helps.

Also, could the enemy be doing sweeps with his own fighters- by the time his bombers have arrived your fighters have used their interceptions?

Im not sure, are air sweeps logged? Im not getting any messages to that effect...

That I'm not sure of. If you fl them you'll get a message that your sweep or whatever encountered no opposition, but I've not "notice" anything about the AI flying a sweep. However, in saying that, they seem singularly inept in intercepting so they must be doing something with their fighters.

Do they have any cities with fighters stationed in them that are nearby? Maybe Browd or such could fill us in. (If they are on a carrier you haven't lcated it would be difficult to tell).

It's a slightly different topic but this seems like the perfect thread for this.

I was up against the Iroquois as America. I had B-17 bombers doing missions into his city. He had absolutely no AA guns on the continent, no jets in the city, and no jets on carriers. Yet he nearly shot down one of my B-17s. He did have level 100 defense which means he probably had a military base built. And he did have a bomber in the city.

Will either one of those defend against bombers? Is there any other building that protects against bombing campaigns? Or is damage taken by a bombing mission guaranteed everytime you fly a bomber? Is there just a percentage chance that a bomber will take up 50 points of damage by just doing a bombing mission?

He did have level 100 defense which means he probably had a military base built. And he did have a bomber in the city. Will either one of those defend against bombers? Is there any other building that protects against bombing campaigns? Or is damage taken by a bombing mission guaranteed everytime you fly a bomber? Is there just a percentage chance that a bomber will take up 50 points of damage by just doing a bombing mission?

The bomber in the city did not matter, but city strength is a huge factor. Bombers take some damage every run, but once you have air repair, you may not notice. Interception means quite a bit of damage, but can be more or less than 50 points. Even with evasion, a full strength B-17s can die on its first run against a strong city.

I have 4 fighters on a carrier just 2 tiles away from a city, yet the AI keeps bombing the city with great war bombers, and not a single interception is made...ive re-issued the intercept order multiple times but they just arent intercepting the enemy bombers, whats going on?

Weird. My fighters intercept every time an enemy plane is in range.

Top Bottom