Votes: 28 32.9%
  • I don't care too much

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • Radioactive Monkey

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters

classical_hero

In whom I trust
I was wondering how people pronounce this simple word call ed Derby. There will be on two options because as far as I know there are only two different pronouncations of this word.
1. I pronounce 'Derby' as the way it looks.
2. I pronounce 'Derby' as 'Darby'.
I am one of those who pronounce the word the first option. I am puzzled at how a word that has an 'e' in ti can be pronounce as 'a'. Please post you thoughts.

Darby.

It's just one of those peculiarities of the English language that it is pronounced as Darby. Like how "put" and "but" don't rhyme.

Mise said:
Darby.

It's just one of those peculiarities of the English language that it is pronounced as Darby. Like how "put" and "but" don't rhyme.
Yes. The English language has to be the most confusing languages every has been used. :cringe:

I pronounce it 'darby'. It would seem unusual to me to hear it pronounced 'derby'.

My father is from Derby (pronounced like Dell said). Jesus, does their football team suck. You no longer fear hell after spending a cold rainy afternoon watching a nil-nil draw between Derby and Crystal Palace.

I say "Darby".

A few centuries ago, there was a sound-change going on in English, turing medial -er- to -ar-. For whatever reason, the change was then mostly rolled back, leaving a few rephonematicized oddities like "Derby".

Another example is "varsity", originally a shortening of "university". As you see, here the spelling was changed to suit.

English can be wierd like that, like how a "t" can sound like "ch" any way I say Darby.

It should be pronounced 'darby', be it the place or the race. If you want confusingly pronounced place names, though, then leave Derby alone and go to good ol' Featherstonehaugh. That one can only have been intentional.

Halcyon said:
It should be pronounced 'darby', be it the place or the race. If you want confusingly pronounced place names, though, then leave Derby alone and go to good ol' Featherstonehaugh. That one can only have been intentional.

And the pronunciation is....

I pronounce it in a way in which it rhymes with "kirby" or "curby." Here in the SE United States, I have always heard it pronounced this way, as in "The Kentucky Derby." My two cents.

'Darby', it's kind of like "Clark" instead of "Clerk"

western australians :rolleyes:

have to cringe everytime west coast play freo :cringe:

it's darby.

Derby...I don't think I've EVER heard it pronounced darby....

Derby, I've never heard someone say Darby. I don't care much, either, so you should have allowed us to put multiple choices. ;)

Top Bottom