Civilization II Unlimited

Did the Civ2 Unlimited patch overcome the global max units from 2048 to 32000 problem in the end?
According to Elys in post #31, he fixed it. If anyone else tested it, they didn't report any problems. I was only interested in events memory at the time and that's all I tested. This thread is over 2 years old and the patcher has been downloaded more than 170 times. No complaints yet.
Can we apply this to .hot games that are already in progress?
There's only one way to find out. I know it works with standard ToT saved games created by an unpatched executable.

I'd also recommend testing it with Red Front. There were enough people complaining about the unit limit in that scenario, I'm surprised no-one's ever done it. This was announced in the SL forum back at the time of release.

I have done some testing already and it seems to work perfectly. Shame there is no way around the maximum nations and cities limits but you can't have everything. The extra units will make a big difference to the multiplayer games which often run into the "Too many units" problem.

Are you sure this was announced at the Scenario League? I can't remember hearing anything about it before and I would have thought that after all the problems with too many units messages in Red Front someone there would have noticed this. I did see Curtsibling post here though so I guess the SL crowd must have been aware. Still, better late than never.

I had not realized how busy the General Forum was here at CFC. I will need to check in more regularly. It is the reverse of Apolyton where the General thread is dead and the Scenario Creation thread is relatively active.

Shame there is no way around the maximum nations and cities limits but you can't have everything.
That's a major undertaking and would certainly break compatibility with earlier games and scenarios. Might as well start from scratch.
Are you sure this was announced at the Scenario League?
Yep. Here's the thread. And you're in it! :p
I had not realized how busy the General Forum was here at CFC. I will need to check in more regularly. It is the reverse of Apolyton where the General thread is dead and the Scenario Creation thread is relatively active.
I told you that in another thread.

I must be getting old you know, I had completely forgotten about that. I guess I must have been busy at the time and did not keep up with what was going on. As nobody posted about it again it was consigned to the broom cupboard of my brain ;) And now to make things even worse I appear to be forgetting conversations I had a few days ago!

:old:

Aside from that I want to add the General Forum here as a favorite like I used to do with XP but either Firefox or Vista won't show me that option. I used to sat as favorite and then copy/paste the shortcut onto my desktop. I can't work out how to do this anymore. It makes life much easier for me when I can click my way through the shortcuts on the desktop to keep up with developments on all the sites. Any ideas on how to accomplish this with Vista?

I can bookmark the page and it seems to go into a folder called Bookmarks Menu but I can't find that folder anywhere. I have searched for it with no results. Sometimes I can be incredibly dim :D

Aside from that I want to add the General Forum here as a favorite like I used to do with XP but either Firefox or Vista won't show me that option. I used to sat as favorite and then copy/paste the shortcut onto my desktop. I can't work out how to do this anymore. It makes life much easier for me when I can click my way through the shortcuts on the desktop to keep up with developments on all the sites. Any ideas on how to accomplish this with Vista?
I don't have Vista. Do you have User Access Control enabled?
I can bookmark the page and it seems to go into a folder called Bookmarks Menu but I can't find that folder anywhere. I have searched for it with no results.
Firefox bookmarks aren't stored as discrete URL files like IE's Favorites, so you're not going to find them like that. In WinXP/Vista they're stored in a JSON file under \Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles in your user profile. There's usually a few backup versions of the file from the last few days. You can export them as an HTML document from within Firefox - not that that's going to help you out here.

Do you have User Access Control enabled?

First thing I did ;)

Thanks for the answer Catfish. I feel a bit dumb now. All I needed to do was find the IE launcher, look at the pages using that and set them as favorites, then copy and paste the shortcuts from the Favorites folder to the desktop! Doh!

I stopped using IE after I heard about some security flaw and since then I deleted the launcher shortcut and just use Firefox and Google Chrome depending on what I want to do. Looks like IE still has its uses though!

Back to the thread subject now then ;)

I did some tests to see if Civ2 Unlimited worked OK with MGE hotseat games. I can cheat units over the 2048 limit and the game seems to run except the defense minister does not seem to acknowledge the extra units and they don't seem to show up on the opening screen where you pick the Civ you want to play from the list of players (IE Japanese 24 Cities 244 Units). Has this been noticed before?

All I needed to do was find the IE launcher, look at the pages using that and set them as favorites, then copy and paste the shortcuts from the Favorites folder to the desktop!
A roundabout way of achieving what should be a straightforward task in Firefox. Whatever works, I guess.
I stopped using IE after I heard about some security flaw and since then I deleted the launcher shortcut and just use Firefox and Google Chrome depending on what I want to do.
They've all got security flaws. It's just a question of which has the least and the level of severity. Also consider that the more popular browsers are going to have more people trying to poke holes in them. I have Firefox, IE7 and Opera installed. I use the last two for testing. I'll have to take a look at Chrome.
I did some tests to see if Civ2 Unlimited worked OK with MGE hotseat games. I can cheat units over the 2048 limit...
That must've been fun. Gotta love ToT's Count parameter for CreateUnit (up to 127 units per event).
...and the game seems to run except the defense minister does not seem to acknowledge the extra units and they don't seem to show up on the opening screen where you pick the Civ you want to play from the list of players (IE Japanese 24 Cities 244 Units). Has this been noticed before?
If it has, then no-one's posted about it. Here's the best place for it.

AGRICOLA posted this at the SL Forum:
I did some testing a long time ago. IIRC, one of my conclusions was that a scen had to be developed using the NOLIMIT CIV2.exe. Hope I'm wrong on that, but I would test LaBelle Epoque with the NOLIMIT .exe before starting play.

Can anyone confirm if this is correct or not. I really hope it is not!

Yes, the F2 button still cannot report on the number of units
of a particular type once there are more than 255.

This bothers me not at all.

I dont know if I am the last person on earth to still play civ 2, but I really love that game.

As a matter of fact, I reach the 255 city limit, and this is really annoying.

Someone know how to overpass the limit by now ?

There are still quite a few veteran players around so your not the last. Unfortunately nobody has found a reliable way of getting more than 255 cities. Civ2Unlimited increased the units and other limits, but the game became unstable if more than 255 cities were introduced.

Hi, I'd like to download this software: Unlimited Civilization 2. However I do not know where to find it. Could someone send me the download link for my email?

ericovdss@hotmail.com

Thank

Top Bottom