Welcome to Orbis - Download Information

I think it's something like <iAirRange>1</iAirRange> , maybe I don't know a lot about this.

Guess what? This fix worked!

Before I implemented the fix (which required changing all of the airrange to 0 for all units with a ranged attack) we were getting OOS erros after just about EVERY ranged attack (NOT bombardment, that works fine), now we barely ever have any OOS errors.

well ... i advise to use vanilla ffh for multiplayer since it has lowest rate of OOS
(( so far i only experienced OOS when Basium or Hyborem summoned ))

I haven't discovered if Hyborem summoned yet but the only OOS error we are getting now is when we hire mercs. I don't think thats working yet but, luckily, the computer doesnt appear to hire mercs.

Played for about six hours with only one OOS error due to merc hiring.

Orbis multiplayer WILL and CAN work! :goodjob:

I play Orbis in multiplayer without problems. But it's in hotseat mode ;)
hehe, yeah, that just doesn't count. You can't go out of sync with yourself, can you?

If anyone is interested I could upload the modified units file so other people can play Orbis multiplayer.

I wonder why ranged attacks are causing OOS though. We should try to fix that so you would be able to use it even in MP :)

With the new version of Better economic AI (V. 0.5) coming out today, any plans on including some of his changes into this mod. Specifically the work that was done in CvGameUtils.py?

Thank you for all your hard work Orbis team.

With the new version of Better economic AI (V. 0.5) coming out today, any plans on including some of his changes into this mod. Specifically the work that was done in CvGameUtils.py?

Thank you for all your hard work Orbis team.
Turin's AI mod could be a great addition and is already somehow in LENA; but the fact is that Orbis and FFH don't play the same way, so his mod would need to be adapted to Orbis gameplay. Not sure I want to spend time doing this though.

@ James009
Thanks for the info.
I do not have much reports on OOS apart from"there are OOS". And it is hard to test without a normal advanced game.
Mercenaries have 2 spells. The standard one that AI uses and that is advised to use in MP. Expanded mercenaries one (the red icon) does cause OOS. I have no idea what is casuing the OOS but do not think it can be fixed without removing expanded mercs. Please use standar mercenaries in simultaneous turns.
I wonder why ranged attacks are causing OOS though. We should try to fix that so you would be able to use it even in MP :)
I wonder too. It is a feature I have take from Final frontier, so should work fine. Maybe some xp calcualtions? :confused:
We MP Orbis all the time, and ranged attacks do not particularly seem to be a source of OOS. We do occasionally have OOS problems, but we have yet to discern a clear pattern for them.
It does seem that both the Scions and Grigori do not behave properly if more then one player plays them in MP.
Is game playable? I mean OOS happen, but not every turn? and reloading helps?
I have an older laptop and it is on xp while I use vista on desktop so I am not sure what is causing OOS for me.
I really need more info people. Ranged attacks should be fine, but if disabling them really helped... :cry:

You can try the "Ranged Attack" modifications if you want to check it but I've tested it thoroughly and results are evident. Games definatly go OOS much less then without it. I was getting OOS errors just about every turn and would have to reload the game to fix it... for one more turn. For the record, it is happening every turn because we were at war and archers (and boats) were using ranged attacks.

It's sort of like the Rise of Mankind MP fix that disables advanced settlers. In fact, maybe you should look into whatever Dale's Combat Mod uses for Ranged Attack and try to implement that. Dale's Combat Mod Ranged Bombardment works fine in MP.

I wonder too. It is a feature I have take from Final frontier, so should work fine. Maybe some xp calcualtions?
Otherwise, I'd say this is a good place to start. I may be wrong but when ranged attack fails we don't go OOS, probably because there is no XP gain.

So, maybe if we disable ranged attack XP gain for archers MP OOS will be fixed.

Attachments

• CIV4UnitInfos.rar
    51.2 KB · Views: 159
Well, I don't know what will fix the game.

I've deleted my cache both manually, and through holding shift.
I've tried using the disable events option
I've tried the XML file fix presented here.

Nothing works. I receive OOS errors immediately upon starting the multiplayer game. No turns, no attacks, just the start.

We've been trying Direct Connections over Hamachi, which seems to be the only way that we can see each other. We can't see LAN or internet games.

We've been trying Direct Connections over Hamachi, which seems to be the only way that we can see each other. We can't see LAN or internet games.

The problem might be more then the game if you can't even see each other. Try disabling anti-virus and firewall. Otherwise, one's game may be different then the other.

I'd suggest a clean re-install on both machines and update with patches. Then install the mod on one machine and copy and paste the mod directory to the other. That ensures that both machines have the same game, data, and mods.

You both need to have identical Civ 4 game, patches, and mods.

You also shouldnt be going OOS on gameload, it usually requires you to end a turn before an OOS.

Hope this helps!

Both of us have disabled our anti-virus (NOD32) and firewall (Comodo). I built both of our computers.

Just a thought about the OOS issues. I was looking at the Erebus.py file which is used if you decide to use the Erebus map feature with this mod. So for the people who are running into the OOS issues if you could chime in on what map type you are using. Anyway here is what I found in the comments:

##############################################################################
# Tunable variables
##############################################################################

#Decides whether to use the Python random generator or the one that is
#intended for use with civ maps. The Python random has much higher precision
#than the civ one. 53 bits for Python result versus 16 for getMapRand. The
#rand they use is actually 32 bits, but they shorten the result to 16 bits.
#However, the problem with using the Python random is that it may create
#syncing issues for multi-player now or in the future
, therefore it must
#be optional.
self.UsePythonRandom = True

So with the Erebus map by default it uses the Python Random functionality. So the Python Random functionality may be optional, but as a player if you select the Erebus map to play inside the game you do not have an option. You will be using the Python Random generator and if you are playing multi-player this could be contributing to the OOS problem.

We run into OOS frequently in our 2-4 player games running Orbis Continents.

Just to clarify. In the game there is a map type called "ErebusContinent" and another one called "Continents".

The ErebusContinent map uses the same Python random generator described above so these maps will have OOS issues as well. If you are using just the normal Continents map that is the one from vanilla civ.

I did not see a map option called "Orbis Continents".

There is OrbisContinents since the new patch. It's basically a Orbis friendly ErebusContinents, adding Haunted Lands, Crystal Plains and Kelp on generation.

But if what you say is right, maybe we should simply gives duplicate of the scripts renamed xxxMP.py so people wanting to play MP will just have to choose those.

But if what you say is right

I am actually not trying to say anything. All I did was paste a section of comments and a variable from the actual map file. I do agree that it would be of interest to change the variable to false and mark them the MP version of the map and see what the results are.

But please remember that by using the default random number generator instead of the python random number generator the actual map seed itself plus any other calculations that relay on the map seed might be very different in terms of results of what people are use to seeing with Erebus maps.

Ok, so I attached modified files for MP for those who want to give it a try without touching the base scripts :) Unzip them into Orbis/PrivateMaps/ ;)

Attachments

• OrbisContinentMP.zip
    37.6 KB · Views: 84
  • OrbisMP.zip
    24.4 KB · Views: 80
Top Bottom